Gibson Brands Forums

sj200

lappylugs3

Hi, i`m Kevin from Birmingham UK. My one ambition is to own a left handed Gibson acoustic - much easier said than done! Although i would not class myself as a " guitar player ", i can certainly belt through a song. I have owned many guitars - my present baby is a 2003 left handed limited edition Takamine "soaring eagle" electro acoustic ( which is the best guitar i have ever heard or owned!), but i would seriously love to own a Gibson acoustic. I fully appreciate the scarcity and value of this very limited left handed guitar, i have spotted one which i am seriously interested in buying - but i have my doubts about it`s originality, i would certainly appreciate any help i could get from you guys!. The guitar is a 2000 Gibson sj200 on sale with ebay uk - buy it now price £1750. The item number is 272816523632 - . I have my doubts about the scratch-plate alignment, plus the tuners have no make or markings on them, i would really value any member`s opinion regarding this guitar before i may step in and make a fool of myself, many thanks - Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Precious few pics on that listing, especially none of the back and sides of the guitar make it difficult to assess, but it looks genuine.

The serial number indicates a 2002 model, the machine heads/tuners not having a brand or marking on them is normal.

Scratchplate alignment notwithstanding, the price seems OK if all is intact, lefty SJ200 guitars are rare especially in Europe - I would definitely give it a look and a listen in person.

The seller is only 100 miles from you.

As an afterthought, I would suggest bringing your present guitar with you so that you can make a valid comparison in terms of feel, volume and tone, and make your decision based on that.

I owned a 1990 J200 a few years back which was a very fine guitar.

Archived