Gibson Brands Forums

Harm's Swift Way (take 2)

AnneS

Some of you will recall Lars's recent thread in which he unearthed for us some raw audio from one of Townes's last studio sessions, including his very dreary "Harm's Swift Way." In that discussion, I posted a take I'd done a number of years ago (more styled after the Robert Plant version, which actually don't much care for) and mentioned that I would likely need to return again to this gem..

I am drawn to the lyrics in some powerful way, but to serve them up with the delicacy they require--why, therein lies the rub.

Still, given that it's likely the last song he ever writ and that there are fewer than a handful who've covered it, I cannot resist trying. Here's another take, if you're interested--getting closer to full emergence, perhaps...

Harm's Swift Way (revisited)

(It's the maple J100 on both guitar tracks, each thrown a bit off-center--really highlights the imperfections, but there ya go.)

Oooh

That's real nice

I don't think I can connect to the tune from a players point of view

Maybe I'm just too content !

But I enjoyed that a lot

Thank ye, sir.

Funny you should say that--I am inordinately content these days myself. I don't know why this song pulls me so; I guess it could be called a sad song, but...not for me. The way it contemplates and considers the thresholds between land/sky, past/present, life/death is, for me, the best kind of stuff to chew on, lyrically and otherwise.

"The road is past, tomorrow, the sky. Between sometimes is blinding..." and "Wrapped in the road, all filled with above..." Timelessness. Elemental. And when you can stroke on the dropped bass string while coaxing those lyrics out--that doesn't hurt things one bit. :rolleyes:

I dunno--just celebrated the big six-oh, so maybe I've just been easing myself into it.

Oooh

That’s real nice

I don’t think I can connect to the tune from a players point of view

Maybe I’m just too content !

But I enjoyed that a lot

Anne, that was lovely. A job well done from a very talented lady!!!

I think it sometimes hard to see or really take in the artist point of view from the outside. If you could only can get in their head or heart when they create these songs would be amazing.

Archived