Gibson Brands Forums

I've been bad

bassetman

Crikey jinder you’ve had more guitars than Oliver Reid had drinks

Just a few!! Lots bought in times of financial fortitude as an investment and then sold when times got tight. Such is the ebb and flow of the work! Let me think back on the Gibson acoustics i've owned over the years, I wonder if memory will recall them all...

'03 SJ200 (fine, main stage guitar for 8yrs, wore it out over 1600 gigs!)

'94 "Early" J45 (stellar...sold to forum member Brendan Devereaux)

2005 Hummingbird MC (good but not great, traded for much better '07)

2006 CJ165 Maple (had top issues, went back to Gibson, refunded)

2007 Hummingbird MC (amazing guitar. Sold when dropped by Sony)

2007 Dove (custom ordered from Gibson, worst Dove I ever played)

2007 J45 MC (wonderful J45, sold it to my producer who still has it)

1968 B15 (funkiest parlour ever. Sold when I was dropped by Sony)

2009 L-00 Blues King (V nice. Sold when I was dropped by Universal!)

2002 Advanced Jumbo (Great, traded it with Mick Terry for my...)

1967 J45 (loud, dry, melancholy and amazing. Still here!)

2011 Dove (my grail Dove after a decade of searching. Still here!)

2014 LG2 American Eagle (okay, nothing special. Disliked the neck)

2016 J15 (such lovely tone. Sold to buy my SJ100 but want another)

2016 SJ200 Standard (brilliant 200. Absolute keeper. Still here!)

2014 SJ100 '41 Reissue (my dreamy, breathy, warm gem. Still here!)

1990 Hummingbird (VERY special guitar. So soulful. Still here!)

17 in all...not to mention some Martins and others. What a life we lead!

Ok...it's a keeper for sure. It plays very well indeed. The walnut has a very nice note, clearly different but nice. Only gripe is the tiny tuner knobs. Too small for me. Not an expensive fix. The action could come down a bit but I'll wait awhile for it to get used to my weather before changes. The walnut finger board iand bridge are gorgeous . The neck is very straight and feels like home....very happy in this guitar already.

So glad to hear you're happy with it. Lovely looking '15! And a nice tall saddle in there to allow PLENTY of wiggle room for future setups after settling. Gibson seem really hot on that at the moment. The '03 SJ200 I played as my main stage guitar for 8yrs or so was close to needing a neck reset when I bought it...I was young and inexperienced! I loved it and played it endlessly and had the necessary work done though. My current 2015 SJ200 had a great neck angle and TONS of saddle to play with though. This seems a trend amongst newer Gibson acoustics and I'm glad for it-nobody wants to be resetting a neck on a 2yr old guitar.

Neck angle is a big dealmaker/breaker for me, and I'm sure I'm not alone. The J15 I owned was just like yours-big juicy slice of saddle to play with!

Enjoy it in good health-I think the J15 is one of the best sub-£2000 acoustics on the market and a good one is a real lifetime keeper.

Yes, the saddle looks good. I don't see needing to lower it much more than a tad to get it just right. Haven't stopped playing it yet. It has a very thick pickguard. Slightly bothersome while playing. No glue drops or finger prints in it. Sheet says it was finished on 7/12/17 so it's a fresh one. The whole room smells like new guitar. :)

The J-15 is a lot of guitar for the money.

Got mine when they first came out (serial number is dated 1-2-14). It has a thin & nicely beveled pickguard - don't know why Gibson went to the thicker guard, but you could certainly swap it out rather easily.

Congrats & enjoy!

Developed a minor rattle on low notes. I tightened the nuts on the output jack and worked on the wires a bit. Problem solved. I will likely remove the pick up and wiring when I swap in a bone saddle and drop the action just a touch. Still amazingly happy with it. I took it to the park while the kids were playing. I may have sold a couple for Gibson. Seems relatively insensitive to local condition changes. It is normally hard to play outdoors in the summer here....you just can't stay tuned for long. Nearly anyone who wants a Gibson can afford a J15, the value for your money is there. An entry level guitar that plays as well as a top flight J45.

Lovelly walnut. A fine report. Glad to hear you were able to suss out the rattle- were you able to get a spanner inside to hold the inner nut, or just tighten the outside one? Also love the 3 pc maple neck with the walnut skunk stripe. As you suggest, the guitar should be a bit more stable in weather changes.

Big G would be happy to hear how you feel about the J-15's impressive value, as well. Looking at the specs for this guitar- Gibson won't be worrying too much about wood sourcing restrictions either: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2014/J-15-Dreadnought.aspx with it's walnut fretboard and bridge.

Lovelly walnut. A fine report. Glad to hear you were able to suss out the rattle- were you able to get a spanner inside to hold the inner nut, or just tighten the outside one? Also love the 3 pc maple neck with the walnut skunk stripe. As you suggest, the guitar should be a bit more stable in weather changes.

Big G would be happy to hear how you feel about the J-15's impressive value, as well. Looking at the specs for this guitar Gibson also won't be worrying too much about wood sourcing restrictions either: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2014/J-15-Dreadnought.aspx with it's walnut fretboard and bridge.

My daughters arm fits fine to put a spanned on the inner nut.

Archived