Gibson Brands Forums

Walter Becker Dead at 67

zigzag

Very sad to hear of Walter's passing.....

Over the last year I have added many Steely Dan live recordings to my collection

Unique meld of humour and jazz-inflected compositions delivered with top level musicianship

I read that Walter had had health issues in recent times

R.I.P.

And good luck to Donald continuing with the music for as long as he can......[thumbup]

V

:-({|=

I don't know if it my age or what, but we seem to keep losing so many guitar and rock icons lately.

Here is another talented player gone and I'm sure there are some virtuosos coming up, but I don't hear too many that can play like this guy or Glen Campbell, Alvin Lee, or write and sing like Bowie did.

Again, may just be my age, but seems like the great ones are going fast.

I don't know if it my age or what, but we seem to keep losing so many guitar and rock icons lately.

Yep. Do the math. Our idols are all approaching 70 or 80... all the icons of what is now called "Clsssic Rock" are old. It's going to get worse - not better.

Knowing it's coming still doesn't prepare you for losing an artist who's music you enjoyed I guess. But folks, it's coming. They are all going at some point. I'm just glad they left us a recorded legacy to enjoy. [thumbup]

1504657131[/url]' post='1879644']

Yep. Do the math. Our idols are all approaching 70 or 80... all the icons of what is now called "Clsssic Rock" are old. It's going to get worse - not better.

Knowing it's coming still doesn't prepare you for losing an artist who's music you enjoyed I guess. But folks, it's coming. They are all going at some point. I'm just glad they left us a recorded legacy to enjoy. [thumbup]

msp_thumbup.gif Isn't that the truth.

This was one of the worst of the horrible string of rock and roll deaths for me. Steely Dan was one of my all time favorites. They were one of the rare bands that could own the sound of the 70's but not sound cheesy or dated. They did it so well, for so long. I just wish I could have seen them play more recently when they opened up a bit more. I saw them in '96 and it sounded like they were playing the album through the PA. The videos I've seen and comments I've heard from more recent shows make it look like they were a lot more like what you'd expect from a LIVE band.

I dug out my old vinyl of Pretzel Logic, the cover is faded and brown and is marked by the alternative use that was used back in the day. Ahem!

The record, however, remains unmarked and unscratched. What a treat to take a trip down memory lane.

I am so bummed about this. I hate to think that the Gibson forum has become my link to important to me obituaries but that is the case. My wife and I are out of town celebrating our anniversary and her birthday and I just saw this. Damn. I met him once. Super nice guy. RIP Walter.

Archived