Gibson Brands Forums

Sadly We Are Not Immune Here!

Digger

Sadly we are not immune here, even in a small country community.

This was on TV last night and it shocked me to see our closest town was the location of a surprising number of deaths from brewing up pain patches. I used to have these patches myself for back pain.

Bairnsdale is my local town, people in this report are 3 properties away from me and I've done tractor work for them in the past.

The chemist is our chemist (a lovely bloke) and all of this has escaped our notice in the past! We had a murder in town once and it shocked the community to the core!

Bairnsdale is a lovely friendly rural city of about 14000 residents. We live 15 kilometres out in the foothills and are in town every other day.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-03/opioid-crisis-creeping-up-in-regional-australia/8859996?WT.ac=localnews_gippsland

I guess we are somewhat more insulated from these things in our corner of the world and that's why it comes as more of a shock!

As I said a murder in town a few years ago rocked the place to the core, we just don't expect things like that to happen here!

I'm really glad I'm old and won't be around to see the world properly turn to poo as it's seems it's bound to do. Most of it I hate already~

I have had to help my own wife to climb out of the Hell hole that is Rx pain medication addiction.

It has been a long and difficult struggle, and (quite honestly) it's a miracle that she's alive to this day.

It's only a testimony to her will power (and how hard she chooses to work the 12-steps) that she is alive at all.

This is a world-wide epidemic, guys and gals.

And, considering that the pharmaceutical industry and the doctors all make a lot of money prescribing this junk (instead of focusing on wellness and mechanical/therapeutic/surgical alternatives), it's only going to get worse.

We have to keep our eyes wide open, refuse to stick our heads into the sand, and confront the addictions.

[mellow]

This sort of thing is everywhere. I always thought there was little or no drug problem in my small rural town until I spoke with a friend of mine who's a chemist in the town. What she told me was a real eye opener, there are thing going on that you just don't see.

I spent a large proportion of my working life warning kids of the dangers of drug use, I'd show them pictures of dead junkies, not much older than they were, it even nearly made some of the girls sick! I've no idea what sort of trouble I'd be in if a parent complained, but it seemed to work (or so I think).

I've no idea why people do this sort of thing, the consequences are well known, and I'm pretty sure there are quicker and easier was to kill yourself.

Ian

Sad isn't it? And so much drug overuse goes on all over. Many of the home break ins here are about hunting for drugs or what ever they can find, painkillers or whatever to get high.

Because of my lower back problem I've had all these drugs at one time or another, inc,. patches at a pretty high dose.

Last year with he gall bladder problems I regularly had morphine and a range of high powered pills.

I never once experienced any sort of rush, just relief from the bloody pain!

We must all be really different.

I had never heard of this.

Some folk are compelled to use a massive mixture of prescribed drugs every day just to stay pain free & alive. They would rather not have to. Dicing with death by using such opiates for recreation is almost unimaginable to them.

Yes, me too M.E.

I've managed to reduce medications considerably of late but still can't avoid taking some every day.

i've had amazing success with using self hypnosis on pain control but unfortunately it's not enough to cover it completely (yet).

better get used to it, cause it ain't going away. unchecked corporate greed is the underlying cause. thanks, big pharma

This is a large part of the underlying cause IMHO. Big Pharma doesn't want a cure, they only want to sell you more of whatever it is you're taking.

Thankful for the metabolism that I have because at 70 I'm still "prescription drug free".

Recently read an article that indicated that US states that have legalized "weed" have seen a near 25% decline in opiod overdoses. No one has ever OD'd on "weed" (not advocating its use, just making the comparison).

Once again, thanks Big Pharma.

1504560326[/url]' post='1879343']

Because of my lower back problem I've had all these drugs at one time or another, inc,. patches at a pretty high dose.

Last year with he gall bladder problems I regularly had morphine and a range of high powered pills.

I never once experienced any sort of rush, just relief from the bloody pain!

We must all be really different.

I hear you. I didn't mean you get high off pain killers, but here, they look for all sorts of stuff on break ins. Drugs, pain killers, spray paint cans, guess they sniff the paint fumes. Deb's friend Fay had her house broke in while she was gone and several criminals were inside when the neighbor called the police. 2 got away and the others were aressted. They were looking for anything she may have had in her medicine cabinet and they ransacked the house. Yeah, they gave me that morphine in the intensive care unit after my brain tumor surgery, my head hurt so bad I couldn't stand the pain but I was glad when they took me off that stuff. I didn't want to get addicted to it.

Archived