Gibson Brands Forums

I just purchased a Unusual Gibson and love it.

Gasman

Today I drove 80 miles to check out a Gibson Acoustic - Played it and loved it. It is a 1992 Gibson J-30 - It has Rosewood back and sides and a Pearl Gibson logo on the headstock - Teardrop pickguard and old kluson plastic tuners - Rosewood fingerboard and bridge. I don't think I have ever seen a Gibson J-30 with these features. I bought it because it reminded me so much of my 1994 Gibson Gospel that I sold and always wished I didn't.

Maybe someone out there can send me a little info. on this model. Label reads Rosewood J-30. Thanks Gasman

post-3921-018722900 1504571545_thumb.jpg

post-3921-056312000 1504571919_thumb.jpg

Today I drove 80 miles to check out a Gibson Acoustic - Played it and loved it. It is a 1992 Gibson J-30 - It has Rosewood back and sides and a Pearl Gibson logo on the headstock - Teardrop pickguard and old kluson plastic tuners - Rosewood fingerboard and bridge. I don't think I have ever seen a Gibson J-30 with these features. I bought it because it reminded me so much of my 1994 Gibson Gospel that I sold and always wished I didn't.

Maybe someone out there can send me a little info. on this model. Label reads Rosewood J-30. Thanks Gasman

Just looked up the Montana made J-30 in The Fabulous Flattops. It says it has a mahogany body, so yours must be a special Rosewood edition of it. The pickguard appears to be the same shape as the Gospel Reissue as does the belly up bridge.

The book says Ren Ferguson was behind Montana's design of the J-30's reissue from/at the Montana plant.

Enjoy!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

So a natural less-bling long-scale rosewood Hummingbird? (Or maybe the bird is a more-bling short-scale mahogany J30?)

Very very cool. And congrats!

Yes, or maybe a square shoulders less-bling J-200 with rosewood back and sides?

:-({|=

Congrats, pictures are small but must be a beauty. Guess the sound is great as well, can't wait to hear it.

Gibson shipped: 43--J-30 Rosewood in 1992

3-------------------1993

32-------------------1995

22-------------------1996

The guitar is not listed in the price list so it is outside normal production and is just a short run. I have played a few and wanted to buy one but.... So many guitars so little money... You are lucky to have found one.

The J-30 was first produced in Nashville in the mid-1980s. Based on the one example I have played around with, it was a short scale mahogany body guitar. When production was moved to Bozeman, Ren re-designed the guitar adding the longer scale. The most unusual J-30 though I have ever seen was owned by friend. It is an early Bozeman-built version with a black finish and which says "Nashville" on the TRC and has the RCA logo complete with Nipper on the headstock.

The J-30 was first produced in Nashville in the mid-1980s. Based on the one example I have played around with, it was a short scale mahogany body guitar. When production was moved to Bozeman, Ren re-designed the guitar adding the longer scale. The most unusual J-30 though I have ever seen was owned by friend. It is an early Bozeman-built version with a black finish and which says "Nashville" on the TRC and has the RCA logo complete with Nipper on the headstock.

They were made for RCA to be given out as rewards to company employees. Gibson has done a number of these types of short runs for other major companies. My favorite was the batch for Jose Quervo (sp?) I don't remember the particular model. I have a few of the inlays around here somewhere. You can't go wrong with guitars and tequila.

They were made for RCA to be given out as rewards to company employees. Gibson has done a number of these types of short runs for other major companies. My favorite was the batch for Jose Quervo (sp?) I don't remember the particular model. I have a few of the inlays around here somewhere. You can't go wrong with guitars and tequila.

If we're speaking of fine guitars and premium tequila, I'll second that emotion😂

Hey I just found out this Guitar was sold in a little music shop in Waco Texas that is no longer in business. And to think it made its way to right outside Philadelphia. I bet its got a lot of stories to tell. Well if it could talk...

Hey I just found out this Guitar was sold in a little music shop in Waco Texas that is no longer in business. And to think it made its way to right outside Philadelphia. I bet its got a lot of stories to tell. Well if it could talk...

Not all that unusual for a guitar to put some miles on it between homes. But I do know what you are talking about. I once bought a Gibson harp guitar that I found hanging on a restaurant wall as a decoration. How the heck it ended up there who knows. I still own a fiddle that was made by a guy who served in the Civil War and then worked as a ship's carpenter and as a pattern maker with the railroad. Adding to the mystery, it was literally broken in two when I stumbled across it.

That little music store in Waco was where I bought my SJ200. Beautiful face on yours - Never let her go!

That little music store in Waco was where I bought my SJ200. Beautiful face on yours - Never let her go!

Again, I apologize for butting into your thread. But as I had recommended a photo hosting site I figured I should probably test it out to make sure it worked and was easy. The J-200 was the first photo I came across.

That J-200 is not going anywhere. My wife confiscated it from me shortly after we were married. Before she took possession of it all I heard was how much she wanted a high end Taylor. After she took possession of the J-200 it became Bob who? She loves that Gibson and sees no need or reason to own any other guitar.

Sometimes though it all comes to down to fate or maybe it is just dumb luck. I have a pre-War Regal jumbo 12 string. You could go a lifetime and not see one come up for sale. I found this one sticking out of a trash can. I figured it was destiny that brought us together. It was just meant to be.

Again, I apologize for butting into your thread. But as I had recommended a photo hosting site I figured I should probably test it out to make sure it worked and was easy. The J-200 was the first photo I came across.

That J-200 is not going anywhere. My wife confiscated it from me shortly after we were married. Before she took possession of it all I heard was how much she wanted a high end Taylor. After she took possession of the J-200 it became Bob who? She loves that Gibson and sees no need or reason to own any other guitar.

Sometimes though it all comes to down to fate or maybe it is just dumb luck. I have a pre-War Regal jumbo 12 string. You could go a lifetime and not see one come up for sale. I found this one sticking out of a trash can. I figured it was destiny that brought us together. It was just meant to be.

Zombywoof - I totally understand what you are saying. Twenty five years ago when I sold my Gibson Gospel I truly felt I was doing it to purchase a better instrument that suited me more. But the truth is after all these years and countless Guitars I have owned - It all comes down to the fact that the Gibson Gospel I owned really was a well suited Guitar for me. It just took me all these years to figure it out.

Thats why when I found the Gibson J-30 I honestly don't remember being as happy with a guitar purchase than I have been in a very long time.

Right now my local Luthier is giving it a complete look over (might have a top crack issue) but I can't wait to get it back.

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words - And your J-200 is in very good hands.

Archived