Gibson Brands Forums

My 2015 Midtown Standard

Airedale1

I finally got a bit of time to take a picture of my NOS 2015 Midtown Standard. I really love everything about this guitar. It plays beautifully, action is very nice and I love the neck. When I first got it it had the GForce tuners and I immediately swapped them out for a set of Grovers. Also, the Standard does not come with a pick guard so I had one made for it. The stings were too light for my taste so I put on a set of Curt Mangan nickel wound 11-52's w/a wound G string.

I am very happy with this guitar!

vD3Vhim.jpg

Good looking guitar. The addition of the pick guard looks great. I have a 15' midtown standard and love it as well. Mine actually came from the factory with grovers so I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that, and I got it for a steal from AMS which made it even sweeter of a deal. I passed up a midtown Kalamazoo a few years ago that I wish I had to pair with my standard. It was a dandy as well. I have been on the fence about adding a pick guard for a while now but this may push me towards doing it.

• 2 months later...

I finally got a bit of time to take a picture of my NOS 2015 Midtown Standard. I really love everything about this guitar. It plays beautifully, action is very nice and I love the neck. When I first got it it had the GForce tuners and I immediately swapped them out for a set of Grovers. Also, the Standard does not come with a pick guard so I had one made for it. The stings were too light for my taste so I put on a set of Curt Mangan nickel wound 11-52's w/a wound G string.

I am very happy with this guitar!

vD3Vhim.jpg

Yeah, Midtowns look a million times better with pickguards. I have a black Custom, I couldnt bring myself to get a Standard because I dont like the way they look without a pickguard and i couldnt find a source for one.

Yeah, Midtowns look a million times better with pickguards. I have a black Custom, I couldnt bring myself to get a Standard because I dont like the way they look without a pickguard and i couldnt find a source for one.

I couldn't bring myself to get a Custom because I am not a fan of the Richlite fretboard.

I was able to source the pickguard from Mile Quick here: http://www.quickguards.com/

He is great to do business with and the pickguard is a correct 5 ply duplicate. Excellent craftsmanship!

I couldn't bring myself to get a Custom because I am not a fan of the Richlite fretboard.

I was able to source the pickguard from Mile Quick here: http://www.quickguards.com/

He is great to do business with and the pickguard is a correct 5 ply duplicate. Excellent craftsmanship!

Honestly I don’t care one way or the other about the Richlite but I know a lot of people are turned off by it. I have a bigger problem with the cheap looking inlays, they look really chintzy compared to my LP Custom.

Honestly I don’t care one way or the other about the Richlite but I know a lot of people are turned off by it. I have a bigger problem with the cheap looking inlays, they look really chintzy compared to my LP Custom.

I always liked dot markers better. My 1980 ES Artist had a real ebony fretboard with very cool offset dot markers. That being said, how does it play? Are you happy with it? IMO that's all that really matters.

If you haven't already seen this video check out my friend Danny Roffe tearing it up on his Midtown Custom.

I always liked dot markers better. My 1980 ES Artist had a real ebony fretboard with very cool offset dot markers. That being said, how does it play? Are you happy with it? IMO that's all that really matters.

If you haven't already seen this video check out my friend Danny Roffe tearing it up on his Midtown Custom.

I’ve had tuning issues with it. I’ve got them sort of sorted out, but it’s not perfect. I love the sound (when in tune) and the neck.

Your friend can play. Not my style of music but he’s a damn good player and that’s a beautiful Midtown. Nice to see someone who knows what they’re doing playing one.

I’ve had tuning issues with it. I’ve got them sort of sorted out, but it’s not perfect. I love the sound (when in tune) and the neck.

Your friend can play. Not my style of music but he’s a damn good player and that’s a beautiful Midtown. Nice to see someone who knows what they’re doing playing one.

Sorry to hear you're having tuning problems. Mine stays in tune. That being said, mine came with G-force tuners which I immediately swapped out for Grovers and I use Curt Mangan strings and it is excellent with them.

Sorry to hear you're having tuning problems. Mine stays in tune. That being said, mine came with G-force tuners which I immediately swapped out for Grovers and I use Curt Mangan strings and it is excellent with them.

Like I said I've most got it sorted except the G. I saw in reviews a lot of people were having similar issues on Midtowns. I think it's the nut. Mine came with regular tuners. I have a 2015 Junior that came with the G Force but I took that off almost as soon as I got it. Not a fan.

Like I said I've most got it sorted except the G. I saw in reviews a lot of people were having similar issues on Midtowns. I think it's the nut. Mine came with regular tuners. I have a 2015 Junior that came with the G Force but I took that off almost as soon as I got it. Not a fan.

Maybe the strings I use will solve your problem! I use the Curt Mangan 11-52's the G is a wound string. I've always preferred a wound G.

27bK2tv.jpg

Archived