Gibson Brands Forums

2018 Explorer

dc3c46

Hi guys!

Gibson is coming out with an Explorer in antique natural finish.

I like it a lot.

Now that I do not really need it, having a bunch of great guitars

and I am not a metal guy, but I remember Clapton doing a great job with one once

and of course the tune "Freebird" comes on my mind.

However I got the bloody gas now.

Does anyone of you play an Explorer and what can you tell me about it?

Cheers,

C.J.

Does anyone of you play an Explorer and what can you tell me about it?

Cheers,

C.J.

Man, despite the hard rock/heavy metal look, it goes well with everything, from blues to heavy rock! [thumbup]

Mine has a pair of 496R/500T, really hot pickups.

The 2018 model comes with Burstbuckers. IMO, more versatile pickups.

Can't tell anything about granadillo fingerboard but the Antique Natural finish is just killer!!! [wub]

I bought the limited run natural explorer from AMS last year and it is an awesome guitar. The only thing i dont like about it; no pickup covers, but thats just for looks. I have always had the explorer on my bucket list mainly due to Allen Collins of Lynyrd Skynyrd who is mainly the reason I started playing guitar, but Clapton, and even Bonamassa did play or play them and I dig them as well so thus the purchase. I mainly play blues rock, southern, rock, and plain ole blues and I think it does all of those very well. Mine has the 496R and 500T pickups as well and yes they are hot but playing with the volume and tone knobs a bit you can take some of that down a bit. Like others have said, with the 2018 having BB pickups there may be more versatility. Not sure what the neck profile is on the 2018 but mine is thick. Feels more like a Les Paul with Firebird access. The body will take some time to get used to. Not from a playability standpoint but from an awareness standpoint. It's so much bigger than anything else and with the offset shape, your gonna bump it against things you thought you were no where close to, haha!! Not sure about the fingerboard material but I would get one if you are on the fence b/c they are awesome guitars. I love mine and in fact have the 2018 on my list of "later this year" purchases. Might even put a bigsby on it for the vain aesthetics!!

I have a 2006 76 Reissue given to me for Christmas. Mrs knew I always wanted an Explorer but I always seemed to need something else more.

It is one of the best built, best painted, best playing, best sounding guitars I've ever owned. It is by far the best put together Gibson I've ever owned.

rct

i had an early 90's explorer. it was a great guitar. was a bit heavier than i prefer. if i ever find a weight relieved one, i'll be on it like stink on sh...well, you know.

well balanced, plays great, and is the only guitar i ever had those pick ups in and actually liked them. my only complaint isn't really a valid one. the case is flippin huge. easily, you could use it for an emergency raft to save a group of drowning people. but what could they have done differently? i have no clue. that's why i say it's not a valid complaint. if you have the chance, and the price is good, buy one. you'll be glad you did. btw, the finish you are talking about is the coolest one of them all, imo

What the hell is Torrified Grenadillo? Sound like cigar that tastes like a turd.

Well, torrefaction is a heat treatment process that removes moisture from the wood. And Grenadillo is a tree from Central America and the Caribbean.... where cigars come from. So you're not too far off.

I was just looking at these 2018 Explorers & this angle seems to show the guitar body isn't as thick as it predecessors [confused] Am I wrong or did they change it?

Don't scare me like that! My heart almost skipped a beat at the thought of a lefty Explorer. I've been wanting one for YEARS :'(

I remember seeing images of Left handed Explorers and Flying Vs that were going to be in the 2017 range, but they just up and canned them. I'm certainly not disappointed I had to go with a SG Standard, but I'd be playing a different guitar today had they actually made lefty Explorers last year.

Don't scare me like that! My heart almost skipped a beat at the thought of a lefty Explorer. I've been wanting one for YEARS :'(

I remember seeing images of Left handed Explorers and Flying Vs that were going to be in the 2017 range, but they just up and canned them. I'm certainly not disappointed I had to go with a SG Standard, but I'd be playing a different guitar today had they actually made lefty Explorers last year.

I was so focused on the thickness of the slab I didn't even realize the obvious [wink]

Archived