Gibson Brands Forums

Adivce on true.fake Hummingbird

groseiille

Hello everyone,

I would like to get your advice on this nice Gibson Hummingbird I would like to purchase.

This is a second hand guitar from 2005, I asked for some more pictures to determine if this is a scam or not (I can buy it for a rather fair price).

Since I am not an expert at all and this would be my first Gibson acoustic (I am mostly a Martin player), I would love to have your opinion on it.

I asked for some more pictures of the headstock, back and serial number.

Here are the few pictures I have at the moment, I will update it as soon as I receive the new ones.

Best regards,

L.

post-87160-024102700 1504600952_thumb.jpg

post-87160-003946800 1504600958_thumb.jpg

Looks real enough to me!

What makes you think it could be fake? Or is it just general nervousness? Make sure you follow some procedure, like meeting at a busy place, even a ..gulp, cop shop...to exchange cash. If it is online, make sure you can get a return policy and refund if you are unhappy. Could even be better to buy from a well known dealer for your first Gibson buy.....

BluesKing777.

Pickguard looks off to me. Could well be a replacement but it's definitely not a genuine 'guard. I would insist on pics of the back of the headstock and serial number.

In my experience, if a deal seems too good to be true, it's because it is...tread carefully.

Jinder would know - I can see irregularities with the pick guard as well: It doesn't look 'original'. Placement is off as well. Get the S/N and verify at a minimum that the first digit is a 9, the second digit is between 0 and 3 and the forth digit is a 5. And, that there are 6 digits, and the # is printed on that orange label as well as stamped into the back of the headstock. As far as 'too good to be true', without knowing the asking price, you should be looking at one around $2K for a legit H'bird in 'great' 1995 condition with the original case with the gold Gibson logo on the outside cover. If it's a lot less, and the seller seems 'strange', you might want to look elsewhere. G'Luck.

Thanks a lot for your replies !

Actually, more than just general nervousness, I became paranoid about fake Gibson acoustics since I saw a lot of them online (some local craiglist for example) from people who thought it was real ones.

Considering the break angle at the saddle, I didn't notice but it might be lower than what I see on official pictures (maybe that is the angle of the camera, but I don't think so).

I had the guy on the phone, he seemed quiet nice and honest and even provided me with the bill from the shop he bought it.

Nevertheless, he sent me bad quality pictures from his Ipad so I am waiting some good quality ones to post it here. I noticed from it that the inside label is a little bit unsticked, why might cause this ? (air, humidity)

What makes you think that the pickguard is not genuine please ? It is used but I can't see how to spot a genuine from a non-genuine one.

Again, thanks for your quick replies guys, I appreciate it :)

The mottling effect in the base colour of the pickguard looks too light and the edges don't look neatly bevelled like the standard Gibson guards were before they changed the design in 2006...this could be a light effect though.

I don't buy the whole "low res photos from my iPad" thing, I have a first gen iPad and it takes lovely crisp photos that I often use in eBay listings etc.

My take on it is that it's a genuine guitar (the grain in the rosewood bridge is typical of the wood that Gibson was using from '04 to around 2010, I owned two Hummingbirds, a J45 and a Dove from that period which all had almost identical broad markings) that has clearly been played a LOT (see soundhole wear and rounded off right hand headstock point), and has had the pickguard replaced as a result of heavy wear.

Chances are it will need some fret work and a proper setup...the saddle does look a little low as noted, but that could possibly be due to it being set up for extremely low action or it needing some relief dialling out of the neck and a taller saddle installing. Either that or it's close to needing a neck reset, but there looks to be some mileage left in it before major surgery is needed.

I wouldn't take my word for it in terms of its validity until you've seen the back of the headstock and verified the serial number etc.

The other giveaway on the replacement 'guard is the mismatched wear-look at where the pick wear is on the soundhole rim relative to the pick wear on the pickguard...unless the player's hand does an immediate right turn when the pick hits the soundhole rim, the two definitely didnt start life together.

Yes on the replacement pickguard. Don't normally see that much tortoise effect in the plastic, for once, it's a very thin guard, and to the left of the upper point, the contour is off.

Don't see how you can judge break angle from that head-on shot, though. However, the guitar looks legit.

Yes on the replacement pickguard. Don't normally see that much tortoise effect in the plastic, for once, it's a very thin guard, and to the left of the upper point, the contour is off.

Don't see how you can judge break angle from that head-on shot, though. However, the guitar looks legit.

Right - wonder what's behind the exchange of the p-guard.

A rare blank one, which would have made it a Southern Jumbo, thus more affordable - or a rolled off original flubber.

Speculations, , , but the guitar is a Gibson and may sound amazing.

I couldn’t judge break angle

And assumed nor could anyone else , hence the note to check it out

It may well be fine but it’s the one major thing , or rather , one of the major things to be wary of

2005 model on the left:

WpRSfx4.png

I've seen variations in the engraving of the flora & fauna, but never in the shape of the pickguard itself (below 2005 HB to the right):

yAmemrz.png

My point precisely...I'm sure it's an Epi or Pac Rim replacement guard. Eminor7 nailed the specifics as expected for a confirmed Laird of the aviary!

Hello all,

I had a long talk with the seller. He is a pro musician, which explains the state of the guitar. The pick has been changed with a new one bought on ebay. Considering the overall condition of the guitar, I won't take it. I prefer my instruments to be in mint condition (especially if I don't buy a vintage guitar.

Otherwise, I found a new one, brand new, which I might buy. I will let you know with some pictures :)

Good point is that I am sure the other guitar is 100% genuine (and brand new for 60% of the original price).

I couldn't expect better answers here, thanks a lot for your help !

Archived