Gibson Brands Forums

Sterling by Music Man St. Vincent signature series Guitar

RevDavidLee

Review shows it's pretty versatile, but does it have it's own sound? What is the signature sound for it? You can make it sound like a strat sort of, or a tele sort of, and it can do some muted jazz tones (although no better than any other guitar clean with the tone rolled off). I also didn't hear any price mentioned anywhere.

It is unique looking, but there is no accounting for taste. Overall it just didn't do it for me. [unsure]

Review shows it's pretty versatile, but does it have it's own sound? What is the signature sound for it? You can make it sound like a strat sort of, or a tele sort of, and it can do some muted jazz tones (although no better than any other guitar clean with the tone rolled off). I also didn't hear any price mentioned anywhere.

It is unique looking, but there is no accounting for taste. Overall it just didn't do it for me. [unsure]

Price $599 for the imported model B)

ZZ Top might like it. I am not a fan. Kind of like a chopped Explorer.

I though of Billy too.

An Explorer that fits in a normal guitar case!!

Not sure if they do a top-line Music Man version (best wood, parts, made in USA etc...) a'la the Stingray Bass, but if they did its got enough different and enough going for it that it could be a winner (?)

Saw this online & have been staring at it for a few days now. I like it!...

Yes! I like it too!

msp_thumbup.gif

There was a short thread about the MM version back when it was released. I really liked its looks then and I still do now.

The Sterling version is only available in Lake Placid Blue erm, St. Vincent Blue, but it's a fine colour so that's cool.

The USA model costs $1899...

angry.gif

The MM version in Heritage Red with Gold hardware is absolutely stunning IMO but in the UK would set the prospective buyer back an eye-watering $3055. I've just checked.

The Sterling version is available here but at $873 it's not quite the same bargain as it is Stateside. Still; a very handsome, unique-looking guitar.

Looking forward to the NGD thread, Rev!

Pip.

A friend of mine has a ernie ball guitar, not this one mind you and he swears they are every bit as good as his Gibson and his PRS Mccarty. That said, i was tempted to try the prs because of its cool look, this looks like somethin a new wave band would have like the cars or devo, kinda nerdy and that is actually cool in an eclectic kind of way.

I like it. Someone posted it here quite a while back, but I don't think the cheaper one was available yet.

If the cheaper one is made in mexico its probably still very good quality, mim fenders have always been terrific and i dont get why so many here snub their nose at a non usa guitar? Yeah, gibson usa is great, but my made in japan Orville custom was terrific.

I played a Sterling in Israel for a jam in June, different model. It's what the venue rented for our after business conference jam. It was a terrible experience. Didn't get or stay in tune and the pickups were absolute rubbish.

That may have been a unique experience but it was enough for me.

I played a Sterling in Israel for a jam in June, different model. It's what the venue rented for our after business conference jam. It was a terrible experience. Didn't get or stay in tune and the pickups were absolute rubbish.

That may have been a unique experience but it was enough for me.

Well I didn't want to hear that but I'm glad you shared that info. This will stop me from buying this guitar online. I will need to have a hands on before I would purchase this. I know you're an experienced player so I'm listening Tman. Thanks for the heads up!

If the cheaper one is made in mexico its probably still very good quality, mim fenders have always been terrific and i dont get why so many here snub their nose at a non usa guitar? Yeah, gibson usa is great, but my made in japan Orville custom was terrific.

I'm assuming you are speaking in generalities and not referring to me directly. There was certainly no snubbing in the post of mine you quoted. Most of my guitars are cheap and made elsewhere. :rolleyes:

I have played three of these.

Here is my opinion...

The thing is VERY light weight.

The guitar is versatile sound wise.

I got some good cleans and some raunchy dirties BUT...jack of all trades master of none?

I played it through a '57 hand wired Fender, so keep in mind, I had them with a great amp.

For the money I'd rather have an SG and a good MIM Tele and get the perfect sound from each.

The excellent thing is it really is well made. I was looking it over and over and it didn't feel cheap or look cheap.

This is important to me because I can understand a $500 needing some exchanges and tweeks but at near 2k...you better be awesome from the git (set-up aside).

The neck is not too thick like a new SG but it isn't as thin as my '74 SG's.

Very comfortable to play in terms of shape and WEIGHT!!!

I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars. If it was a grand, I'd grab one.

Well I didn't want to hear that but I'm glad you shared that info. This will stop me from buying this guitar online. I will need to have a hands on before I would purchase this. I know you're an experienced player so I'm listening Tman. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm typically a If you can't say something nice don't say it at all kinda guy but I think it is a good idea to try it first. My experience might have been a fluke. $600 is still a lot of cash to take the risk I think.

I'm typically a If you can't say something nice don't say it at all kinda guy but I think it is a good idea to try it first. My experience might have been a fluke. $600 is still a lot of cash to take the risk I think.

I've decided instead to go ahead and purchase the 2018 Gibson Explorer in the other thread on here. I know it will deliver the punch & crunch I love so much :)

No worries [thumbup]

Archived