Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone received the Epi Johnny A yet?

TxStrat

Fed Ex dropped mine off about 2 hours ago. Initial reaction is WOW!

Really a beautiful guitar. Epiphone really hit a grand slam with this one. I got the call from Sweetwater yesterday that mine was in and it was overnighted. Packed really well. Case is top of the line plush. Case candy includes Johnny A hand signed authenticity certificate, Epiphone poster and sticker, truss rod tool and case keys. I will give it some serious play time later today and gets some pics. Guitar came in tune and set up really well. I'll update later tonight.

Beautiful guitar all around. The 57 classics are great and guitar is well balanced. The bigsby is a little stiff but can be fixed. Guitar came pretty well setup from Sweetwater. They were great to deal with as always. Along with case candy was COA signed by Johnny A. Grab one if you can.

fwXByDd.jpg

3IIZiGU.jpg

xAoW4G5.jpg

xWAN9Aw.jpg

waffoIk.jpg

FmuHmDg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, the more I think about it. It may continue to run up the neck and get ugly. I paid almost $1k for this guitar and it should be right, I emailed Sweetwater today about exchanging it.

Too bad because I really liked this one.

I have one from Sweetwater , on order. Expect 2 or 3 weeks from "now" :) I will ask the sales engineer , there , if it is possible to look it over , very closely, for that flaw , and any others . Actually. Epiphone , this and these "small things" , may be why , some, may not be satisfied with an Epiphone instrument , maybe :( . Me , well, if it was stable , I'd most likely keep it. Hey , thats Epiphone. But you are 100 % correct to send it back for a replacement imho :( :( you are right , that is a lot to have something less than absolute perfection. Epiphone , and you , deserve the best that is possible. That , is imho , not "best" :Other than that , any other issues ? at all ? Thank you for posting that photograph , beautiful thing shame :(

I hate to seem picky but I buy a lot from Sweetwater for both myself and my son. They have always been good about returns and I usually end up buying another guitar right after retuning one. I definitely want another Johnny A. so I’m returning this one and will wait for the next shipment. Hopefully it will have a top just as nice as this one or even better. I will kick myself in the b*lls if I get a guitar that has more issues or ugly top. Lol

Probably not the best choice of words,sorry. I said this because I’ve been unlucky with Epiphone before, I returned a Slash Rosso Corsa before and ended buying the original back. The tops on the whole batch seemed to be bad. The right side showed the flame maple ( veneer ) beautifully but the left side grain seemed to be buried underneath. This was on all 3 guitars I bought and returned. If you look at the Epiphone website that shows that Slash guitar you’ll see the same pattern. It’s crazy

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Ltd-Ed-Slash-Rosso-Corsa-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

I have second thoughts on that "flaw". Each and every guitar is a 1 of a kind thing. The binding is done by hand. If the binding is solidly attached to the neck, and is stable, I would keep it. If the thing does not cause any playability problems , I would keep it. That thing is a woodworking piece of art , I hope if you did send it back, you obtain another that is just as nice as that one. :)

I’m hoping for the same. I hate that I had to return it but a crack is a crack and binding is glued on. I just didn’t want it to continue separating or the crack to get worse. The top is another thing all together I agree. I still think it’s important. That’s why I like Sweetwater, it lets you look at the guitars front to back. I always look to see if the top is nice and the back multiple pieces aren’t so obvious. It sucks when the back has 3 shades of wood. Then again I’m a Painter by trade so I notice things like finishes more I guess.

Got my replacement today and I’m not happy with Sweetwater

There’s no way this thing was given their “55 point inspection”, the neck pickup is so high it’s hitting the strings. Also one of the pickup screws is about to fall out, and never screwed back down.

As predicted, the top on this guitar looks plain compared to the last one. I wished they would have sent a pic before shipping this one out. I sent an email out asking to be notified when another batch comes in. This sucks

post-77662-038995300 1507905688_thumb.jpeg

Sweetwater email. Do you believe this can happen during shipping? Lol

Hi Pete,

I am sorry that the guitar arrived this way. This likely happened during the shipment and just needs pushed in. These screws are not meant to secure the pick ups tightly to the body of the guitar. They float the pick up on springs and are meant to adjust them up and down. The guitar went through the inspection process.

Thanks,

Jim Soracco

Sweetwater Guitar Support

Archived