Gibson Brands Forums

I'm Worried!

Digger

I'm worried about all the people in the path of Hurricane Irma!

This looks like a bad one and please may I ask that anyone here that is in it's path to get out of the way, just don't risk staying.

Life is too precious!

My concern is for everybody, but especially those that are members here....we need you all.

I'm not religious so I can't pray for you but all who are in danger will be constantly in my thoughts.

Just watching the news here in the UK. They're showing Barbuda and it's 90% gone. I can't see how it can recover. Perhaps it's time some of the ridiculously rich over there dug deep and spread their wealth they've got from the poor.

Guest Farnsbarns

It's terrible. The satalite footage is mind blowing. I would not want to be under that. There will clearly be substantial loss of life.

Shame there's always someone taking a cheap political shot. Let's hope it isn't taken to the point of another well meaning thread being closed down.

My daughter and her family live in Melbourne, Florida.

They are moving inland, and hunkering-down with close friends who live on a bit of high ground.

(Well. As high as you can get in Florida, which is pretty flat, all in all.)

They have supplies, generators, gasoline, and lots of groceries and beer.

:mellow:

We have family on both coasts, mid state east coast and more north on the west coast areas. We're keeping in touch.

They are all planning to ride it out. The evacuations have made traffic north impassable.

There's only 2 major interstates north bound.

I talked with my cousin in Georgia last night and I told her we don't have a lot of room at our house but we'll make room if they want to make the trip up to Kentucky. Her husband wants to ride it out but she's ready to get out of there.

I hope that everyone is alright down south. Our thoughts and prayers and support go to y'all.

... The evacuations have made traffic north impassable.

There's only 2 major interstates north bound.

Yeah, I95 and I75 were at a standstill earlier. It's still a few days away though. Be better to drive at night probably.

Yeah, I95 and I75 were at a standstill earlier. It's still a few days away though. Be better to drive at night probably.

At least it looks like it's going more to the east so y'all will be on the "dry" side. I wonder if this will be like 2005 when we had 3 Cat4-5 hurricanes (Katrina, Rita, Wilma) landfall? (interestingly enough there was a Harvey that year too!)

Stay safe!

At least it looks like it's going more to the east so y'all will be on the "dry" side.

I'm on the east coast - but it just took a slight jog to the west. Current track is coming right up the center of the state(ish). This is actually good for us in that it will slow the winds down. Looks bad for south FL. Still a lot of time for wobbling though. We have supplies and a place in the center of the state where we can shelter if it comes up the east coast, so either way we should be good(ish).

Good luck and best wishes to everyone in Florida. Like what we just went through here with Harvey, it looks like the federal, state and local authorities have been on top of things as best they can and will hopefully keep the loss of life to a minimum.

Thanks for your concern. I'll ride it out, like I've done quite a few others. I think I'm safer here than on the road with the crazy, irritated, impatient drivers.

My house is on the Eastern Sand Ridge, 32' above sea level (a mountain around here) so while I may get a leak, I won't be flooded.

The house was built in 1950, before the developers bribed the government to water down the building codes.

I have storm panels and drop down storm awnings. The storm panels are up, the awnings go down the last minutes.

I have a very good roof that is extremely storm resistant.

I've stored supplies, gas, water, and food, got them early (experience told me this would hit before the news people started hyping it), checked the generator, charged batteries, checked emergency radio, checked emergency lights, policed the yard for anything that might become airborne, and checked with my close neighbors to see if they needed any help.

I'm bummed that I had two good gigs this weekend, both have been cancelled :( (True Floridian attitude).

I hope everybody in Florida and Georgia makes it through OK.

There is no guarantee we'll make it through safely, but the odds are overwhelmingly in my favor. I'm experienced, I know how to prepare, I had this in mind when I chose the house I bought, and I'm confident, but not over-confident. I have some plans if things get rougher than expected.

I'll probably lose power, and be one of the last to get it back, since I'm in a sparsely populated area, and I'm hoping that's the biggest bummer of the storm. And then there is the clean up - aaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhh.

Notes

I've stored supplies, gas, water, and food, got them early... checked the generator, charged batteries, checked emergency radio, checked emergency lights, policed the yard for anything that might become airborne, and checked with my close neighbors to see if they needed any help.

I'm bummed that I had two good gigs this weekend, both have been cancelled :( (True Floridian attitude)...

There is no guarantee we'll make it through safely, but the odds are overwhelmingly in my favor. I'm experienced, I know how to prepare... I'll probably lose power, and be one of the last to get it back... And then there is the clean up - aaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhh.

Well said! This is Florida life in a nutshell... including the cancelled gigs. [biggrin] We were scheduled to play last year on the night hurricane Matthew arrived. It's just what we do.

We will probably lose power on Monday. We are only 10 ft above sea level but there's a barrier island between us and the storm surge. Last year we used the generator to power the fridge, some fans, and the Internet router so we could watch movies. After dark we read books and drank. It wasn't so bad. Hoping this one is as mild.

I'll just repeat what's already been said. Like Digger, I'm not religious so I'll just say my thoughts are with Surf, Notes any anyone else in the path. I have several other friends who live down there and am worried for them also. Best of luck to everyone through this storm.

I moved to central Florida about 1 -1/2 years ago and love it other than the daily afternoon rain and damn hurricanes.

We have been tracking the hurricane, and now the latest is we are dead in the center of its path.

Been working our *** off the last 4 days getting ready for the big hit Sunday night.

Store shelfs are getting emptied fast as they fill them up.

Not looking forward to this one

I would urge you guys in Florida to evacuate. You may have experience, and you may have ridden out storms before, but not like this one. There has never been one as big or strong as this. Right now the predicted track is right up the middle of the state so both coasts will be hit with storm surge plus the rain and extreme high winds.

As they told people in Texas - if you are not leaving, please write your social security number on your arm. [scared]

1504903611[/url]' post='1880239']

I would advise you guys in Florida to evacuate. You may have experience, and you may have ridden out storms before, but not like this one. There has never been one as big or strong as this. Right now the predicted track is right up the middle of the state so both coasts will be hit with storm surge plus the rain and extreme high winds.

As they told people in Texas - if you are not leaving, please write your social security number on your arm. [scared]

Sounds like good advise.

I am " lucky" in the sense that I am up on a hill , actually the highest house in the area, so I am not too worried about flood waters coming in the house.

But what I am concerned about are the high winds.

I look down from my front door to the closest home about 300 yards away, so the front area of my house is exposed to the wind.

I have a big magnolia tree in my front yard that I could possible lose to the wind.

Have all the windows boarded up ( which took days ) , trees staked down, lawn furniture brought inside, and basically making sure every thing is brought inside.

We have already been notified by the power company that we will lose power , which is a given , but I have a 10,000 watt generator so other than an inconvenience , I think we are good power wise.

Dundee, the small city I am in, once power goes out we lose water also due to the pumps.

So stocked up on water, drinks food and most importantly plenty of beer.

This should be on hell of a ride.

I am " lucky" in the sense that I am up on a hill , actually the highest house in the area, so I am not too worried about flood waters coming in the house.

But what I am concerned about are the high winds.

I look down from my front door to the closest home about 300 yards away, so the front area of my house is exposed to the wind.

I have a big magnolia tree in my front yard that I could possible lose to the wind.

Have all the windows boarded up ( which took days ) , trees staked down, lawn furniture brought inside, and basically making sure every thing is brought inside.

We have already been notified by the power company that we will lose power , which is a given , but I have a 10,000 watt generator so other than an inconvenience , I think we are good power wise.

Dundee, the small city I am in, once power goes out we lose water also due to the pumps.

So stocked up on water, drinks food and most importantly plenty of beer.

This should be on hell of a ride.

Prayers are with you brc , just hold on to your favorite guitar

4H

Archived