Gibson Brands Forums: Active les Paul - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Active les Paul Any clues ?

#1 User is offline   Gibs6stringer 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 05-September 17
  • LocationLong Island , NY , Suffolk county

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:41 PM

Hey does anyone know what year Gibson made the les Paul that had active pick ups and coil splitting switches on it ? It took a battery with a screws in cover on the back if I recall . I used to own one but sold it years ago . It was a basket case when I opened up the case . The lady wanted $800 for it but settled for $400 . It was black but finish turned milky white . On the way home I bought some compound and took everything off and had it looking like a black pearl in two hours when it was done , then I sold it for $1200 ! It was too complicated for me anyway . But it had a lot of tonal possibilities . I like simple , switch volumes and tones .
0

#2 User is offline   FZ Fan 

  • Jumbo Go Away
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 6836
  • Joined: 15-October 13
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:11 AM

View PostGibs6stringer, on 08 September 2017 - 05:41 PM, said:

Hey does anyone know what year Gibson made the les Paul that had active pick ups and coil splitting switches on it ? It took a battery with a screws in cover on the back if I recall . I used to own one but sold it years ago . It was a basket case when I opened up the case . The lady wanted $800 for it but settled for $400 . It was black but finish turned milky white . On the way home I bought some compound and took everything off and had it looking like a black pearl in two hours when it was done , then I sold it for $1200 ! It was too complicated for me anyway . But it had a lot of tonal possibilities . I like simple , switch volumes and tones .


I think the 2014 LP Traditional Pro II had a battery pack on the back.
0

#3 User is offline   Twang Gang 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1240
  • Joined: 26-November 12
  • LocationLake Keowee, SC

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:09 AM

There was a lefty black beauty on Reverb recently with active EMG pickups - it was a 2002 model.
2017 Custom Shop 356 Mahogany/Maple Antique Natural
2017 Les Paul Standard T Honeyburst
2013 L5-CES Natural (Maple/Spruce)
2013 Les Paul Custom Lite (Mahogany/Maple) Ebony
2007 Taylor Solid Body Custom (Sapele/Walnut)
2010 Fender Telecaster (Ash)
2006 Taylor Grand Symphony (Rosewood/Spruce)
1981 Ovation Balladeer
1963 Walthari Mittenwald Classical
Rivera Venus 6 (1 X 12)Combo
Blackstar HT-5R (1 X 10) Combo
AER Compact 60-2
0

#4 User is offline   FZ Fan 

  • Jumbo Go Away
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 6836
  • Joined: 15-October 13
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:28 PM

View PostTwang Gang, on 10 September 2017 - 08:09 AM, said:

There was a lefty black beauty on Reverb recently with active EMG pickups - it was a 2002 model.


I think he may be looking models that came stock with them.
0

#5 User is offline   Farnsbarns 

  • Antelope
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8036
  • Joined: 01-December 10
  • LocationGodstone, Surrey, England

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:49 AM

There have been a few models with a boost which took a battery but they didn't actually have active pups. Could that be what you're thinking of?
I'm not drunk, you're blurry.

Farns
0

#6 User is offline   Johnny 6 String 

  • Just one of the boys...
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 519
  • Joined: 01-September 11
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

View PostGibs6stringer, on 08 September 2017 - 05:41 PM, said:

Hey does anyone know what year Gibson made the les Paul that had active pick ups and coil splitting switches on it ? It took a battery with a screws in cover on the back if I recall . I used to own one but sold it years ago . It was a basket case when I opened up the case . The lady wanted $800 for it but settled for $400 . It was black but finish turned milky white . On the way home I bought some compound and took everything off and had it looking like a black pearl in two hours when it was done , then I sold it for $1200 ! It was too complicated for me anyway . But it had a lot of tonal possibilities . I like simple , switch volumes and tones .




Any idea what time frame? Gibson made the Artist from ~79-81. Had mini switches a battery.

Looked like this:

https://i.pinimg.com...0e0c3583b73.jpg

That's all I got as I don't pay much attention to guitars with EMGs regardless of brand.


Johnny
0

#7 User is offline   Megafrog 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 880
  • Joined: 17-November 16
  • LocationSouthern Pennsylvania

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:33 PM

OP, are you going to respond or just leave us all guessing on this?
Equipment:
I have guitars, amps, pedals, cables, various other things and a strong affinity for short signature lines. . .
0

#8 User is offline   Gibs6stringer 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 05-September 17
  • LocationLong Island , NY , Suffolk county

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:13 AM

View PostFarnsbarns, on 12 September 2017 - 07:49 AM, said:

There have been a few models with a boost which took a battery but they didn't actually have active pups. Could that be what you're thinking of?



I'm sure it had active electronics factory installed , besides the extra battery cover it had another very large cover touching it . Never opened it . The covers are quite different from any other Paul I've seen .Talked to guys at Sam Ash music store about it . Very rare . Only one year . It was an Gibson experiment that I guess didn't pan out . . Just trying to find out which year . Bought it about ten years ago used . Thanks
0

#9 User is offline   Gibs6stringer 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 05-September 17
  • LocationLong Island , NY , Suffolk county

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:15 AM

View PostMegafrog, on 12 September 2017 - 07:33 PM, said:

OP, are you going to respond or just leave us all guessing on this?

Sorry busy week ! Bought it used about ten years ago .
0

#10 User is offline   Gibs6stringer 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 05-September 17
  • LocationLong Island , NY , Suffolk county

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:27 AM

View PostJohnny 6 String, on 12 September 2017 - 03:45 PM, said:

Any idea what time frame? Gibson made the Artist from ~79-81. Had mini switches a battery.

Looked like this:

https://i.pinimg.com...0e0c3583b73.jpg

That's all I got as I don't pay much attention to guitars with EMGs regardless of brand.


Johnny



Thanks you got it ! Except in black . Nice in the burst ! Beauty. 79 -81 ok . Sounds about right to me , Probably should have kept it. Hey I tripled my money on it And bought my green studio which I love .
Put a Duncan in it . It had a pinched bridge p/up wire that broke ( top plate to body ). Music store replaced it with a Duncan . A little hotter not sure of the model but it sounds better than ever !
Appreciate the help never was quite sure of the year
Jack
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users