Gibson Brands Forums

Active les Paul

Gibs6stringer

Hey does anyone know what year Gibson made the les Paul that had active pick ups and coil splitting switches on it ? It took a battery with a screws in cover on the back if I recall . I used to own one but sold it years ago . It was a basket case when I opened up the case . The lady wanted $800 for it but settled for $400 . It was black but finish turned milky white . On the way home I bought some compound and took everything off and had it looking like a black pearl in two hours when it was done , then I sold it for $1200 ! It was too complicated for me anyway . But it had a lot of tonal possibilities . I like simple , switch volumes and tones .

Guest Farnsbarns

There have been a few models with a boost which took a battery but they didn't actually have active pups. Could that be what you're thinking of?

Hey does anyone know what year Gibson made the les Paul that had active pick ups and coil splitting switches on it ? It took a battery with a screws in cover on the back if I recall . I used to own one but sold it years ago . It was a basket case when I opened up the case . The lady wanted $800 for it but settled for $400 . It was black but finish turned milky white . On the way home I bought some compound and took everything off and had it looking like a black pearl in two hours when it was done , then I sold it for $1200 ! It was too complicated for me anyway . But it had a lot of tonal possibilities . I like simple , switch volumes and tones .

Any idea what time frame? Gibson made the Artist from ~79-81. Had mini switches a battery.

Looked like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2f/9d/78/2f9d78cf6c9e5693cd4dd0e0c3583b73.jpg

That's all I got as I don't pay much attention to guitars with EMGs regardless of brand.

Johnny

There have been a few models with a boost which took a battery but they didn't actually have active pups. Could that be what you're thinking of?

I'm sure it had active electronics factory installed , besides the extra battery cover it had another very large cover touching it . Never opened it . The covers are quite different from any other Paul I've seen .Talked to guys at Sam Ash music store about it . Very rare . Only one year . It was an Gibson experiment that I guess didn't pan out . . Just trying to find out which year . Bought it about ten years ago used . Thanks

Any idea what time frame? Gibson made the Artist from ~79-81. Had mini switches a battery.

Looked like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2f/9d/78/2f9d78cf6c9e5693cd4dd0e0c3583b73.jpg

That's all I got as I don't pay much attention to guitars with EMGs regardless of brand.

Johnny

Thanks you got it ! Except in black . Nice in the burst ! Beauty. 79 -81 ok . Sounds about right to me , Probably should have kept it. Hey I tripled my money on it And bought my green studio which I love .

Put a Duncan in it . It had a pinched bridge p/up wire that broke ( top plate to body ). Music store replaced it with a Duncan . A little hotter not sure of the model but it sounds better than ever !

Appreciate the help never was quite sure of the year

Jack

Archived