Gibson Brands Forums

New Slash Firebird

Rabs

I've got to agree with Rabs here. Many criticize Slash, but let me hear you play something like the solo from Don't Damn Me, Garden of Eden or something off the first Snakepit album - perhaps Jizz Da Pit or Be the Ball. To my ears Slash always had a recognisable style that stood out from loads of the other players at the time. I grew up being a huge GN'R fan in the early 90's and since then I've heard and love many other players who are technically better i.e John McLaughlin, Joe Satriani and lots that aren't as well known but still great, but when I hear Slash at his peak I still think wow!, that guy had something special in his playing. Estranged or Coma are about as good as it gets and one of his most emotive, excellent solos he ever laid down was on Back & Forth again.

I was 17 when Appetite for Destruction came out. Do you remember the 'rock' world in 1987...Prince, Madonna, U2, Michael Jackson, Phil Collins...yup. Metallica were up and comers, Maiden and AC/DC were getting patchy, next to no-one had heard of Pixies, Dino Jr, Husker Du and the alt rock guys, even Motorhead was getting a bit smooth...

Then came this...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y421OngqQUw

Sorry we weren't old enough to have been there for Zeppelin and the Who, but for a little while there full on rock played by full on rebels was ours. And it was good.

I apologize to everyone whom I have offended.

Truth be told, it wasn't just GNR that went by me when I was otherwise engaged with trivial pursuits of a sexual nature, back in the day.

I served in the Army in the first Gulf War in the middle of all that, and we didn't exactly have iPods and flat screen televisions back then.

I also completely missed, and never have once seen, watch, witnessed, or enjoyed even one episode, CD, album, or cinema reel of:

* The Cosby Show. The thing where Bill and his family wore ugly sweaters (or so I have heard), and acted like Hollywood automatons.

Never once saw it.

* Bobby Brown. Some useless, drug-addicted dork who was apparently married to Whitney Houston.

Never heard a note.

* White Lion. New Kids On The Block. Wilson Phillips. Don't ask.

* National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

The Little Mermaid

Back To The Future II

Honey I Shrunk The Kids

* The Wonder Years.

Roseanne.

The Golden Girls.

Who's The Boss?

Murphy Brown.

China Beach.

Never watched one episode.

Again, I apologize to everyone who holds Slash in high regard.

He seems like a really nice fellow, and he is clearly the very reason that Epiphone still sells Les Paul copies.

He's a stand-up guy.

But he went right by me.

His skills are legendary, and his top hat is the very best and most iconic top-hat ever.

But I missed him.

And I can't endeavor to get him back.

Especially if Axyl Rose is singing over his guitar work.

That guy strikes me as a major ******-bag.

[crying]

Sparky, mate, I can never comprehend why in these threads you A.) think people get 'offended' when you have a difference of opinion - its a chat room, you are completely entitled an opinion, why would people be offended? B.) feel the need to justify your position with deep personal history, and/or get contrite. None of my business but I hope you are OK with yourself...you seem a decent guy.

anyhoo...on to the main point:

The first few seasons of Rosanne (IMO) were really pretty cool!

apart from that, you missed nothing. [laugh]

Sparky, mate, I can never comprehend why in these threads you A.) think people get 'offended' when you have a difference of opinion - its a chat room, you are completely entitled an opinion, why would people be offended? B.) feel the need to justify your position with deep personal history, and/or get contrite. None of my business but I hope you are OK with yourself...you seem a decent guy.

anyhoo...on to the main point:

The first few seasons of Rosanne (IMO) were really pretty cool!

apart from that, you missed nothing. [laugh]

No no... The Wonder Years was one of my favourite shows ever...

And I did enjoy the Cosby show at the time.. but well then... hmmm.. i'll shut up :unsure:

So, now that the Pandora's Box has been opened,

I haven't seen but two movies in the past three years.

I don't watch television, and haven't done so in nearly seven years.

I haven't seen even one episode of Game Of Thrones, and have never seen (nor do I want to see) one episode of The Walking Dead.

Life is precious.

Love, life, relationships, music, sex, art, creation, original compositions, they demand so much of our time and attention.

Who has time for such complete and utter nonsense as TV and the mainstream entertainment pablum?

With all due respect to Slash, a man who is admittedly a lovely gent, who has such time on their hands?

:unsure:

No offense taken Sparky! I missed a lot of those films/ shows you listed too, but did enjoy the Wonder Years.

I am a big film fan though and do enjoy some TV series, however, when I was a student we never had TV for 4 years and I found I didn't miss it that much and it made me focus more on studying. I think there's good and bad in everything, so you can't dismiss TV/ film entirely.

Slash = Iconic guitarist. Love his distinguished sound.

New $8k Slash Firebird = Sit in case all day (I'd be too afraid to even ever so slightly scratch it!); definitely wouldn't be a player guitar unless I somehow got rich like Slash (who probably gets one for free - rightfully so).

I always think of Slash with top hat, ripped jeans at the knee caps with unbuttoned flannel shirt and sleeves ripped off, holding a sweet LP Custom. Honestly, he's probably helped sell quite a few LP's over the years, so why not try the Firebird...

Slash is a great guitar player, AFD is a timeless masterpiece.

Looking at this guitars though, my only bitterness comes from the fact that Gibson does have true reflector knobs laying around as opposed to the spun aluminum ones that they've been putting on guitars for the last 8 years or so. <_<

• 1 year later...

Okay, an update;

I took some good advice (from Rabs and others) over the past year and a half, and I gave a slow but steady listen to Guns And Roses.

I listened to a lot of Slash, in interviews, and onstage, with and without Axl Rose.

I have come to two conclusions, after this long and careful analysis.

a. Slash is a really wonderful fellow, and an admirably-good guitar player.

and

b. I probably never gave him (and his guitar playing) much of a chance because he is inexorably-linked to the voice and onstage antics of Axl Rose.

Given a choice between listening to Axl Rose singing,

and

the sound of fingernails dragging down a long chalkboard, with a sadistic dentist drilling into somebody's hapless, bloody teeth for hours on end,

I

would choose the chalkboard and the drilling.

I hate that it came to this sad conclusion, but there it is.

May God have mercy on my soul, with all due apologies to Slash and his legions of devoted fans.

:(

As it goes I agree..

I liked GnR because of Slash and Izzy.. Izzy really was one of the main writers and they were never the same without him. The rest of them im not bothered about..

And its as you say... Ive never said I thought Slash was the most technical or even emotional player ever.. But what he does, he does REALLY well and to stay doing it for this many years and still be in demand is quite a feat in itself. As it goes his solo work can often be much more complex than it sounds. He certainly has his own style and sound that I can recognise.

Slash without Axl really is better as far as im concerned..

LOVE this album.

Also don't forget he did some tunes with Lenny

Archived