Gibson Brands Forums

New Slash Firebird

Rabs

Arrrg.. Whyd they have to age them? Hes only been using it a year or so, do his Firebirds look that rough already?

Anyway...

"Everybody loves the Firebirds," says Slash about his two new signature Gibson Custom models, the prototypes of which he used on tour for the last year. They are a radical departure from the Les Pauls he is known for, yet Slash wanted many Les Paul elements included on this model including humbuckers, historic Les Paul wiring and pickup spacing, and a solid figured maple cap. Per Slash's request, the Custom Shop hand-aged these with vintage-accurate checking and wear to the thin nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Each features Slash's custom specs throughout as well as exclusive hot-stamped Slash pickguard artwork. With only 25 of each being made, these Slash Firebirds are instantly some of the most collectible artist models Gibson Custom has ever created.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Slash-Firebird.aspx

Ua13saJ.jpg

lInaAcU.jpg

Only $7700, too.

Somebody pinch me, I must be dreaming!

At that price, I would venture to guess that their intent is for potential buyers to submit to a physical act far more invasive than mere pinching. [biggrin]

One for Slash fanatics/devotees.....[unsure]

IMO Firebirds are best with mini-hums and transparent sunbursts to reveal the exciting laminated thru' carpentry.....

Occasional solid white a la Johnny Winter.....Stephen Stills....

This ageing lark seems to mean something to some people

Each to their own.....said a wise man.....:blink:

Every trick in the book to offer a high-profit limited edition to make some money....

V

:-({|=

One for Slash fanatics/devotees.....[unsure]

IMO Firebirds are best with mini-hums and transparent sunbursts to reveal the exciting laminated thru' carpentry.....

Occasional solid white a la Johnny Winter.....Stephen Stills....

This ageing lark seems to mean something to some people

Each to their own.....said a wise man.....:blink:

Every trick in the book to offer a high-profit limited edition to make some money....

V

:-({|=

I agree.

This is absolutely nuts.

My Firebird V is just fine with me and it was under $ 2000.

What's with these signature models? I don't get it.

...Whyd they have to age them?...
This is absolutely nuts...What's with these signature models? I don't get it.

More so than is usual with Gibson's Limited Edition output I'd say these are, pretty much, 100% aimed at collectors.

That would tie-in with the modest 25-off intended run.

No-one who wants to buy a Firebird as a 'player' instrument will buy one of these. Why on Earth would they?

Real Firebirds are already offered so no-one who wants to buy a real 'Bird has any cause to complain about these Case Queens.

I'm perfectly fine with the concept of Gibson releasing instruments purely as a profit-earning scheme. Good luck to them.

P.

I love and respect you, Rabs.

You are a true craftsman and artist.

But Slash?

And a multi-thousand dollar, distressed, aged signature Firebird??

The combination puts me right to sleep.

:mellow:

Has nothing to do with me.. I was just sharing the info.. :)

As it goes I really like Slash.. He was one of the reasons I wanted to play..

I know they are meant for collectors... and I have no issue with that. But I do find it odd that they aged the guitars.. Usually thats done on replicas of famous models and I get that.. But Slash's original versions of these are still new.. Just makes no sense to me to age them in this case ? (unless Slash asked for it specifically I guess?)

I'm not sure.

The modern guitar market is a mystery to me.

And I must confess, GNR and Slash went right by me years ago when they were really big.

I was, admittedly, into a series of ill-advised affairs with questionable women at the time.

The tail mattered more to me than the music of the day, and that is probably a tragedy, though it would have been lost to me at the time.

I can name exactly two GNR songs;

Sweet Child O Mine

and

November Rain.

Oh, and something about a jungle.

My apologies for muddying the waters here, Rabs.

I really do love and admire you.

Slash?

Not so much.

:unsure:

Oh, and something about a jungle.

I really do love and admire you.

Slash?

Not so much.

:unsure:

If you can spare 45 minutes you should really listen to this album now (playlist posted below)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh_Gv1wCPDM&list=PL59B8F7B34F19DD7A

It would take a lot more than this to muddy my waters... :)

Everyone is free to think what they like..

Its partly an age thing I think too.. My teen years was the 80s so it was what was right in front of me at the time (including AC/DC and Metallica).. I think that the fact that he has managed to earn a living doing what he does for so long is achievement enough that any other guitar player or musician should respect.. Its a tough game.

Plus I saw them at their height in 1991 at Wembley Stadium with Soundgarden and Faith no More in support.. I wont ever forget that day.

Its partly an age thing I think too..

Yes and no. I'm 54 years old. So Appetite broke when I was quite a bit older than you and I still paid attention to it. Part of being a musician is being a listener, and that one demanded attention! Just sayin'.

Yes and no. I'm 54 years old. So Appetite broke when I was quite a bit older than you and I still paid attention to it. Part of being a musician is being a listener, and that one demanded attention! Just sayin'.

I did say partly :)

Honestly never picked up a Firebird so have no idea what they are like, and never heard much Guns N Roses or Slash either so this guitar would mean nothing to me.

But I never understood the "aged/reliced" idea. If I buy a new guitar I want it to look new and I'll relic it myself as I eventually bash into cymbals and stuff. Even if you are just a collector of unique guitars the fact that Slash has only been playing a Firebird occasionally for a year on a recent tour, this expensive reproduction probably is not very accurate to the way his looks.

As mentioned to each their own. There is no accounting for taste. Or as someone else mentioned to me recently "you can't fix stupid". :rolleyes:

It's not a matter of 'like' or 'dislike'.

Nor is it a matter of 'hate' and 'love'.

I just honestly missed the entire GNR experience.

I was in the military, and I was living in Germany for most of those days.

And, when they were still apparently relevant during the time I was in the States, I was otherwise engaged.

I was balls-deep into a great number of similarly-rudderless young women.

I do recall that there was MTV on, and they actually played music videos back then.

Since then, and more recently;

I have watched more than a few youTube interviews with Slash.

He seems like a lovely gentleman.

His guitar skills are more than admirable.

But I missed it.

And can't even attempt to endeavor to get it back.

:(

Archived