Gibson Guitar Board: Gibson Nickel cover Classic 57 neck replacement help - Gibson Guitar Board

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibson Nickel cover Classic 57 neck replacement help

#1 User is offline   Antonio C 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 43
  • Joined: 03-March 17
  • LocationItaly

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:08 AM

Hello!
I've a 2016 Les Paul Traditional, I Need to replace the factory neck pickup cover, humbucker Classic 57, could you tell me the right replacement spare part to buy?
Thanks.
Antonio Cappelli
0

#2 User is offline   Pesh 

  • Goes up to 11
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2410
  • Joined: 03-December 13
  • LocationBarcelona, Spain

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:37 PM

View PostAntonio C, on 10 September 2017 - 05:08 AM, said:

Hello!
I've a 2016 Les Paul Traditional, I Need to replace the factory neck pickup cover, humbucker Classic 57, could you tell me the right replacement spare part to buy?
Thanks.
Antonio Cappelli


Hi Antonio!

You need Gibson part PRPC-030, which is the Nickel neck hum bucker cover plate. You can get one from Thomann in Europe HERE
Pesh, also known by some as Tom; an English bloke living in Spain, who likes sending all kinds of well-intentioned sonic shrapnel careening through the air. (Twitter = @TM_Fisher).

Things with Strings...
2002 Fender Squier Affinity Stratocaster - "Janus".

2013 Gibson USA Limited Les Paul Traditional Pro II - "Negroni".
2014 Gibson USA 120th Anniversary Les Paul Studio - "Jupiter".
2015 Epiphone Limited EJ-200 Artist - "Nightmaiden".
2016 Stagg M20 Mandolin - "Octavia".

Things I've Built...
First build; cross between a '57 Goldtop & the Lou Pallo Signature Les Paul; thread here [in progress and sadly on hold]

Things without strings...
Marshall MG15DFX.
Orange OR15.
Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal.
0

#3 User is offline   Antonio C 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 43
  • Joined: 03-March 17
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:49 PM

View PostPesh, on 12 September 2017 - 03:37 PM, said:

Hi Antonio!

You need Gibson part PRPC-030, which is the Nickel neck hum bucker cover plate. You can get one from Thomann in Europe HERE


Thanks, do you know if the humbucker is waxed or not ?
0

#4 User is offline   Pesh 

  • Goes up to 11
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2410
  • Joined: 03-December 13
  • LocationBarcelona, Spain

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:05 PM

View PostAntonio C, on 12 September 2017 - 10:49 PM, said:

Thanks, do you know if the humbucker is waxed or not ?


Hi Antonio, sorry for the delay.
Yes the '57s are wax-potted. For this reason; be gentle when removing the original cover so as not to disturb any wax that might be between the coil bobbins and the cover; you'll have a more snug fit for the new cover, which is good. That being said - I've always found Gibson waxing to be very clean, so you might not see any evidence of wax on the coil at all. Even so, the pickup cover will fit nicely on the pickup.

I fitted an aftermarket part to an open zebra coil '57, and it was such a good fit I've never had to solder it in place; it holds on its' own - you may have similar luck.

If you have doubts about any part of the process - do not risk it - hire a profession luthier or pickup maker.
Pesh, also known by some as Tom; an English bloke living in Spain, who likes sending all kinds of well-intentioned sonic shrapnel careening through the air. (Twitter = @TM_Fisher).

Things with Strings...
2002 Fender Squier Affinity Stratocaster - "Janus".

2013 Gibson USA Limited Les Paul Traditional Pro II - "Negroni".
2014 Gibson USA 120th Anniversary Les Paul Studio - "Jupiter".
2015 Epiphone Limited EJ-200 Artist - "Nightmaiden".
2016 Stagg M20 Mandolin - "Octavia".

Things I've Built...
First build; cross between a '57 Goldtop & the Lou Pallo Signature Les Paul; thread here [in progress and sadly on hold]

Things without strings...
Marshall MG15DFX.
Orange OR15.
Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal.
1

#5 User is offline   Antonio C 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 43
  • Joined: 03-March 17
  • LocationItaly

Posted Yesterday, 04:55 AM

View PostPesh, on 18 September 2017 - 01:05 PM, said:

Hi Antonio, sorry for the delay.
Yes the '57s are wax-potted. For this reason; be gentle when removing the original cover so as not to disturb any wax that might be between the coil bobbins and the cover; you'll have a more snug fit for the new cover, which is good. That being said - I've always found Gibson waxing to be very clean, so you might not see any evidence of wax on the coil at all. Even so, the pickup cover will fit nicely on the pickup.

I fitted an aftermarket part to an open zebra coil '57, and it was such a good fit I've never had to solder it in place; it holds on its' own - you may have similar luck.

If you have doubts about any part of the process - do not risk it - hire a profession luthier or pickup maker.


Thanks Pesh
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users