Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Nickel cover Classic 57 neck replacement help

Antonio C

Hello!

I've a 2016 Les Paul Traditional, I Need to replace the factory neck pickup cover, humbucker Classic 57, could you tell me the right replacement spare part to buy?

Thanks.

Antonio Cappelli

Hi Antonio!

You need Gibson part PRPC-030, which is the Nickel neck hum bucker cover plate. You can get one from Thomann in Europe HERE

Thanks, do you know if the humbucker is waxed or not ?

Hi Antonio, sorry for the delay.

Yes the '57s are wax-potted. For this reason; be gentle when removing the original cover so as not to disturb any wax that might be between the coil bobbins and the cover; you'll have a more snug fit for the new cover, which is good. That being said - I've always found Gibson waxing to be very clean, so you might not see any evidence of wax on the coil at all. Even so, the pickup cover will fit nicely on the pickup.

I fitted an aftermarket part to an open zebra coil '57, and it was such a good fit I've never had to solder it in place; it holds on its' own - you may have similar luck.

If you have doubts about any part of the process - do not risk it - hire a profession luthier or pickup maker.

Hi Antonio, sorry for the delay.

Yes the '57s are wax-potted. For this reason; be gentle when removing the original cover so as not to disturb any wax that might be between the coil bobbins and the cover; you'll have a more snug fit for the new cover, which is good. That being said - I've always found Gibson waxing to be very clean, so you might not see any evidence of wax on the coil at all. Even so, the pickup cover will fit nicely on the pickup.

I fitted an aftermarket part to an open zebra coil '57, and it was such a good fit I've never had to solder it in place; it holds on its' own - you may have similar luck.

If you have doubts about any part of the process - do not risk it - hire a profession luthier or pickup maker.

Thanks Pesh

Archived