Gibson Brands Forums

2018 Gibson prices

Tim35

You said It was a waste of timeand money .

I actually asked Don how and why they came up with this series... His response was that after doing some research about the consumer they were able to find out that many people wanted a guitar with the features you see on the HP series.

JC - In this case, I forgot to put IMHO, which I generally try to remember to do. What I've expressed is truly just my opinion. I hope I'm wrong, but I think Gibson has missed the mark in their execution of the HP series.

Remember a while back when Martin came out with a Taylorish pickguard on their then-new Performing Artist series? All gone now, and back to the teardrop pickguard. When it comes to Gibsons & Martins, I think most buyers are interested in the historical connection that visual cues bring to the instrument.

Imho, this simply appears to be another facelift attempt to capture some of the Taylor pie. Along with the new pickguard, some of the HP bridges have a slight "smiley-face" upturn to them.

Doing market research is a good thing. How you interpret the information is another matter altogether. I sincerely hope the market research didn't just say that people want Taylors with Richlite!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried the HP guitars, I like the necks but the tone didn't really suit my playing style. I want rumbling, throaty, chiming Gibson-ness, which my squares and super jumbos give me all day long. The HPs weren't unpleasant and are certainly very good instruments, but not a flavour that set my palate tingling. Maybe one day I'll pick one up that speaks to me.

You know what IS a stupid waste of time? Those "Progressive" J45s with the Tune-O-Tragic bridge. 😳

JC - In this case, I forgot to put IMHO, which I generally try to remember to do. What I've expressed is truly just my opinion. I hope I'm wrong, but I think Gibson has missed the mark in their execution of the HP series.

Remember a while back when Martin came out with a Taylorish pickguard on their then-new Performing Artist series? All gone now, and back to the teardrop pickguard. When it comes to Gibsons & Martins, I think most buyers are interested in the historical connection that visual cues bring to the instrument.

Imho, this simply appears to be another facelift attempt to capture some of the Taylor pie. Along with the new pickguard, some of the HP bridges have a slight "smiley-face" upturn to them.

Doing market research is a good thing. How you interpret the information is another matter altogether. I sincerely hope the market research didn't just say that people want Taylors with Richlite!

Maybe theydmissed the mark for you, me, and many of us here, but we are only a tiny representation of the market, and dare I say, a VERY small representation of the market! Given that companies like Taylor absolutely crush Gibson as far as sales and exposure, it kind of makes sense for Gibson to try and branch out and get a piece of that pie. Just because there are many of us here that seem to prefer the tried and true styles, vintage appointments and are resistant to change (myself included) doesn't mean that's how everyone else thinks, or it's what everyone else wants.

I tried the HP guitars, I like the necks but the tone didn't really suit my playing style. I want rumbling, throaty, chiming Gibson-ness, which my squares and super jumbos give me all day long. The HPs weren't unpleasant and are certainly very good instruments, but not a flavour that set my palate tingling. Maybe one day I'll pick one up that speaks to me.

You know what IS a stupid waste of time? Those "Progressive" J45s with the Tune-O-Tragic bridge. 😳

Makes sense you wouldn't like the HP, since it seems like they are trying to work their way into that WWJP/Taylor crowd, and as we all know Taylors are voiced nothing like Gibsons. Even if I prefer the traditional Gibson sound, neither is better or worse, just different.

Maybe theydmissed the mark for you, me, and many of us here, but we are only a tiny representation of the market, and dare I say, a VERY small representation of the market! Given that companies like Taylor absolutely crush Gibson as far as sales and exposure, it kind of makes sense for Gibson to try and branch out and get a piece of that pie. Just because there are many of us here that seem to prefer the tried and true styles, vintage appointments and are resistant to change (myself included) doesn't mean that's how everyone else thinks, or it's what everyone else wants.

I'm not sure I agree 100%. Yes, Taylor crushes Gibson Acoustic in terms of sales volumes, but I think its the other way around in terms of desirability. It seems to me, I see 10 Gibson's for every Taylor whenever I look at upper end performers. Young kids auditioning for "America's Got Talent" may have an $800 Taylor in a gig bag - because they think that's cool - but you see Gibson's on Austin City Limits, Nashville, etc. Of course, as you noted, we here are not representative of the emerging market Bozeman has to deal with.

Just noticed on L&M's site up here in Canada a new listing for 2018 J-45's. Can. $2849 for the Std. and left-handed versions but no delivery for 60 days. The 2016's that are the current stock are $2899. Seems odd.

It's just Yorkville's way of telling you they have a warehouse full of old product to sell before they order the new stuff. If they have 2016's in stock and are selling them what happened to the 2017's? The pricing does seem odd. I think I'd wait for the 2018's and save the $50.00. But then I still find it odd that 2017's are not in stock. It seems like a silly exercise in marketing but.....

Actually yorkville has backed off on alot of guitars. Anything pretaining to high end is special order. Montana specials very seldom in stock ..Most of the guitars they carry they class as b stock whether demos or guitars that had flaws which theres been alot. Thwy carry alot of common stock. But there prices dont change much from last years to this years models. And with the dollar being weak does not help.

And with the dollar being weak does not help.

Well my point was that if you convert your Canadian dollars to Gibson guitars, they will be worth more in US dollars than the current exchange rate. Buy guitars, fight inflation! :)

Ive always looked at the u.s list as a base for a retail price in canada. Sometimes we get luckier when the dollars at par. Thats at l&m though i wont say about other dealers. They have a commision base and seem to seperate case from guitar to make more

I've had a chance to look at the prices ... These prices are insane in my opinion.They still have som resonable prices 2,000 and 3000 guitars but look at the SJ 200 Vintage it's $5700 ... That's too much money !!!

I wanted another Maple jumbo but it looks like I'll have to look for something NOS.

JC

Ive been complaining about the prices for sometime.. with good reason.. and they wont be going down.. the market is getting smaller here and the prices are rising on limited quanities..

Ive been complaining about the prices for sometime.. with good reason.. and they wont be going down.. the market is getting smaller here and the prices are rising on limited quanities..

I never complained about pricing until now .

I doubt the quality can get any better than what they have been putting out and a $300 price increase on the J 200 T compared to 2017 isn't really a good deal. For me the "upper end" gibsons were always well priced until now 5.7 k is too much green on Henry J's part .

I still love the brand and the product.But I will be looking into whatever NOS models I can find or some of the reasonably priced models.

JC

I never complained about pricing until now .

I doubt the quality can get any better than what they have been putting out and a $300 price increase on the J 200 T compared to 2017 isn't really a good deal. For me the "upper end" gibsons were always well priced until now 5.7 k is too much green on Henry J's part .

I still love the brand and the product.But I will be looking into whatever NOS models I can find or some of the reasonably priced models.

JC

I'll second that emotion..... [thumbup]

Fred

I've been through this thread 2x and came away confused.

Scores of anecdotes comparing prices on: different models, different exchange rates, spans of 4 years, prices Paid in 2015 compared to List prices in 2017, etc.

It can be Very Confusing if you compare apples and oranges.

I had the opportunity in my prior life to be responsible for maintaining 'list' prices for large organizations. Occasionally I had to deal with 'the press' defending price increases. And trying to explain them.

So - i thought it might help to cut through the confusion and look at prices TODAY at one of the largest US retailers for Gibson.

I looked at Guitar Center online and found that, for the J45 and SJ200 - 2017 prices are actually lower:

J45 2016 is $2399 while the 2017 is $2149 which is $250 or 10.4% LOWER.

SJ200 2016 is $4349 while the 2017 is $3899 which is $450 or 10.3% LOWER.

We can look at possible 2018 prices, and less common models. We can question whether prices on the new HP product line, should be considered price increases or just 'adjustments'. And, of course, any here have stated some models, like the J15 were underpriced in the past.

So - to me, the only question is - if you are considering buying a New Gibson Acoustic: "What is the prices today you would have to pay for the model you want in the country you live, and do you think that price is reasonable?

Prices someone else paid or some retailer charged a week ago, a month ago or a year ago are irrelevant. As Dilbert use to tell his Pointy Hair Boss - "That was then, This is Now."

Scores of anecdotes comparing prices on: different models, different exchange rates, spans of 4 years, prices Paid in 2015 compared to List prices in 2017, etc.

I had the opportunity in my prior life to be responsible for maintaining 'list' prices for large organizations. Occasionally I had to deal with 'the press' defending price increases. And trying to explain them.

So - i thought it might help to cut through the confusion and look at prices TODAY at one of the largest US retailers for Gibson.

I looked at Guitar Center online and found that, for the J45 and SJ200 - 2017 prices are actually lower:

We can look at possible 2018 prices, and less common models. We can question whether prices on the new HP product line, should be considered price increases or just 'adjustments'. And, of course, any here have stated some models, like the J15 were underpriced in the past.

So - to me, the only question is - if you are considering buying a New Gibson Acoustic: "What is the prices today you would have to pay for the model you want in the country you live, and do you think that price is reasonable?

Prices someone else paid or some retailer charged a week ago, a month ago or a year ago are irrelevant. As Dilbert use to tell his Pointy Hair Boss - "That was then, This is Now."

Nice to hear a different 'take' on this. Seems to me that prices, depending on where you are,and where you buy, and who you are,can vary at any given time. Not exactly a new concept, in my experience. Then and now is a big factor, as well.

(I don't know if this is reality or wishful thinking on their part but the shop is sort of like GC kind of thing)

Ha, and the winner is:

http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/prod/RS4TPVSNH1/Gibson-J-45-(True-Vintage)-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-(Vintage-Sunburst).aspx

http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/prod/SSHBVNGH1/Gibson-Hummingbird-Vintage-Cherry-Sunburst-Acoustic-Guitar.aspx

And yes, the company went broke err....twice...

BluesKing777.

The 2017s at Guitar Center are only lower than the 2016s because GC & Gibson have been running a promotion to blow out the 2017s & make room for incoming 2018 models (both acoustics and electrics). The GC-MF warehouse already has many of the new 2018 models in stock.

Until this promotion began, the 2017 models were the same price as their 2016 counterparts.

I've had a chance to look at the prices ... These prices are insane in my opinion.They still have som resonable prices 2,000 and 3000 guitars but look at the SJ 200 Vintage it's $5700 ... That's too much money !!!

I wanted another Maple jumbo but it looks like I'll have to look for something NOS.

JC

I have had the same 2 Martins for 20 years, HD28 and D12-28. I had become bored with them, changing strings weekly for inspiration. Last year was a good year for my business and having turned 51 decided to not get a sports car and go on a guitar buying binge. After buying new; Western Classic Mystic, 1938 SJ-200, Southern Jumbo, J-45 Custom and of course, a D-42, I am now looking at the 2018 SJ-200 Vintage. The price of the Vintage is in about the same price bracket as the 1938 SJ-200 and Western Classic Mystic, but it seems the models under this price has gone up. I am not surprised, all guitar prices are always going up. So I figure now is the time to stock up on guitars. Who knows what will even be available in the future. BTW, I don't expect to pay $5700 for the Vintage.

Just noticed on L&M's site up here in Canada a new listing for 2018 J-45's. Can. $2849 for the Std. and left-handed versions but no delivery for 60 days. The 2016's that are the current stock are $2899. Seems odd.

Update girls and boys. Seems L&M put a wrong price on their website as reported the other day because they have changed the J-45 Std. to Can. $3099. This makes more sense.

One upside to Gibson dating the truss rod covers on the new guitars is that NOS guits are becoming increasingly bargainiferous compared to new instruments. Still on the rich side but much cheaper than new stock in the UK at least. Over here, dealers are hidebound to take a certain amount of stock, an arbitrary selection of guitars at Gibson's choosing, and obviously top end stuff doesn't shift too quickly. When I bought my 2015 SJ200 a year ago, the dealer had a stockroom full of Gibsons, and FIVE SJ200s in stock, two 2015s and three 2016s. This was in late September and he was about to take delivery of new 2017 models, leaving him with two guitars that were nearly two years out of date.

Obviously an exquisitely choice deal was easy to negotiate, and it worked for me as the 2015s were Fishman equipped and the '16s had the Baggs Anthem system which I don't much care for.

It's pretty inarguable that it makes for a poor business model to sell new guitars, but the savagely discounted NOS is a handy side effect for us lot.

One upside to Gibson dating the truss rod covers on the new guitars is that NOS guits are becoming increasingly bargainiferous compared to new instruments. Still on the rich side but much cheaper than new stock in the UK at least. Over here, dealers are hidebound to take a certain amount of stock, an arbitrary selection of guitars at Gibson's choosing, and obviously top end stuff doesn't shift too quickly. When I bought my 2015 SJ200 a year ago, the dealer had a stockroom full of Gibsons, and FIVE SJ200s in stock, two 2015s and three 2016s. This was in late September and he was about to take delivery of new 2017 models, leaving him with two guitars that were nearly two years out of date.

Obviously an exquisitely choice deal was easy to negotiate, and it worked for me as the 2015s were Fishman equipped and the '16s had the Baggs Anthem system which I don't much care for.

It's pretty inarguable that it makes for a poor business model to sell new guitars, but the savagely discounted NOS is a handy side effect for us lot.

Very true !!!

The funny thing is a 2017 J 200 might not be too different from a 2015 J 200 except for what you have mentioned (the electronics package).

For me being a lefty NOS guitars will have to do I just can't keep up with these price increases .

I can no longer continue to be picky about what I want

JC

Archived