Gibson Brands Forums

2018 Gibson prices

Tim35

Very true !!!

The funny thing is a 2017 J 200 might not be too different from a 2015 J 200 except for what you have mentioned (the electronics package).

For me being a lefty NOS guitars will have to do I just can't keep up with these price increases .

I can no longer continue to be picky about what I want

JC

You're right JC! I played all five SJ200s the dealer had in stock when I bought mine, and the two 2015s felt very similar. Mine had the edge tone wise and a better neck angle than all the others, so that one came home with me. I couldn't discern any differences construction wise between the '15s and '16s, just the electronics.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just checked thomann.de for euro prices. I use them as sort of a benchmark for european pricing. A Hummingbird Vintage 2017 model is EUR 2900, while the new Hummingbird Standard 2018 is EUR 3300.

That is INSANE money for the new guitars.

Lars

Actually 2018 hummingbird is priced at $3849 on gibson website ... Seems to be the standard, just a "vintage cherry burst".

That's pricey for red pigments.

At the time i bought mine, woods were described (AAA top) and rosewood and hog origins too... spec havnt changed.... and it was way cheaper.

Looks like a +10% each year or so.

For comparison, i was at a national Luthier festival in FR last week and most guitars were ranged from 2k-4k (appart from the most famous luthier, about 7k+), all these instruments signed and handcraft by these luthiers.

A beautiful back & sides rio sold for 3.6k, cheaper than the 2018 hummingbird.

So yes, out of control...

Gibson also raised the price of the j200 I was looking at by $500 in the middle of me talking to GC about buying it. That wound up being a deal breaker for me.

That’s shocking!! So GC didn’t honour the original price? I would have torn them a new one for wasting my time...to be honest, GC should take the hit on things like that to curry favour with customers, absolutely disgusted that they didn’t. Did you buy the Hummingbird in the end?

That’s shocking!! So GC didn’t honour the original price? I would have torn them a new one for wasting my time...to be honest, GC should take the hit on things like that to curry favour with customers, absolutely disgusted that they didn’t. Did you buy the Hummingbird in the end?

No, the 200 tone was amazing, couldn't go back to the hummingbird after that. I may go in and complain, I've bought three guitars there, I'll take my business elsewhere

Archived