Gibson Guitar Board: Where is the NICEST place you have played? - Gibson Guitar Board

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where is the NICEST place you have played?

#21 User is offline   Jinder 

• Every one a Gibsonite!
  • Group: Members
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:56 PM

ThemisSal, on 12 September 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

I BOW. There are a few of you who are pros. You must have great memories/experiences/pictures. I would love to see them. The place above is no doubt the nicest gig I'll get. You should see the bars I normally play at.

There are so many places I want to see shows at once life slows down. Royal Albert Hall is one.

Thanks Sal! It was an incredible experience and a wonderful room. The only downside is that the dressing rooms are RIGHT next to the boiler room and I played there in November, so the dressers were unbelievably hot!

I'm no stranger to the bar circuit at all-it's my bread and butter to this day, tomorrow night I'll be playing to about 25 drinkers/drunks in a bar in my old hometown. I love playing in bars, whatever else is happening I always come back to the bar circuit, it's real and keeps any player honest...great place to try out new material and bend old material around to see when it breaks too!
#######
2015 SJ200 Standard
2011 Dove
1990 Hummingbird
1967 J45
2014 SJ100 1941 Reissue
2014 Epiphone IB '64 Texan
2001 Epiphone EL-00 (early L1 shape model)
2003 Takamine EAN20C
1978 Hohner Leyanda 12 String
1998 Fender Classic Series '60s RI Telecaster

#######
www.jinder.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jindermusic

#22 User is offline   BluesKing777 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:38 PM

View PostJinder, on 13 September 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

Thanks Sal! It was an incredible experience and a wonderful room. The only downside is that the dressing rooms are RIGHT next to the boiler room and I played there in November, so the dressers were unbelievably hot!

I'm no stranger to the bar circuit at all-it's my bread and butter to this day, tomorrow night I'll be playing to about 25 drinkers/drunks in a bar in my old hometown. I love playing in bars, whatever else is happening I always come back to the bar circuit, it's real and keeps any player honest...great place to try out new material and bend old material around to see when it breaks too!

Can you still smoke in your bars in the UK, Jinder?

They firstly banned smoking indoors here and the bar crowd went south and recently the die hards that go outside the bar for a smoke got told they can't, so the bars are pretty empty...you know, only one watching the gig is your uncle asleep leaning on the bar....

BluesKing777.

#23 User is offline   Jinder 

• Every one a Gibsonite!
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

BluesKing777, on 13 September 2017 - 06:38 PM, said:

Can you still smoke in your bars in the UK, Jinder?

They firstly banned smoking indoors here and the bar crowd went south and recently the die hards that go outside the bar for a smoke got told they can't, so the bars are pretty empty...you know, only one watching the gig is your uncle asleep leaning on the bar....

BluesKing777.

We've had a smoking ban for ten years this year, BK...I remember playing a show in a proper spit and sawdust venue in Northampton on the day the ban came in, the weird carousel of smokers coming in and out constantly really threw me off guard!

It's massively impacted turnouts for bar shows in general, but things stabilised a few years back and with the advent of vaping, more people are either coming to bars and vaping or quitting and coming out for a few drinks like they used to, just minus the cigs. We have outdoor smoking areas at pretty much every pub and bar too, it's shocking that those have been banned in the US!
#######
2015 SJ200 Standard
2011 Dove
1990 Hummingbird
1967 J45
2014 SJ100 1941 Reissue
2014 Epiphone IB '64 Texan
2001 Epiphone EL-00 (early L1 shape model)
2003 Takamine EAN20C
1978 Hohner Leyanda 12 String
1998 Fender Classic Series '60s RI Telecaster

#######
www.jinder.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jindermusic

#24 User is offline   E-minor7 

• Winger

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:41 AM

Think the nicest placed I played was on a amphie-theater-like scene placed in the middle of a forest close to a system of middle-sized lakes.
An afternoon summer gig. The weather was fine and we were scheduled before B.B. King so the place was full - not too big, not small at all either.
Only problem was that exactly these circumstances attracted an audience which was, , , actually too nice.
They were so neat and placed in that surrounding it all just got over-nice.
Now over-nice isn't ideal for rock'n'roll - it puts a veil on top and there's a chance you quickly end up more or less devilish, , , which I of course kind of did.

No, nice places are for theater, family-shows and old people, who want a retro-breeze from their rock youth.
The real venue to seek is a half raw room/stage that works as a passage to another zone. Naturally a certain atmosphere or history is welcome.
A neutral club, hall or outdoor ramp that sets the attenders free and therefore liberates the band also - vice versa.

Place - Arrangers - Audience - Musicians must be free to create the magical cabinet together.
It's like the 4 legs under a table on which the bowl of fruit is served.

And btw. outdoor concerts must take place during or after sundown. Broad daylight steals sound and focus, , , and pours too much thermos-coffee.
You just can't keep coincidences down. .
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users