Gibson Guitar Board: Care and feeding of your new Epiphone - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Care and feeding of your new Epiphone

#1 User is offline   Sunfist 

• Group: Members

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

I was wondering what you would suggest for cleaning and polishing the guitar and the various areas of such. I tried a Furniture polish and that was a HUGE mistake. So to avoid doing that again I want to get some advise from people who know what they are talking about. I am thinking of a division along the lines of, body, fretboard, and strings/metal parts bridge ect. Do you ever polish your frets or is that something best left to a professional? Maybe the whole job is something best left to a pro, I don't really know myself. The more I look at it the more complicated it appears.

#2 User is offline   milod 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCenter of the USA

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:21 PM

There are some variations on the theme, depending on what Epi you have. For example, a Epi SG will have some sorts of stuff to clean not found on a flattop AE box.

But the bottom line is that 90 percent of it can be a soft, just lightly damp cloth. Yup, damp with water - but only lightly damp.

A lot of variations exist for the fingerboard, but basically the same damp cloth applies. Just try not to get the strings damp if possible.

Fingerboards also will need occasional oiling - verrry light application, and there are some specialty products for that as well as a very, very, very light ap of vegetable oil.

I recommend the specialty product, but... consider this: I have several guitars that are 40-60 years old and I've never, ever oiled the fingerboard, nor done "cleaning" of wood surfaces beyond the suggestion above unless at a saloon gig some other substance such as may have dripped from a quick burger, coke or beer between sets. Ditto the frets. Never messed with "cleaning" them. If they're so worn that they need to be replaced, they'll still look shiny if you're really playing the thing.

As for the strings, just wipe them clean occasionally unless you have so much crud on your fingers that they are really yucky. If that yucky that you can see the yuck, replace 'em.

Metal parts, bridge, pickups, various electric controls on an electric or AE -- again, 99.5 percent the best idea given normal use of the instrument is that very lightly damp soft cotton cloth. Heck, a rag from a worn-out t-shirt works fine.

If you barf on the thing, it's another matter, but most pickers I know, even those whose drinking habits are far beyond mine, try not to play when they've had enough to potentially barf. Dropping food or drink on the thing is more likely, and again, the damp cloth still is the best option.

As for little spaces in various parts, a lightly damp Q-tip should help - but if they're getting grody on a nice new guitar, I'd suggest the player reconsider how he or she messes with the instrument that gets it that way.

Good luck.

m

#3 User is offline   Cougar 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationThe Wild West

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:02 AM

View PostSunfist, on 10 September 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

I was wondering what you would suggest for cleaning and polishing the guitar and the various areas of such.

Gibson pump polish for the guitar body, and especially rub down the neck after each use (polish not needed every time). I use lemon oil on my rosewood fretboards. (I've got to check with the pros here about what to use on my ebony boards.) Shiny guitars play better. Posted Image
2008 Epiphone Masterbilt spruce/rosewood EF-500RAVS

2011 Guild F50R burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 burst 

1939 Epiphone Masterbilt Zenith

2014 Epiphone FT-79 IB-64 Texan cherryburst

2012 Epiphone Lennon EJ-160E VS

2011 Epiphone Performer ME TBK

2013 Epiphone EL-00 Pro VS

1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string sunburst

2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

Yamaha Motif XS7

#4 User is offline   Bob Isaac 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationUxbridge, UK

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:22 AM

I use Zymol

Bob
2009 Roy Orbison Epiphone 12-String FT-112
2014 Masterbilt AJ-500RCE VN
2015 EJ-200SCE VS
2016 Masterbilt AJ-45ME VSS
2016 Masterbilt EF-500RCCE VN
2016 Masterbilt DR-500MCE VS
2016 Masterbilt Century DeLuxe Classic VN
2012 Washburn WJ130EK
2014 Faith Hi Gloss Neptune FNHG
2017 Faith Blood Moon Neptune FNCEBMB

#5 User is offline   Retired 

• The Ham bone is connected to the ........
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

It's basically already covered above. I don't wipe mine down every time either. When I do clean them I use Dunlop 65 guitar polish & cleaner for the body and back of the neck, Dunlop 65 string cleaner & conditioner and it has a pad on the end so just slide it down the strings and wipe off with a dry cloth. Then for the fretboard I use pure Almond oil sparingly and wipe down clean with a dry cloth. I also use a fiber soft dry cloth which is gentle for the body and neck. The strings are the biggest thing to wipe down every time after playing as your fingers contain oils and things you touch that contaminate them. Like Milod says, wipe them with a cloth after use.
Herman

#6 User is offline   Pinch 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:08 PM

I oil the fretboard once a year (before winter) with Dunlop lemon oil. I've only used Gorgomyte once, but I'll be deep cleaning with Gorgomyte cloth every other year or so before the oiling.

Cougar: ebony boards need oil more than rosewood ones do (once a year will do, though!), as the wood is harder (there's a crap joke in there) and more prone to cracking. Guitar lemon oil (which is basically scented mineral oil) is fine to use on your ebony boards.

#7 User is offline   Pinch 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:09 PM

Oh, and for the rest of the guitar, lightly damp rag and elbow grease.

#8 User is offline   crust 

• Epiphone Enthusiast
  • LocationBrockton, Massachusetts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:45 PM

I've been using "Dunlop 65" and "Dr. Ducks axe wax" both work very , very well imho oh yes , they both do :) indeed :) :) imho :)

https://www.youtube....h?v=Gv6yoixgeq4
https://www.youtube....h?v=6vtav3AHroI

I like both to condition the fretboard Better than "Finger Ease" stuff , maybe a bit

https://www.youtube....h?v=dBNfC8kYTTI

I've never used "Fast Fret" may work ok , maybe I've never tried , yet
or "baby oil" never tried it , yet
I also haven't tried "mineral oil" or "lemon oil"
http://www.tdpri.com...mon-oil.649497/

this Gibson stuff did work ok , for me :) good stuff imho :)
http://store.gibson....uitar-care-kit/

sweat and a little bit of ivory soap and water also works add a "touch" of soap from the "bar" just a tiny amount with a bit of water rub out with tp works for me , to clean , also "lube" ( soap is "fat" , "grease" ) Ivory is "mild" soap , use only a small amount :)

#9 User is offline   Kurt Vonnegut Fan 

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:41 PM

These urethane finishes are damn near bulletproof. Not too many things that'll hurt it. Like any shiny thing, avoid wiping with dry cloths, for the same reason as cars - it causes surface scratches. I use a dry paint brush to dust my guitars off and get into tight places. Sometimes, I use a cloth dampened with a mild solution of Murphy's Oil Soap. 0000 steel wool is great for polishing fingerboards/frets, but tape off pickups to avoid the wool dust getting attracted by the magnets. I only polish occasionally.

#10 User is offline   Kurt Vonnegut Fan 

(oops)

#11 User is offline   Kurt Vonnegut Fan 

(oops)

#12 User is offline   Kurt Vonnegut Fan 

(oops)

#13 User is offline   Pinch 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:23 AM

I agree with K V Fan: there's a thick coat of poly on Epi's. Feels like twice the thickness of the layer the put on a MIM Strat.

Unless you put something corrosive on it, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users