Gibson Brands Forums

Hmm Martin Short Scale Slope Dread...

MorrisrownSal

I cant do anything about it, but I find this very interesting.

Martin has made a few CEO guitars based on a slope shoulder dread. I owned the CEO4-R years back. Anyway, those guitars were long scale with a M&T neck joint (as opposed to dovetail). Mine was really muddy. I sold it.

I just saw this on UMGF.

Short scale. Dovetail. Adi over hog. He is asking $2,999 on UMGF new with warranty (they are a Martin dealer).

https://www.guitarho...guitar-2027455/

I am sorry.... this is one I would be buying if for nothing else than curiosity. I bet it is not muddy at all. Although, I would prefer natural finish or burst.

N0x4d5al.jpg

"That is a very cool looking guitar", indeed. The antique white should age to something really nice, too. However, I've been noticing something lately with the satin finish of the WM-45; Don't know if it's just a particularly good sounding guitar- it is very light, great string break, small pick guard, and no electronics… but it is just so opened up sounding, and I'm wondering if coating a guitar with paint enough to give a glossy, reflective finish effects/ hampers the sound some. The Guitar Hotline D-18 would be a good compare to see how Martin does a version of the J-45.

Keep in mind there are a small number of D-18 SS's out there, which are also short scale.

This conjures up some really bad memories for me. I once spray painted an old Gibson when I got into my first band, thinking it would look cool in white under stage lights. Well, it sucked the tone out of that old classic, but I didn't realize why at the time (15 years old). So, it was goodbye guitar and goodbye stage lights for me... alas!

I'm sure this one sounds MUCH better, however.

Rb

This conjures up some really bad memories for me. I once spray painted an old Gibson when I got into my first band, thinking it would look cool in white under stage lights. Well, it sucked the tone out of that old classic, but I didn't realize why at the time (15 years old). So, it was goodbye guitar and goodbye stage lights for me... alas!

I'm sure this one sounds MUCH better, however.

Rb

Bwahahah. I once repaired a crack in the top of a 1930s Gibson L-00 by drilling holes on either end of it (figuring it would stop the crack from spreading) and then filling with Duco cement. I then attempted to mount a PAF pickup (purchased out of the standard parts box most small music stores used to have sitting in the corner) on a 1930s Martin archtop because I really wanted an electric guitar. Folly of Youth relicing.

Archived