Gibson Brands Forums

Best pickups for classic rythm tone

PBJ

I just finished building a Les Paul kit. I installed 496R and 498T pups in it. I am really after a more mello tone for playing classic country rock, the Eagles etc. It seems that best choice would be either 490's or 57 classics. Is this sound thinking? What is the real difference in the two?

A Les Paul kit? In a real Les Paul, I like the 57s but I am not sure what would sound good in a kit guitar.

What qualities does the 57's sound have that are better than 490's? Is it, bass, improved resonance, a better tone for rythm?

Either 57 classics or the newer MHS (Memphis Historic Spec) will give you the classic smooth rhythm tone. Assuming that your kit has high quality mahogany with a high quality maple cap.

Yes the kit has a clear mahogany body and a nice craved flame maple top. I sure enjoyed the assembly, finishing and set up. It turned out a really nice instrument and I learned a lot in the process.. I just need to find out which pickups will work the best for me to ally. Thank you very much for your help!

• 2 months later...

Those stock pups (496&498) are really nice pickups if I'm playing through a cab that keeps a tight bottom. If I was playing rock and twang, and had any luthiery skills, I would keep the 498T and swap the neck with a good pup that can be split I believe the Memphis kit will do the split..

Archived