• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Lifesavers An ordinary day suddenly changes

#1 User is offline   jdgm 

• Now's The Time!
  • Group: Members
  • LocationIt's nice to be anywhere

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:55 AM

Today I was doing my daily swim and had nearly finished when there was an emergency.

There were swimming lessons going on in one lane, teenagers - and suddenly the swimming teacher started shouting for help.

I was at the deep end and I could see her at the shallow end holding onto a boy who was evidently having a grand mal fit in the water.
He was thrashing about so much she couldn't pull him out.

The lifeguard was in the water next to him in seconds and almost simultaneously about 4-5 other staff came rushing in to help.

They jumped in and held the boy's body and head out of the water - no mean feat as he was really having a major epileptic seizure - and more staff came in and ordered the rest of us out of the pool, NOW PLEASE.

They could not lift him out of the pool until the fit stopped - took a couple of minutes - but finally they got him out, and by then there was an ambulance arriving outside.

There's no doubt at all that they saved his life.

I wonder if the swimming teacher knew he was epileptic - perhaps, but not to that degree. It is also possible - I suppose - that he'd never had a fit that bad before.

It was scary and quite emotional, and I am incredibly impressed by the staff reaction and teamwork. They all knew exactly what to do.

Suddenly a very ordinary situation turned into a life-threatening one; but they won it. They won.

Best wishes to all [thumbup]

#2 User is offline   Big Bill 

• Stink Finger

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:57 AM

Can you imagine how the child's parents felt? Having a child with a disability can be scary. You want them to live a normal life, but incidents like you describe is always in the back of your mind. I'm glad it turned out well
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson ES 339 Memphis
Gretsch 2655 Streamliner
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender 60s Baja Telecaster
Fender 12 String Acoustic
Fender Jazz Bass 1975 Reissue
Hofner Limited Edition Ed Sullivan Ignition Violin Bass
Seagull Excursion Grand Acoustic

#3 User is offline   Farnsbarns 

• Antelope
  • LocationGodstone, Surrey, England

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:11 AM

When I was at school a kid I knew had a seizure in the water and didn't survive. It seems likely no one knew although the kid at school was known to have epilepsy and an inquest ruled there were too many kids and not enough supervision.

My mother in law is a nurse for a huge epilepsy charity. I'll ask, out of interest, if it's the norm to avoid swimming these days.
I'm not drunk, you're blurry.

Farns

#4 User is offline   IanHenry 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:48 PM

Let's just be thankful that the young chap survived.

Ian

#5 User is offline   sparquelito 

• Tourette's Syndrome Sufferer
  • LocationNorthern Alabama

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:52 PM

Such a harrowing and emotion-wrenching experience!!

Glad that there was a happy ending to this one!

:o
Am I alone in this?

Am I alone?

#6 User is offline   american cheez 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:58 PM

that's an awesome story to relate! i hope you will email or somehow contact them to tell them how well their staff responded. getting a little recognition can go a long way.

#7 User is offline   brad1 

• Resident Tin Whacker
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:25 PM

I'm a public school teacher who works with students who have learning disabilities. I've been around students who have had such seizures.
It is such a hard thing to watch a young person go through.
I can't imagine how difficult it must have been trying to keep that kid from hurting himself.
It's good to hear that all turned out OK. :)
Life's Distractions/Pleasures:
Guitars: 2006 Epiphone Ebony G400, 1997 Epiphone Cherry SG Junior, 2007 Epiphone Cherry Dot, 1996 Fender Black MIM Traditional Stratocaster, 2008 VM Squier Olympic White SSH Telecaster, 2011 Jackson Gun Metal Gray JS32R Dinky (FR), 2014 Gibson Fireburst Satin SGJ, 2014 Epiphone Wildkat, 2015 Xaviere XV-500 Trans. Green, 2015 Red Flamed G&L Ascari GTS, 2016 Lake Placid Blue Fender Standard Telecaster, 2016 Gibson T LP Studio Faded Fireburst, 1985 George Washburn Dreadnought, 2014 Washburn WD10 SCE Acoustic/Electric, 2005 Ibanez Trans-Blue Burst GSR200 FM Bass
Amps:
VOX AD30VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Orange Micro Terror, Peavey ValveKing II MicroHead , Quilter Toneblock 200, Hughes & Kettner Tubmeister 18 Head Acoustic B100 Bass Combo, Cabs: Peavey 112, Hughs & Kettner TM110, Orange PPC108

Drums: 1977 Ludwig 5 Piece Butcher Block, 2015 Roland TD- 1KV.

My Music ----> http://soundcloud.com/bradley-e

#8 User is offline   Tman 

• Here most days
  • LocationThe Coast

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:44 PM

My son had a tonic clonic seizure when he was 9. It was the scariest thing I have ever witnessed.

#9 User is offline   badbluesplayer 

• ZIPPER CLUBBER
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:47 AM

I had some seizures and the EMT comes in while I'm having one and he's like "I ain't never seen nothing like this that wasn't drugs." And god bless the guy and his third grade education but my wife goes "Yeah, and I never actually heard a quadruple negative." [thumbup]

TENNESSEE AMPLIFIER COMPANY

#10 User is offline   ReGuitar 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:44 AM

Thank God, they're a well-prepared crew. It's hard to remain calm in moments like this. [thumbup]
Guitars
2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard Trans Amber
2011 Gibson Explorer Cherry
Washburn C104SCE

Amps
Fender HotRod Deluxe
Marshall DSL 40C

Current Pedalboard
Dunlop Crybaby > TC Polytune > Fulltone OCD

'I believe guitars have soul.'

#11 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:25 AM

Woa.. we hear of these things, but totally different when it's happening right infront of you and you can just watch.

It is very good they staff there was able to handle that. a tragedy avoided and a life saved.

A good day for the good guys...
/Ray

#12 User is offline   Hall 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationRabbit Hash, Ky.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:35 AM

View PostBig Bill, on 12 September 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

Can you imagine how the child's parents felt? Having a child with a disability can be scary. You want them to live a normal life, but incidents like you describe is always in the back of your mind. I'm glad it turned out well

With you on those insights.
"The empty vessel makes the loudest sound." w.s.

#13 User is offline   jdgm 

• Now's The Time!
  • LocationIt's nice to be anywhere

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

View PostBig Bill, on 12 September 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

Yes. Absolutely agree. And understand that you know much about this.
Best wishes to you Bill.

View Postamerican cheez, on 12 September 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

that's an awesome story to relate! i hope you will email or somehow contact them to tell them how well their staff responded. getting a little recognition can go a long way.

I did this; you have to say "well done" but not come over as patronising. They were doing their job. I told 2 or 3 of the staff how impressed I was.
The 1st lifeguard who jumped in is the son of one of my neighbours.
I haven't seen the swimming teacher yet but I will; it must have been pretty upsetting for her, but as one member of staff said - "these things happen - you get used to it".

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users