Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Standard, Bilwara and Songwriter

Bläss

Hi People, i'm new here and I know you have probably discussed this subject before.

I'm thinking about buying a new guitar to "upgrade" the arsenal, plus I'm looking for something more warm and bluesy. I currently life in a place where I can really find much options (I moved from Switzerland to Peru 3 years ago)

Luckily I found a really good option, Gibson J-45.

I've played 2 of them: Bilwara (which seems to be some kind of rosewood, much what Martin calls Sisso) and a standard cutaway J-45.

I'm not a cutaway acoustic kind of guy, but I liked the "beautiful dryness" of the standard. But I don't know a lot about it's tonal caracteristics; specially with the Bilwara, and it's been difficult to find someone over here who really knows about the subject and/or has played both.

I can order a non cutaway j-45 also but I'll have to pay for it first and wait 40 days for it to arrive.

(I'm currently playing a Lag Tramontane T100D i brought from Bern)

Any opinions on both Guitars and tonewoods?

Anything is welcome

Thanks in advanced!

Btw: I undusted a 20 year old Yamaha F-310cs and it sounded really good and warm, but lacks some volume, punchy bass and some other little tone details)

Bilhwara (a region in India) is a fancy name for rosewood which is sourced there. Rosewood is a prized tone wood used my most makers in hundreds of guitar models - and works especially well in a J45. Many here would agree that your first impression - to opt for that one over a cutaway - makes sense.

The Gibson j45 is iconic - called 'the workhorse' because it is good for just about every kind of music and is regularly used by performing musicians all over the world. Of course, the 'standard' J45 has mahogany back and sides - but the rosewood version (which is usually called the J45 Custom) is equally desirable. G'Luck.

(y bienvenido !)

Bilhwara (a region in India) is a fancy name for rosewood which is sourced there. Rosewood is a prized tone wood used my most makers in hundreds of guitar models - and works especially well in a J45. Many here would agree that your first impression - to opt for that one over a cutaway - makes sense.

The Gibson j45 is iconic - called 'the workhorse' because it is good for just about every kind of music and is regularly used by performing musicians all over the world. Of course, the 'standard' J45 has mahogany back and sides - but the rosewood version (which is usually called the J45 Custom) is equally desirable. G'Luck.

(y bienvenido !)

J-45 cutaway? I'm not familiar with the guitar. Didn't know they made any.

A J45 cutaway? I'll pass. Why give such a visually potent guitar a cosmetic vasectomy?

The bottom line with this is that a standard J45 in Mahogany is an absolute staple instrument. Incredibly versatile and sounds world class in just about any application. They're a classic guitar which will hold their value and look, sound and feel superb.

The Songwriter is nice, and if it speaks to you and inspires you then go for it, but for me it would easily be the J45 between the two of them.

One Wiley Fool - now you've got ANOTHERJ45 model to add to your list. Are you out there? Have we passed 60 yet?

I'm thinking a J45 cutaway would look like a '55 Chevy with square wheels.

Not sure that a SongWriter was one of the options. I think it's either a J45R (rosewood) or a J45 Cutaway.

Thank you all for the replys and info

And muchas gracias for the welcome "fortyearspickn"!)

I'm still struggling with the decision but i'm between the Bilwara (rosewood) and the standard (i'll have to order that one and wait at least 40 days). I've read many comparisons between the J45 and the songwriter and it appears that the j45 suits my needs better. Sadly i can't play it and figure it out by myself.

As many of you have posted, the cutaway model doesn't makes much sense aesthetically (like a non-cutaway Les Paul) and i suppose it can also affect the sound.

I play mostly fingerstyle, and don't really like much "boominess"... both reasons to lean towards the Standard model because of the Mahogany b/s, according for what i've read.

Does the fact that the Bilwara version is Limited and that Rosewood is now an endangered species (according to CITES) affects the aftermarket value?

Also, the Bilwara is a 2016 model and i've also read that 2016 j45's where excellent, but that also means that the guitar have been displayed on the store for a while and can possibly affect its condition. Or maybe i'm just taking too many varieties into consideration.

Bilwara:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2016/J-45-Bilwara-Tonewood-Edition.aspx

Thank you all for the replys and info

And muchas gracias for the welcome "fortyearspickn"!)

I'm still struggling with the decision but i'm between the Bilwara (rosewood) and the standard (i'll have to order that one and wait at least 40 days). I've read many comparisons between the J45 and the songwriter and it appears that the j45 suits my needs better. Sadly i can't play it and figure it out by myself.

As many of you have posted, the cutaway model doesn't makes much sense aesthetically (like a non-cutaway Les Paul) and i suppose it can also affect the sound.

I play mostly fingerstyle, and don't really like much "boominess"... both reasons to lean towards the Standard model because of the Mahogany b/s, according for what i've read.

Does the fact that the Bilwara version is Limited and that Rosewood is now an endangered species (according to CITES) affects the aftermarket value?

Also, the Bilwara is a 2016 model and i've also read that 2016 j45's where excellent, but that also means that the guitar have been displayed on the store for a while and can possibly affect its condition. Or maybe i'm just taking too many varieties into consideration.

Bilwara:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2016/J-45-Bilwara-Tonewood-Edition.aspx

I'd strongly recommend the standard mahogany J45. It's a great fingerstyle guitar and will handle any playing style or genre you want to throw at it...Rosewood/Bilwara J45s are fine, a different flavour, but the Mahogany J45 is a much better all-rounder to my ears and fingers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you all and sorry about the late reply... to much work lately.

I still haven't bought the guitar. The told me the would get a J45 Standard in less than a month for me to try it. BUT, last time a went to the store (about 2 weeks ago) I tried the Bilwara one again and it was amazing. Years light apart from the last time I played it. The told me the adjust the action and change the strings to Elixir. I'm still going to wait until the Standard arrives, I've had so many good comments about that particular model on this forum that I just need to try it. In the meantime i'm reading everything I can find about Bilwara Tonewood. I even found this, if anyone is interested:

Ron Ferguson talking about Bilwara

Archived