Gibson Brands Forums

Any Banjo pickers here?

jaxson50

I bought a banjo about 6 years ago and started progressing learning to play it. Then the strings got rusty and I screwed up putting new strings on. It's been gathering dust for a few years with fecked up strings. I look at it every day and tell myself I'm going to get it strung right and start playing it again.

The banjo featured looks OK for what it is.....[thumbup]

Banjos come in various configurations.....mostly 4 and 5 string....

Great for adding a 'plink' factor to folk, bluegrass and other traditional musics....

And 4 stringers are widely used in Trad/Dixie jazz bands

For some reason, banjos often end up staying in their cases for long periods of time.....then brought out for a flurry of activity....

Setting up a banjo requires skill and experience regarding tension of the vellum

Otherwise.....everybody should at least try a banjo for a period of time.....[thumbup]

The folk circuit has many guitarists who double on banjo, mandolin, fiddle, tenor guitar etc

Great fun and long may it continue.....[thumbup]

V

:-({|=

The banjo was my first stringed instrument. I think I was 13 or 14. I learned a few tunes in the Scruggs style - Old Joe Clark, Worried Man, etc - but it was so regimented. My picking hand is a little more "free form" than that. :rolleyes: Anyway, once I became obsessed with rock and roll I switched to guitar.

I have thought about getting another banjo lately to try a frailing or clawhammer style more in line with my sloppy right hand.

Final note, a banjo is tuned to open G, so all your Keith Richards lick work. (Not that this will engender admiration from any real banjo pickers mind you).

The banjo was my first stringed instrument. I think I was 13 or 14. I learned a few tunes in the Scruggs style - Old Joe Clark, Worried Man, etc - but it was so regimented. My picking hand is a little more "free form" than that. :rolleyes: Anyway, once I became obsessed with rock and roll I switched to guitar.

I have thought about getting another banjo lately to try a frailing or clawhammer style more in line with my sloppy right hand.

Final note, a banjo is tuned to open G, so all your Keith Richards lick work. (Not that this will engender admiration from any real banjo pickers mind you).

THE OLDLAWS

rct

Yeah. Baby. Man of the Hour, Hurry Sundown, bunch of 'em could stand a banjo. I'll buy the stand, we'll keep it on there. Show me every other banjo part for whatever songs and I'll do half. It's just a funny looking guitar, can't be too hard. I don't want you to miss any overbent high volume speedarriffic southern shredding goodness trapped behind a banjo. Bro.

rct

Yeah. Baby. Man of the Hour, Hurry Sundown, bunch of 'em could stand a banjo. I'll buy the stand, we'll keep it on there. Show me every other banjo part for whatever songs and I'll do half. It's just a funny looking guitar, can't be too hard. I don't want you to miss any overbent high volume speedarriffic southern shredding goodness trapped behind a banjo. Bro.

rct

I'm all about versatility. Got a stand for my lap steel already. [thumbup]

I play a bit, but am no threat to Earl Scruggs, Bela Fleck or many of the modern banjo players! I have 2, one Epi and one Ashbury, both reasonably priced and I use them for overdubs on some of my more country/ folk compositions. I play in a band with a banjo player currently, but he plays more contemporary style stuff as opposed to full on lightning fast picking bluegrass.

It's just a funny looking guitar, can't be too hard.

....er.....ummm...well ok.

I still have my Dad's old 4-stringer.

What's the difference between a banjo and a ukelele?

A ukelele burns faster.

What's the difference between a banjo and a trampoline?

People take their shoes off to jump up and down on a trampoline.

I had half the band's equipment in my '68 Falcon one night, and my other guitar player's banjo on top of the pile in the back seat. We stopped for...cocktails, yeah, that's it, and when we came back out to head for home as the sun rose, we noticed that my beloved Millennium Falcon had been broken into. There was another banjo on the pile.

rct

Archived