Gibson Brands Forums

Help with my Firt Epi Purchase

Roostercat

Greetings!

I am looking for some advice (this is also my first post). I have been playing guitar off and on for about 7 years but over the last 6 months I have been glued to my guitars as our little one is old enough not to require constant supervision and life has allowed me to spend MUCH more time with my guitars. I consider myself an intermediate player or maybe an advanced beginner, it's always been hard to categorize. I have owned 5 guitars but the two I have spent the most time on the last 5 years are my Fender Sonoran acoustic and my Squier 1950s Classic Vibe Telecaster (which I absolutely LOVE). I have a few friends who are all in the exact same position that I am in, and luckily one plays drums, the other bass, and the other sings and plays keyboard. And then there is me. We all want to start jamming, and our goal is to start doing gigs within a year or two.

I was hell bent on getting a new Mexican Strat as my first "name brand" big spending purchase, however, after playing I noticed a lot of the same sounds that I get from my tele and I have no intentions on getting rid of the tele. I am using a fender mustang 1 amp and am very good with the settings and effects ( i plan on upgrading it to the mustang 2 or the marshall equivalent). So I started looking for a different style of guitar.

My main goal is to get a completely different sound than what my 50s tele offers (it has alnico 5 pickups). My favorite guitarists are Slash, Page, Perry, Clapton, Young, etc. (you know where I'm going with that). I was looking into a $400 used Epi LP Standard Plus Pro (which I thought was pricey but was in decent shape), but did not like the red wine color as much as the vintage burst. I looked into the cheaper ESP LTD eclipse, but prefer the actual LPs.

So....here is my question: What are the major differences between the Epi LPs and SGs? I am looking at getting a used LP or a brand new SG (probably the 66 400 pro) so I can also get a case, a nice strap, and an amp upgrade. I know the Les Pauls are so classic and the sound is to die for, but...and this may sound weird - there is just something about the look of those 66 SGs and the way it felt and sounded. I almost think I would regret not having a Les Paul, but the SG just screams rock and roll and maybe I'm in the minority here but I think the Red 66 looks more badass than any other guitar. We will mostly be playing classic rock with a little mix of other stuff (guns, ac/dc, RHCP, Stones, some country like Cash).

Sorry this is so long but i'm trying to make the best informed decision I can because this is the last guitar I'm getting before I get an expensive one like an American Standard Strat or an American Made Gibson.

Any help or advice at all will be greatly appreciated, I am not a headstock snob so I am not interested in getting a used Gibson at this time.

Hello The difference between the 1966 LE and SG pro

please read, thank you :)

http://www.epiphone..../G-400-PRO.aspx

http://www.epiphone....-G-400-PRO.aspx

to me, the differences between the SG and the LP are weight and balance...LP weighs more, possible better "balance" center of gravity... SG are lighter, have "neck dive" ("head end is "heavier", different "balance" than the LP ).. Use a wide strap with an SG to distribute weight and control "neck dive"msp_cursing.gif

I do like My Epiphone SG's.. well, all Epiphone instruments, actually

BbV0U5I.jpg

X8y6KBJ.jpg

:)

The Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top Pro solid body electric guitar is...well, spectacular... that is an apt description :) in my humble opinion

CWIMYpK.jpg

compared to these :)

DIO2fto.jpg

oh yes it is :) indeed :) imho :)msp_love.gif

Ok Thanks for that.

I have read and watched everything out there on the differences between LP and SG and between the two SGs I'm looking at. What I was looking for on here is more of a sound/feel difference from people that play them or have played them frequently. I put more stock in hearing from people that have owned them than just watching videos or reading marketing material.

Ok Thanks for that.

I have read and watched everything out there on the differences between LP and SG and between the two SGs I'm looking at. What I was looking for on here is more of a sound/feel difference from people that play them or have played them frequently. I put more stock in hearing from people that have owned them than just watching videos or reading marketing material.

OK, I can relate. One more thing. My best bud, childhood friend "Lloyd" plays an SG as well as a Jazzmaster. He was in a band for 20 years and does "studio" work. He can play anything, gifted. He can "hear" a tune 1 time, then play it...unreal...Well, getting back to my tale ,. Lloyd has played many guitars, tt was the nature of his business. His SG and Jazzmaster are from 1966-'67. The SG is walnut wood (I believe) with a Bigsby tailpiece unit (like Angus Young's SG). His #1 was the Jazzmaster , until he obtained the SG. I asked him why he didn't play a Les Paul...he told me "they are too heavy to play all night" So , that's my SG story , from a semi-pro , best guitar player ever (imho) classical rock jazz, anything...no bs. I've seen all the greats (except Jimi)... :( he could roll with them...He said the sg is ":lighter, sounds better, looks "cooler" (with the Vibrola tremolo unit) , more "versatile" ...I hope you find what you need. Again, play, and choose what you consider to be "the best" :

)

I mentioned to Lloyd. these things are available, no comment so far. I taught Lloyd how to play, kind of , I like them , a lot , actually the "light" les paul the "less" Les Paul , lol :)

jaiz1Mt.jpg

L8BUF4Z.jpg

He told me he might "look into them" :)

to me, the SG is more "twangy", not telecaster twang, more "glassy" good for slide...I think Mick Taylor used an SG on "Moonlight Mile" , and "Winter". Listen to Derick Trucks SG playing, slide, then listen to Allman bros slide, a little different, then Jimmy Page. "Stereotypical" sounds from both guitars. :) msp_thumbup.gif

to me, the necks are almost identical on a sg & lp, Sg neck may be wider than lp, "flatter" neck, fret radius, good for slide, a little :) there is some variation, slightly...in all guitars imho :)

The SG tone is brighter, the Les Paul is darker, but they are quite similar. By adjusting the tone controls on the guitar and the amp settings, it's possible to make either sound very much like the other, if you so desire.

....i'm trying to make the best informed decision I can....

You're in a good position because either way, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG!

I don't play electrics enough. I was going to sell my Epi LP and keep the Dot, but I think I'll do it the other way around....

lpp390.jpg

AWESOME !

What is the beautiful Gibson Les Paul on the right ?

I picked that up about 5 years ago at "Guitar Center" or online at "Musicians Friend" maybe... special run, I do believe :) . Most beautiful LP I ever did see imho, I don't believe there are too many of those things around, maybe. just delightful I guess that's an appropriate description...another moment of elated exuberance , every time I pick the thing up :) really :) light comfortable sounds unreal , actually :) #3 today :) I have been fortunate , I worked hard , spent my hard earned $ on life I guess :) ...tried not to squander too much on cigs, alcohol, drugs and women. moderation and self control (except for guitars...is that bad too ? ) ..Just my wife and kids. I always set a bit aside in my monthly budget/savings for "family" things, things for my wife, living "responsibilities: and guitar stuff...My wife doesn't mind...she still works, isn't home in the day, time , 5 days a week. I stopped doing "things" that really had no "ROI" dig...don't miss a smelly ash tray and taking bottles to redemption..."Better" things to have my $ absorbed by...guitars...is that wrong ? I don't believe it is :) You can't have enough fun I guess With Epiphone guitars, every day is "fun" imho :) dig ? :) ...more fun too not waste...discard ? invest ? msp_thumbup.gifmsp_biggrin.gifeusa_shifty.gif

I mean, you can have all the $$$ in the world...but , you cant "play" $$$ am I wrong ? ? I don't believe I am :)

You're in a good position because either way, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG!

I don't play electrics enough. I was going to sell my Epi LP and keep the Dot, but I think I'll do it the other way around....

lpp390.jpg

thing of absolute , understated beauty imho look at that thing :) awesome : imho :) :)

AWESOME !

What is the beautiful Gibson Les Paul on the right ?

The guitar on the right is a Gibson Les Paul Special, 2014 special run for Guitar Center and Musicians Friend. It is chambered like a Gibson Midtown. They have 57 Classics in them with coil tapping. Super light guitars and amazing finishes on them. I have one that my wife got me for Valentine's day in 2014. It probably is still one of the most beautiful guitars I own.

thanks for the reply :) really I can't keep track. :) That is my #3, it really is a work of art...indeed it is. I'm kind of hesitant to play it, it is just that nice...but I do,,,carefully :) got a pic you can post of yours ? ya, I like that one , but this is #1 since the moment I obtained it (Sorry Epiphone) :( :) :)

6d2MwQT.jpg

The guitar on the right is a Gibson Les Paul Special, 2014 special run for Guitar Center and Musicians Friend. It is chambered like a Gibson Midtown. They have 57 Classics in them with coil tapping. Super light guitars and amazing finishes on them. I have one that my wife got me for Valentine's day in 2014. It probably is still one of the most beautiful guitars I own.

thanks for the reply :) really I can't keep track. :) That is my #3, it really is a work of art...indeed it is. I'm kind of hesitant to play it, it is just that nice...but I do,,,carefully :) got a pic you can post of yours ? ya, I like that one , but this is #1 since the moment I obtained it )Sorry Epiphone) :( :) :)

6d2MwQT.jpg

That is one sweet guitar. I wanted to get one when Musicians Friend was clearing them out but the wife said no.

Archived