Gibson Brands Forums

Spot the difference?

LarryUK

21728168_10213880311904885_7776886359543432103_n.jpg?oh=7d2657a1bcc176fd20c6b44d3a26c987&oe=5A5CCC4D21731251_10213880312184892_2418437176697989711_n.jpg?oh=ff7a8985bcccade0666dcb020e736a2f&oe=5A47FCE0

Two identical looking brand new guitars. Both Gibson Les Pauls.

But one is £5600 and the other £1700. I wonder how they'd play side by side? Can one be worth 3 times the price of the other plus a decent amp?

The price of wood is negligible.

Hide glue?!! (sarcastically said aloud)

The one on the bottom is the 2018 gold top classic I believe. Knobs are different but other than that I can't see the difference. I know or at least hope there are differences to justify the price gap but visually not much. Is the top one a custom shop?

The one with the speed knobs is the Custom Shop. The one on the left looks like the new 2018 Classic. The one on the right looks like the Custom Shop.

They also have a Goldtop Tribute with P90s for about $800.00. No gloss paint, satin finish, no binding but it's awesome.

The one with the speed knobs is the Custom Shop. The one on the left looks like the new 2018 Classic. The one on the right looks like the Custom Shop.

They also have a Goldtop Tribute with P90s for about $800.00. No gloss paint, satin finish, no binding but it's awesome.

Yup... In 2011 I bought my 60s Tribute GT for £750 and its awesome.. Sounds every bit a Les Paul and is nice and light, in fact that's one of the things I like about it.. Its a lot of fun to play [thumbup]

And yes I also think its a 2018 Classic and probably an R6 Custom. And no, its probably not 3 times better. But the hide glue :P

GenDvu0.jpg

Well, if I can quote myself, this is what I wrote about the things a fortnight ago;

So in summary;

We have a solid-body Gold Top Standard with P-90s and both an aluminium ABR-1 and Tailpiece.

The only real differences between this and an Historic R6 as far as I can see are minimal being limited to short-tenon (here) and (possibly) a different headstock shape. Almost everything else different is either bolt-on - such as Grovers in place of Klusons, 'Historic-spec' plastics and so on - or cosmetic such as the p'head silk-screen and serial number.

Very interesting, very tempting and very nice for those after an R6 but put off by the price...

It's actually the one with the hat-box knobs which is the R6.

Compare the 'points' on the inlays; the differences in fret-board binding; the slot-head V's Phillips-head p'g bracket mounting screws; the different edge profiles of the p'guards and so on.

Yes; the R6 is closer to the original (obviously) but can a nearly $4k-worth of difference be justified by such finely tuned detailing?

Pip.

21728168_10213880311904885_7776886359543432103_n.jpg?oh=7d2657a1bcc176fd20c6b44d3a26c987&oe=5A5CCC4D21731251_10213880312184892_2418437176697989711_n.jpg?oh=ff7a8985bcccade0666dcb020e736a2f&oe=5A47FCE0

Two identical looking brand new guitars. Both Gibson Les Pauls.

But one is £5600 and the other £1700. I wonder how they'd play side by side? Can one be worth 3 times the price of the other plus a decent amp?

The price of wood is negligible.

THIS "Classic" is THE one, for me! For those that can afford the R-6 True Historic...GO for it! But, this one

will do nicely, IMHO, for ME! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

CB

Well, if I can quote myself, this is what I wrote about the things a fortnight ago;

Compare the 'points' on the inlays; the differences in fret-board binding; the slot-head V's Phillips-head p'g bracket mounting screws; the different edge profiles of the p'guards and so on.

Yes; the R6 is closer to the original (obviously) but can a nearly $4k-worth of difference be justified by such finely tuned detailing?

Pip.

Wow! [scared] All I saw was one had a phillips screw and the other a straight slot.

The R-6 (Top Photo) will (most likely) have a bit smaller head stock, with less flanging, true the '50's era.

The "Classic" may (or, may not?) have a larger head stock (longer/wider) with more pronounced outer points

on the upper portion.

And, of course, the R-6 has the period correct "Tulip" Kluson (or Kluson style) tuners, and the

"Classic" has Grover Rotomatic's.

But, since neither head stock is pictured, I can only have an educated guess, about those differences.

And, I suppose the R-6 will have true to historic "Gold" mixed paint, and clear coat, and plastics.

The "Classic" more the modern version.

CB

Well, there are other visible subtle differences - such as the rolled top-edge binding on the fingerboard (which makes a surprising amount of difference comfort-wise) on the R6 - and the more obvious differences such as the 'pointers' for the Historic but not for the USA-line. The USA-line can be seen to have a metal jack-plate output plate which would certainly not be seen on the reissue and similarly the R-I would have the regular small aluminium strap-buttons instead of the (much more secure) larger versions fitted to the other model.

We could go on for a short while more here but I don't really see the need for us to do so.

Yours, anally, in Dorkdom,

Pip.

Yeah, it's merely a matter of preference, and/or budget! EITHER one, will be an awesome guitar!

And, aren't the 2017 and new 2018 Gibson USA models using the more "rolled" fingerboard binding edges, these days?

Seems like I read that, in some of their promotional material, at some point. Or, was I just "Dreaming?!" [flapper][biggrin]

CB

I wonder if there is a similar post on the Epiphone forum comparing the Epiphone version to the Gibson USA version and pointing out how the Epi is 4 times cheaper.

But seriously, I prefer the historic line, my R8 is a nicer guitar than my other 6 USA Gibsons. I paid $2800 for it new and every time I play it I'm glad I did.

Gibson knows what they are doing here. The market for R6s has never been even close to the later reissue years. I'm sure they decided to capitalize and issue this guitar. To boot it has a 60s neck.

Still, P90s are not even close in popularity to humbuckers, I am sure they'll sell a bunch of these but I doubt they will issue the same guitar with humbuckers

1505511875[/url]' post='1881571']

The pickup on the one in the second picture has the neck up closer to the fretboard, and the one in the first picture the switch is on the treble pup and the second one the switch is on both pups. That's all I got.

Yeah, I saw that too. First I saw the color difference, then the binding right off. The top one has a cream color binding like my Gold Top and the bottom one has white. I saw the neck to bridge difference but thought it was an optical illusion because your looking at the top guitar straight on and the bottom one at an angle. But that was about all I got. Lately I wanted to hear what's the big difference between humbuckers and P90's and so I listened to several videos and honestly, I couldn't tell the difference.

I wonder if there is a similar post on the Epiphone forum comparing the Epiphone version to the Gibson USA version and pointing out how the Epi is 4 times cheaper.

But seriously, I prefer the historic line, my R8 is a nicer guitar than my other 6 USA Gibsons. I paid $2800 for it new and every time I play it I'm glad I did.

Gibson knows what they are doing here. The market for R6s has never been even close to the later reissue years. I'm sure they decided to capitalize and issue this guitar. To boot it has a 60s neck.

Still, P90s are not even close in popularity to humbuckers, I am sure they'll sell a bunch of these but I doubt they will issue the same guitar with humbuckers

Well, if the R-6 was (still) $2800, new, I'd buy it, in heartbeat! But, it's closer to 7 Grand now, new! For me, in my current

situation, that's not even in the ball park, and (frankly) I would never spend that kind of money, on ANY guitar, anyway. [tongue]

For those who can, and will...Great! Go for it! [thumbup] But, the "Classic," even with all it's modest shortcomings,

compared to that of the "True Historic" R-6, is "close enough," for me! [thumbup][biggrin] Neck size, has never been

a problem, for me. My "herd" has a lot of different neck shapes, and sizes. So, I'm used to adapting, back and forth.

I commend Gibson USA, for offering the LP "Classic" in a "hand wired" P-90 Gold Top, once again! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Again, I think Gibson knows that a lot of us are thinking the same way, that this guitar is close enough to an R6.

Will they do the same thing with other Les Pauls? we'll see.

A few weeks ago a used R6 came up for sale locally, mint for $2000.

Pip.

The back looks a bit darker on the R6 too. I agree. I don't see a $4k difference between the two but for those people who want historically accurate specs, I guess those are the ones that would fork over the extra money. I would have to save up $12,000.00 to get the R6. $6,000.00 for the guitar, $6,000.00 in something for the wife, so she doesn't feel left out. :)

Archived