Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: 2018 SG Special

darling67

I had planned to pick one of these up at some point in the future—but not so soon! [biggrin] However, upon searching availability at Guitar Center stores in So Cal… and finding there were several natural models in-stock in my immediate area… there was no way I was going to not pick one up now! It just came in to the store a couple days ago, so it was not quite "floor model experienced" yet. [thumbup]

Just the "soft case" alone was enough to sell me! They're really quite nice—much nicer than the black foam-padded gig bags. This guitar is sweet! Nice and light-weight, like most SGs… the sound of these mini humbuckers is clean and focused… the natural finish is gorgeous... and I love the half-face pick guards.

I have a feeling this Special is going to become my main SG, out of the three I now own.

20170914_135856_zpsec8t5xrp.jpg20170914_140143_zpsyzcu4cyh.jpg

20170914_135926_zpsggwowblt.jpg20170914_140009_zpso2ppjgfm.jpg

Thanks, you guys!

I kept telling myself that, "I really don't need anymore guitars....". But each time I try to convince myself of that, I am proven wrong yet again! [laugh]

This is an instant fave. Neck feels really good, too. It's not very "chunky"—and I'd begun to prefer chunkier necks a while back. The satin finish on this Special makes for very smooth and comfortable navigation up and down the neck.

Yes the shape of the pickguard is very strange and the scews too, first time I see a small pickguard with 5 screws, have a look to those 2013 SG :

Right. Not only does it fall short of the upper curve, it doesn't come down quite as far as other SG's pick guards I've seen.

Gives it some "uniqueness". [wink]

Congrats Bud!

Thanks!

absolutely beautiful

I agree! Thank you!

Nice! [thumbup]

Would love to see an angled 3/4 shot, especially of the upper horn...looks like the outer (top) horn bevel is more abrupt at the

outer most portion, creating a "paddle" like horn tip? I've seen that, only once, before. On the same model, at my dealer's

store, about a year ago. Unique!

CB

I'm on it! Stay tuned....

C.B.

I hope these angled shots answer your query.

20170915_170834_zpsggjbm8jm.jpg20170915_170818_zpswddfyie5.jpg

20170915_170755_zps9idxy9vu.jpg

Thanks, for the extra photos...although your's doesn't look as obvious as the one I saw,

at my dealers...at least, not in these photos. The one I saw, had the same upper bout (front) bevel,

but actually had a "paddle" like appearance, at the inside tip, when combined with the back beveling,

on that particular (upper) Horn. It was almost "comical," as I had Never seen that before, on any

SG, over the last 50+ years. I wish (now) I had taken a photo of it, as it was quite obvious...at

least, to Me! LOL Those kinds of "oddities" make those guitars "unique!" :D

Cheers, your trusted "Bevel & Horn Taper Policeman," [flapper][biggrin]

CB

Thanks, for the extra photos...although your's doesn't look as obvious as the one I saw,

at my dealers...at least, not in these photos. The one I saw, had the same upper bout (front) bevel,

but actually had a "paddle" like appearance, at the inside tip, when combined with the back beveling,

on that particular (upper) Horn. It was almost "comical," as I had Never seen that before, on any

SG, over the last 50+ years. I wish (now) I had taken a photo of it, as it was quite obvious...at

least, to Me! LOL Those kinds of "oddities" make those guitars "unique!" :D

Cheers, your trusted "Bevel & Horn Taper Policeman," [flapper][biggrin]

CB

Sure thing! I love engaging in sleuth work... and if guitars are involved, even better.

I own three SGs now... and each has different horn bevels. My '91 Standard has no beveling; my 2013 '50s Tribute has deep beveling that meets at the point; and my new 2018 Special has the beveling as shown—stops before reaching the point, creating a new edge.

Archived