Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 2012 J45 TV

Rosinante

Actual NGD was several days ago but I was too busy enjoying it. I made a trade for a different acoustic I wasn't bonding with. It is great to have a J45 again and sweet that it is a TV to boot! I had one of the Pure Voice J45s that I sold in the quest for the next bigger and better thing. This guitar is similar to that one but it has its own unique flavor for sure. I really enjoy it. Sound is superb. My other acoustic is a Collings D1A that is just about the greatest guitar I think was made in the history of luthiery. As far as beauty of sound the TV keeps up and offers a great contrast to the direct square shoulder dread. I like that the J45 is quieter as I don't have to compete with the guitar when singing a tune. Now the big problem is going to be making sure both of these great guitars get equal playtime. I actually think that I may come to prefer the J45 for most applications that don't involve competing for volume, i.e. Jamming with other louder instruments.

I may switch out the tuners and bridge pins at some point. I would welcome any advice from anyone that has done these mods, I am looking for direct replacements for both. The tuners hold a tune for sure but they are not very smooth. As for the bridge pins, well they are just bridge pins, but I would like to do better than plastic for this great guitar. I've seen Colosi mentioned all over these pages, does anyone know exactly what set would be closest? 2A I see mentioned, but there is also mention of 1.3. If any of you have made either of these mods to your TV I would be grateful to know. Now pictures!

9wFQzuX.jpg

CnbyrTX.jpg

I'm not sure what you have on your TV.

I recently replaced the Grovers on a SJ Kristofferson with Waverly's. They were a direct replacement with no modifications.

B67E11C8-85C1-4CFB-8890-1F69FF9FDDFD_zpseykum3tz.jpg

BC882F93-33E6-490F-AC1B-05B87B39F038_zpsg9glgeee.jpg

Those look sweet! I have three on a plate tuners so my options for replacement are limited. And since I want to drill no additional holes I want to make sure that whatever I get will just drop right in.

Congratulations on the ideal counterpoint to the Collings dread - could be fun to hear an A/B.

T'would also be interesting to know how the playing-balance turns out.

Many times have I heard about people gettin' addicted to their Gibsons while lettin' their other stuff* down.

Seldom if ever a story about the other way around. Tchaaee, , , could be a matter of Forums of course, , , still. . .

*no brands mentioned, no brands forgotten

Static

AND

Brixa CONGRATS ! I think the TVs represent much of the best of what Gibson acoustics are renown for. I've been following TV's pricing and they seem to represent a real steal. I"m sure yours are keepers! (Brixa, was yours a J45? Since you look like you already have one?)

On another note - What America Needs ... is a Google website that you can find out what replacement tuners will work for your acoustic. Sort of like translating from English to Spanish websites.

Even if Gibson just created a chart that showed us what aftermarket tuners would fit without any modification on each of their current models.

And as far as the bridge pins - just add a line on their specs sheets telling us officially what they use. 2a, It ? Inquiring Minds want to know.

Since you asked for opinions, I'd say don't bother with the replacing the bridge pins. Stock pins are just fine. If you're wanting a cosmetic change then go for it, but if you're looking for some dramatic sonic "improvement" don't get your hopes up. I will agree though, that the stock tuners are a bit annoying and not the smoothest (same with the stock Grovers on my 2012 AJ). I've replaced the nut on my AJ, and filed the nut slots on both guitars and had have them set up perfectly, and the tuners on both guitars leave a little to be desired.

Since you asked for opinions, I'd say don't bother with the replacing the bridge pins. Stock pins are just fine. If you're wanting a cosmetic change then go for it, but if you're looking for some dramatic sonic "improvement" don't get your hopes up. I will agree though, that the stock tuners are a bit annoying and not the smoothest (same with the stock Grovers on my 2012 AJ). I've replaced the nut on my AJ, and filed the nut slots on both guitars and had have them set up perfectly, and the tuners on both guitars leave a little to be desired.

Not expecting sonic improvements at all, just want to replace the plastic pins with something nicer. I'm thinking ebony, mostly just for looks. As far as the tuners those will be swapped out as soon as I figure out what tuners will be a direct replacement with a smoother gearing. It's looking like finding a set of the now discontinued tonepros kluson may be the best bet.

Thanks Forty ears - yes its a 2014 J45 TV. I am UK based and its not often these come up in mint and unaltered condition. My J160 will need to go soon and my current J45 is the standard. This may go next year as I trim the herd. I can hardly wait to get the TV and just play the hell out of it.

Thanks Forty ears - yes its a 2014 J45 TV. I am UK based and its not often these come up in mint and unaltered condition. My J160 will need to go soon and my current J45 is the standard. This may go next year as I trim the herd. I can hardly wait to get the TV and just play the hell out of it.

You are going to love your TV. If it is anything like mine it will be amazingly versatile, light as a feather and have time for days!

Can't beat the TV's! I went through several J45 Standards of varying years and a newer J45 Vintage model and none of them ever hit the mark for me. The Standards always sounded tight and choked, and for the price of admission I really was not impressed with the dull sounding 2016 Vintage, even though I was assured by Chicago Music exchange that this one was specifically picked out of the many they had as being one of the best. So much for it being the best! It had a god-awful set-up, I couldn't budge the truss rod, and it just sounded dull and dead, so it went back. Shortly after I found a used 2010 J45TV at Guitar Center of all places, and paid around $1,900 for it. Took it home, set it up the way I like and then had a local tech/luthier install a K&K Pure Mini. It's a great guitar, light as a feather as others have commented, and the sound of that pickup in that guitar is surprisingly natural and wonderful. I did replace the stock pickguard with one I made from a sheet of material I got from StewMac. Something about how the stock pickguard covered up the rosette looked sloppy. Here's the guitar with the new pickguard.

3Iuuoad.jpg

2CNYhqw.jpg

Archived