Gibson Guitar Board: 2018 Gold Top advice - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2018 Gold Top advice

#1 User is offline   Beerad12 

• Group: Members

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:03 PM

So I pre-ordered a 2018 Les Paul Classic and it finally showed up yesterday after about three weeks of waiting for the orders to come in. The night before the guitar arrived some tubes in my amp hit the fritz so I have yet to run it through an amp yet but in the meantime I have been giving the guitar a once over and spotted a few things I wanted to get some of your opinions on. Some of the things I noticed are simply cosmetic and I don't necessarily mind them but the nut on this guitar looks a bit weird to me (see image below) On the low e side there is a notch cut into the nut. It also looks irregular in shape with a little arch like cut on between the high e and b string. Is this something I should be concerned with over the long haul or is it just a little sloppy work on the cut, but other than that not a big deal functionall or should I consider returning the guitar for another. Acoustically I don't hear anything weird, no buzz or binding in the nut so my gut reaction is its just a little off on the cut but I'll defer to some of the more experienced here on the forum.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The other things I noticed aren't deal breakers as they don't effect the sound or playability of the guitar but are noticable. The natural stain on the headstock looks like it smeared or dripped maybe and has two waves in the stain. It's either that or just some weird grain spots on that portion of the guitar and no where else. Not a big deal just curious.
Posted Image
Lastly and probably the least noticeable is the overspray on the binding. Once again not a big deal and doesn't effect sound, or playability so I don't mind.
Posted Image
Overall as of now I like the guitar. The rolled binding feels nice and at a little over ten pounds she is a chunky thang!! Now im just waiting to get my amp back so i can plug up and hear those P90's.
So really my only concern is the nut so any advice on that is most appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Beerad

#2 User is online   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:13 PM

Ohh.. That nut doesn't look good... The slots seem too deep apart from the low e... May get binding issues.

BUT in saying that if it all works ok and you like the sound then whatever.. But it does look odd.
"Im the one thats going to have to die when its time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I WANT TOO" Jimi Hendrix

#3 User is online   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:20 PM

As an example.. Heres the nut on my 2010 Standard.. The strings should be like half in and half out of the nut. Not all the way down. If you are not afraid to do so, you could file the top of the nut down a bit.. But you shouldn't really have too on a new guitar like that.

Posted Image
"Im the one thats going to have to die when its time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I WANT TOO" Jimi Hendrix

#4 User is offline   Twang Gang 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLake Keowee, SC

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:10 PM

Issues seem very minor. I would wait and see what it sounds like and if it stays in tune OK before thinking of returning it. Nut may need a little work, hard to tell from photos, but again see how it plays.

Hope it sounds great.
2017 Custom Shop 356 Mahogany/Maple Antique Natural
2017 Les Paul Standard T Honeyburst
2013 L5-CES Natural (Maple/Spruce)
2013 Les Paul Custom Lite (Mahogany/Maple) Ebony
2007 Taylor Solid Body Custom (Sapele/Walnut)
2010 Fender Telecaster (Ash)
2006 Taylor Grand Symphony (Rosewood/Spruce)
1981 Ovation Balladeer
1963 Walthari Mittenwald Classical
Rivera Venus 6 (1 X 12)Combo
Blackstar HT-5R (1 X 10) Combo
AER Compact 60-2

#5 User is offline   Beerad12 

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:39 PM

Thanks guys. Yeah the nut is really my only concern with this guitar. In the limited time I've had and played the guitar I haven't felt or heard any binding issues with the strings. I wouldnt mind filing the string slots as / if needed if that were an issue, no big deal there as some fine tuning is uderstandable. I think I'm more concerned with what may just be a sub par cutting of the nut. I don't need guitars to be 100% perfect straight out of the box but this nut seems a bit off. I'll try to get some more up close and clearer pictures up a little later.

Thanks fellas.

#6 User is online   surfpup 

• Picker and Grinner
  • LocationSaint Augustine, FL

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:34 PM

So, just to be clear, the new guitar sounds and plays great, but still you may be dissatisfied due because the nut looks funny to you?

#7 User is offline   Beerad12 

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:03 PM

surfpup, on 16 September 2017 - 08:34 PM, said:

So, just to be clear, the new guitar sounds and plays great, but still you may be dissatisfied due because the nut looks funny to you?

Not at all. And to be honest I have never been dissatisfied with this guitar or any of my other gibsons. I was simply asking more experienced Gibson players / owners if the pictures I posted showed something I should be concerned with beyond the information / knowledge I have about the issue. In general I dont get let cosmetic issues overide if the playability of a guitar is good. I did however go back and look at a few of my other gibsons and it seems the that their......uhm, nuts look similar so I have put my concerns to rest.

#8 User is online   surfpup 

• Picker and Grinner
  • LocationSaint Augustine, FL

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

View PostBeerad12, on 16 September 2017 - 09:03 PM, said:

I did however go back and look at a few of my other gibsons and it seems the that their......uhm, nuts look similar so I have put my concerns to rest.

[thumbup] Nut looks fine to me. That's a beauty of a guitar! [love] That said, I'd knock the nut off and put in a bone one if it were mine.

#9 User is offline   Beerad12 

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:41 PM

surfpup, on 16 September 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

[thumbup] Nut looks fine to me. That's a beauty of a guitar! [love] That said, I'd knock the nut off and put in a bone one if it were mine.

Yeah that's the direction I was leaning. It's understandable that handcrafted items like guitars will vary from one to the other but as long as you can tinker with them you can get them the way you ultimately want them.

Thanks.

#10 User is offline   StRanger7032 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSW Colorado USA

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:30 PM

I'm buying one of those this year too, as are half the Gibson fans in the world apparently! Can't wait to hear what it sounds like. If the nut is weird on mine, I'll have my luthier hand make a bone one like he did for my G&L.
'13 Gibson J-35 Reissue.
'14 Gibson SG Standard: BCS custom vintage electronics, SD Alnico II Pro set, coil splits.
'93 Epiphone G-400: BCS custom vintage electronics, SD Alnico II Pro (Neck), SD 59' Custom Hybrid (Bridge), coil splits.
'99 G&L USA Legacy (Strat).
'13 Fender American Standard Telecaster: SD tapped Hot Tele (Neck).
'16 Fender Standard Jazz Bass.
'74 Franciscan classical.
'16 Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special.
'15 Line 6 Amplifi TT.

#11 User is offline   badbluesplayer 

• ZIPPER CLUBBER
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:25 AM

Nut looks o.k. to me. Not a deal breaker at all. Rock. on! [thumbup] [thumbup]

TENNESSEE AMPLIFIER COMPANY

#12 User is offline   MichaelT 

• Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
  • LocationSomewhere in Kentucky

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:56 AM

It looks a little odd but if it stays in tune, doesn't bind and the action is good, it shouldn't matter much. Those new Goldtop Classics look amazing. The picture of the wood just looks like a spot in the wood grain.

For some people, little things like that would drive them crazy but I'm of the mindset that if it plays well, sounds good and it's a great guitar, little imperfections give it character as long as it's not impacting performance.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users