2018 Gold Top advice

#21 User is online   Farnsbarns 

• Antelope
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationGodstone, Surrey, England

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:33 AM

IT IS NOT OVER SPRAY ON BINDING.

There are two factors at play here...

One is that the guitars are built in a traditional manner so the stain or paint (depending on finish) is sprayed over the binding and then scraped off. Leaving the edge of the binding covered is deliberate.

The second is that the stains bleed across the binding through the nitrocellulose finish and, to some extent, through the binding itself. These are "features" of a guitar built a certain way.
I'm not drunk, you're blurry.

Farns

#22 User is offline   Beerad12 

• Advanced Member

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:13 AM

After having this guitar a few months now I can say this thing is a beast. I love the guitar and dig the sound of the P90's. No tuning issues so far so the nut is fine, it just looks a little "messy". All the other issues which were aesthetic issues anyway have been long forgotten. I encourage any of you who are thinking about picking up one of the 2018 classic LP to do so. I'm glad I jumped on mine when I did, got 15% of the list and before the price increase,so $1699.00 out the digital door! Bottom line: excellent guitar! And like many here have said it's rare you find a hand built instrument without some "individuality" or "variations" or even flaws. The bottom line is playability and sound is paramount. This LP has both. Thanks for the replies fellas.

#23 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:09 PM

Beerad12, on 16 September 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

So I pre-ordered a 2018 Les Paul Classic and it finally showed up yesterday after about three weeks of waiting for the orders to come in. The night before the guitar arrived some tubes in my amp hit the fritz so I have yet to run it through an amp yet but in the meantime I have been giving the guitar a once over and spotted a few things I wanted to get some of your opinions on. Some of the things I noticed are simply cosmetic and I don't necessarily mind them but the nut on this guitar looks a bit weird to me (see image below) On the low e side there is a notch cut into the nut. It also looks irregular in shape with a little arch like cut on between the high e and b string. Is this something I should be concerned with over the long haul or is it just a little sloppy work on the cut, but other than that not a big deal functionall or should I consider returning the guitar for another. Acoustically I don't hear anything weird, no buzz or binding in the nut so my gut reaction is its just a little off on the cut but I'll defer to some of the more experienced here on the forum.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The other things I noticed aren't deal breakers as they don't effect the sound or playability of the guitar but are noticable. The natural stain on the headstock looks like it smeared or dripped maybe and has two waves in the stain. It's either that or just some weird grain spots on that portion of the guitar and no where else. Not a big deal just curious.
Posted Image
Lastly and probably the least noticeable is the overspray on the binding. Once again not a big deal and doesn't effect sound, or playability so I don't mind.
Posted Image
Overall as of now I like the guitar. The rolled binding feels nice and at a little over ten pounds she is a chunky thang!! Now im just waiting to get my amp back so i can plug up and hear those P90's.
So really my only concern is the nut so any advice on that is most appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Beerad

Hey man I think I saw this exact same guitar at GC today. The D string slot was a horror as it was WAY too wide and cut like sh1t and to top it off if had that weird slice in the side. Bottom line wouldn't buy it because of this. I know it was said to simply replace he nut but for the price of $1800 on sale today for quite possibly this exact same guitar is a deal breaker to me. Bottom line, your photos are uncanny to me as I would bet Money I saw this exact guitar today.

EDIT: I just was reading the latest posts in here, and seems like you kept your 18 Classic. Anyhow, the nut on the one I saw looked like the photos you shared and I thought it was pretty lame for a couple thousand that the nut - which has to be sliced out there and all that crap - can't be good from the factory or by the time it hits the shelves... Whatever with this, my opinion has shifted as the price goes down for shoddy quality to pay for the work I need to fund to get the guitar this is supposed to be.I simply remembered that I had contributed to this posting, and clearly remember that side slice on the nut because once I saw this, the memories triggered. And my opinion of this guitar is that it is a good Les Paul, just a pain in the A to deal with a nut that is cut like crap.

This post has been edited by NighthawkChris: 17 December 2017 - 06:25 PM

Typos courtesy of iPhone

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users