Gibson Guitar Board: My 1st Les Paul Purchase has been a NIGHTMARE!!! Help!! - Gibson Guitar Board

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My 1st Les Paul Purchase has been a NIGHTMARE!!! Help!! Quality problems

#21 User is offline   hi13ts 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:08 AM

View PostMatty1976, on 17 September 2017 - 12:10 AM, said:

I've had to work on most of my Gibsons in one way or another after receipt: one a replaced nut, one has not perfect alignment on the tuners, and my new 2018 Classic has an ever so slight defect in the finish on the back of the neck. For me, I buy these guitars to play, not hang on the wall, so I'm fine with minor issues. Gibson gets a bad rap of late for "quality issues", and don't get me wrong I understand a complaint on an expensive instrument, but if the guitar feels right I fix and move on. I agree that over 2 grand is a lot and you should get what you want. I guess I'm either a sucker or maybe shouldn't look past certain issues, but my guitars are bought to be players and aren't going to stay perfect for long anyway. Make them fix the nut (if they are competent to do so) and love the crap out of the honey burst. That's the one you want, so go for it.

I agree, every guitar I've had, I've changed something to make it ideal for my playing and desire. A guitar is a pretty moody object with moody materials. Wood expands and contracts, the metal pieces do too, the nitro finish does as well. I can't expect to buy a guitar, no matter how expensive it is, and have it play exactly the way I want. Because of the nature of the instrument and its parts, there has to be an expectation that something will be outside of the ideal. As long as it's not structurally compromised like a bad neck pitch or broken truss rod, most things are essentially touch ups that don't cost much money.

I can sympathize with Drock's frustration, but I come at it kind of in the way I come at a car. You're going to have to work on it no matter how expensive it is. For me, I enjoy the customization and the hands on work I have with it.

#22 User is offline   Leonard McCoy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:12 AM

I'd like a snapshot. I've never seen a broken nut in my entire life before. How does a nut break?!
1990 Ovation Legend L717 (A-bracing)
2000 Epiphone SQ-180 Neil Diamond
2002 Ovation Celebrity LCC047 (signed by Alun Davies)

Finely transcribed Cat Stevens Guitar Tabs (fan project)

Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history
was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.óJol Dantzig, founder of Hamer Guitars

#23 User is offline   Eracer_Team 

• More Gear than Tallent

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:15 PM

I think it's the loose nut behind the guitar

#24 User is offline   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:28 PM

View Postsparquelito, on 17 September 2017 - 07:27 PM, said:

I read somewhere that Adolf Hitler suffered from a defective nut.

Just sayin....

[glare] :unsure: [unsure]

I think I heard somewhere that the other was found in the Royal Albert Hall..

:unsure: :D
"Im the one thats going to have to die when its time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I WANT TOO" Jimi Hendrix

#25 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Billy The Mountain
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:40 AM

View PostLeonard McCoy, on 14 October 2017 - 02:12 AM, said:

I'd like a snapshot. I've never seen a broken nut in my entire life before. How does a nut break?!

You get kicked there. Seriously I have no clue how QA would not see a broken nut. Come on you knew it was coming. New someone is gonna joke on that.
1995 - Fender American Standard Jazz Bass with Rio Grande Pickups and a Warmoth J Bass Neck
1997 - Fender American Standard Tele with Rio Grande Pickups
2000 - Gibson SG Special
2003 - Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat with Rio Grande Pickups and a Warmoth Strat Neck
2009 - Gibson BB King "Lucille" Signature Model
2009 - Kala KA-T Tenor Ukulele
2011 - Martin D-28

2014 - Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II with Lindy Fralin Pure PAF's
20?? - Martin D-18 (On Layaway)

Fender Deville 60 Watt Combo Guitar Amp

Fender Blues Jr. 15 Watt Como Guitar Amp with a Weber Speaker
Mesa Transatlantc TA-15 Head 5W/15W/25W Switchable
Egnater Tweaker 40 Watt Combo Guitar Amp (On Loan To My Son)

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Extension Cab with a Weber Speaker
Acoustic B100 Amp 100 Watt Bass Combo Amp
Orange CrushPiX CRL20 20 Watt Guitar Amp

#26 User is offline   Dom Mort 

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:38 AM

The OP's guitar probably didn't have a cracked nut. I see Gibsons all the time with a line on the nut that looks like a crack. Upon further inspection you will find it's simply a line where the builder applied tape to mask off areas so they wouldn't get lacquer on them, and this leaves a line. Not all Gibsons end up with the line, just the ones sprayed by whomever it is at Gibson that masks them up this way. My R8 has a line on both sides that you'd think was a crack until you looked at it under a magnifying glass. My R0 has a line on just one side. The OP's guitar was probably just fine the first time. New Gibsons take a bit of time to settle down and stay in stable tuning, and Standards often seem to have tight nut slots which could do with a bit of widening to keep the strings from binding. A few months of heavy use seems to settle this all out regardless.

#27 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• LocationMetro Detroit, MI

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:36 AM

Just purchased brand new LP Custom from GC, and no major issues whatsoever. Online purchase and everything... I am very happy with my purchase and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Of course, even for the money, it is going to take some time to break in, but I knew this from experience... people who buy expensive instruments need to understand this and stop expecting absolute, unconditional perfection, because it will never work out that way.

#28 User is offline   ajay 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:33 PM

It's probably a Nitrocellulose crack, and not the nut itself. I've seen a lot of "cracked nut" posts, and 9 out of ten times the experts on the forum whittle the problem down to acrually be a Nitrocellulose crack. If You think about it, it would be pretty hard to crack one nut, and unbelievably difficult to have fo out of five nuts on a Gibson actually cracked. I think if You did some precise razor blade surgery You could eliminate those cracks in no time at all. Best wishes and good luck though.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users