Gibson Brands Forums: My 1st Les Paul Purchase has been a NIGHTMARE!!! Help!! - Gibson Brands Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My 1st Les Paul Purchase has been a NIGHTMARE!!! Help!! Quality problems

#21 User is offline   hi13ts 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:08 AM

View PostMatty1976, on 17 September 2017 - 12:10 AM, said:

I've had to work on most of my Gibsons in one way or another after receipt: one a replaced nut, one has not perfect alignment on the tuners, and my new 2018 Classic has an ever so slight defect in the finish on the back of the neck. For me, I buy these guitars to play, not hang on the wall, so I'm fine with minor issues. Gibson gets a bad rap of late for "quality issues", and don't get me wrong I understand a complaint on an expensive instrument, but if the guitar feels right I fix and move on. I agree that over 2 grand is a lot and you should get what you want. I guess I'm either a sucker or maybe shouldn't look past certain issues, but my guitars are bought to be players and aren't going to stay perfect for long anyway. Make them fix the nut (if they are competent to do so) and love the crap out of the honey burst. That's the one you want, so go for it.

I agree, every guitar I've had, I've changed something to make it ideal for my playing and desire. A guitar is a pretty moody object with moody materials. Wood expands and contracts, the metal pieces do too, the nitro finish does as well. I can't expect to buy a guitar, no matter how expensive it is, and have it play exactly the way I want. Because of the nature of the instrument and its parts, there has to be an expectation that something will be outside of the ideal. As long as it's not structurally compromised like a bad neck pitch or broken truss rod, most things are essentially touch ups that don't cost much money.

I can sympathize with Drock's frustration, but I come at it kind of in the way I come at a car. You're going to have to work on it no matter how expensive it is. For me, I enjoy the customization and the hands on work I have with it.

#22 User is offline   Leonard McCoy 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:12 AM

I'd like a snapshot. I've never seen a broken nut in my entire life before. How does a nut break?!
1990 Ovation Legend L717 (A-bracing)
2009 Gibson Les Paul Standard Left-handed Ebony

Finely transcribed Cat Stevens Guitar Tabs (fan project)

"Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history
was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now."Jol Dantzig, founder of Hamer Guitars

#23 User is offline   Eracer_Team 

• More Gear than Tallent

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:15 PM

I think it's the loose nut behind the guitar

#24 User is offline   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:28 PM

View Postsparquelito, on 17 September 2017 - 07:27 PM, said:

I read somewhere that Adolf Hitler suffered from a defective nut.

Just sayin....

[glare] :unsure: [unsure]

I think I heard somewhere that the other was found in the Royal Albert Hall..

:unsure: :D
"Im the one thats going to have to die when its time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I WANT TOO" Jimi Hendrix

#25 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Nanook Rubs It
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:40 AM

View PostLeonard McCoy, on 14 October 2017 - 02:12 AM, said:

I'd like a snapshot. I've never seen a broken nut in my entire life before. How does a nut break?!

You get kicked there. Seriously I have no clue how QA would not see a broken nut. Come on you knew it was coming. New someone is gonna joke on that.
1995 - Fender American Standard Jazz Bass with Rio Grande Pickups and a Warmoth Jazz Bass Neck
1997 - Fender American Standard Tele with Rio Grande Pickups
2000 - Gibson SG Special
2003 - Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat with Rio Grande Pickups and a Warmoth Strat Neck
2009 - Gibson BB King "Lucille" Signature Model
2009 - Kala KA-T Tenor Ukulele
2011 - Martin D-28

2014 - Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II with Lindy Fralin Pure PAF's
2014 - Martin D-18

Fender Deville 60 Watt Combo Guitar Amp

Fender Blues Jr. 15 Watt Como Guitar Amp with a Weber Speaker
Mesa Transatlantc TA-15 Head 5W/15W/25W Switchable
Egnater Tweaker 40 Watt Combo Guitar Amp (On Loan To My Son)

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Extension Cab with a Weber Speaker
Acoustic B100 Amp 100 Watt Bass Combo Amp
Orange CrushPiX CRL20 20 Watt Guitar Amp

#26 User is offline   Dom Mort 

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:38 AM

The OP's guitar probably didn't have a cracked nut. I see Gibsons all the time with a line on the nut that looks like a crack. Upon further inspection you will find it's simply a line where the builder applied tape to mask off areas so they wouldn't get lacquer on them, and this leaves a line. Not all Gibsons end up with the line, just the ones sprayed by whomever it is at Gibson that masks them up this way. My R8 has a line on both sides that you'd think was a crack until you looked at it under a magnifying glass. My R0 has a line on just one side. The OP's guitar was probably just fine the first time. New Gibsons take a bit of time to settle down and stay in stable tuning, and Standards often seem to have tight nut slots which could do with a bit of widening to keep the strings from binding. A few months of heavy use seems to settle this all out regardless.

#27 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMetro Detroit, MI

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:36 AM

Just purchased brand new LP Custom from GC, and no major issues whatsoever. Online purchase and everything... I am very happy with my purchase and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Of course, even for the money, it is going to take some time to break in, but I knew this from experience... people who buy expensive instruments need to understand this and stop expecting absolute, unconditional perfection, because it will never work out that way.
- Vintage Sunburst 1993 Nighthawk SP3
- Ebony 1994 Nighthawk SP3
- Fireburst 1995 Nighthawk CST3
- Fireburst 1996 Nighthawk CST3
- Translucent Amber 1996 Epiphone Nighthawk (MIK ST3 Replica)
- Fireburst 1997 Nighthawk ST3 w/ Floyd Rose
- Snow White 2006 Jackson Dinky DK2M (MIJ)
- Tri Burst 2015 Les Paul Custom

- Peavey 5150

#28 User is offline   ajay 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:33 PM

It's probably a Nitrocellulose crack, and not the nut itself. I've seen a lot of "cracked nut" posts, and 9 out of ten times the experts on the forum whittle the problem down to acrually be a Nitrocellulose crack. If You think about it, it would be pretty hard to crack one nut, and unbelievably difficult to have fo out of five nuts on a Gibson actually cracked. I think if You did some precise razor blade surgery You could eliminate those cracks in no time at all. Best wishes and good luck though.

#29 User is offline   waswell 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:12 AM

View PostNighthawkChris, on 16 October 2017 - 02:36 AM, said:

Just purchased brand new LP Custom from GC, and no major issues whatsoever. Online purchase and everything... I am very happy with my purchase and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Of course, even for the money, it is going to take some time to break in, but I knew this from experience... people who buy expensive instruments need to understand this and stop expecting absolute, unconditional perfection, because it will never work out that way.

I think it's sad how many people make excuses and exceptions for the poor quality control Gibson offers to it's customers. PRS makes exceptional guitars without all the problems Gibson is experiencing these days. PRS has a reputation of quality and pride - something that Gibson is seriously lacking. Why are we willing to overlook their issues so we can have the logo on our headstocks? I've seen PRS SE and Schecters coming out of World Music in Korea that blow some Gibson's away. Don't get me wrong, I own Gibson, but no customer should have to settle for any guitar that doesn't meet their satisfaction !!!! and we shouldn't shame them when they come to our forum for advise.

#30 User is offline   SteveT2 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationVA

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:17 PM

Both my SG and my LP had minor tuning issues when I got them. The high e would go sharp on the SG and the LP wouldn't stay in tune. Both were brand new when I got them. A bit irritating but a good setup on both cured them. A cracked nut would be in the same category to me. A bit irritating to be sure but I wouldnt replace the whole guitar over it if I really liked everything else about it

#31 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:07 AM

View Postwaswell, on 21 October 2017 - 09:12 AM, said:

I think it's sad how many people make excuses and exceptions for the poor quality control Gibson offers to it's customers. PRS makes exceptional guitars without all the problems Gibson is experiencing these days. PRS has a reputation of quality and pride - something that Gibson is seriously lacking. Why are we willing to overlook their issues so we can have the logo on our headstocks? I've seen PRS SE and Schecters coming out of World Music in Korea that blow some Gibson's away. Don't get me wrong, I own Gibson, but no customer should have to settle for any guitar that doesn't meet their satisfaction !!!! and we shouldn't shame them when they come to our forum for advise.

First of all, I don't see how taking time to break in an instrument that happens to cost thousands of dollars is making an excuse. I purchased a 2015 LPC and it rocks, bottom line - absolutely stunning instrument. Lube up the nut slots and hear her sing! Don't make an example out of me like I am shaming the OP or whoever because I am saying what needs to happen... I have made some expensive purchases, and the first signs of smoke don't get me to run back to return it whatever it may be. And how do we know for sure what the OP is complaining about since there is nothing but hearsay anyhow - with some novel to explain discontent of course... If you are like that, then don't buy a musical instrument is all I am saying.

- Peavey 5150

#32 User is offline   waswell 

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:48 AM

View PostNighthawkChris, on 23 October 2017 - 08:07 AM, said:

First of all, I don't see how taking time to break in an instrument that happens to cost thousands of dollars is making an excuse. I purchased a 2015 LPC and it rocks, bottom line - absolutely stunning instrument. Lube up the nut slots and hear her sing! Don't make an example out of me like I am shaming the OP or whoever because I am saying what needs to happen... I have made some expensive purchases, and the first signs of smoke don't get me to run back to return it whatever it may be. And how do we know for sure what the OP is complaining about since there is nothing but hearsay anyhow - with some novel to explain discontent of course... If you are like that, then don't buy a musical instrument is all I am saying.

All experience types come to this forum for advice. Just because me and you might not find a nut issue a big deal, to the OP it was, and thus he should be treated with the respect he is entitled to. The OP asked for our opinion on the issue he was experiencing not the discourse he received. All I'm saying is when you lay down hard cold cash for a Gibson, it needs to be right - period. Breaking an instrument in is not what this discussion is about. It's about getting the guitar up to the standard ALL GUITARS should be at when purchased.

#33 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:18 PM

View Postwaswell, on 23 October 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

All experience types come to this forum for advice. Just because me and you might not find a nut issue a big deal, to the OP it was, and thus he should be treated with the respect he is entitled to. The OP asked for our opinion on the issue he was experiencing not the discourse he received. All I'm saying is when you lay down hard cold cash for a Gibson, it needs to be right - period. Breaking an instrument in is not what this discussion is about. It's about getting the guitar up to the standard ALL GUITARS should be at when purchased.

Whatever man, I don't see any disrespectful comments coming out of me via postings in this thread... OP asked for advice, they got it. You are the one implying I am some sad individual because I apparently give Gibson a pass on QC issues and insinuate that I am shaming the OP as well. Take a look in the mirror bud, you are all about shame in this thread as of recent posts - directed at me apparently... You have thus far shamed me for not shaming Gibson QC as you have suggesting that PRS and Schecter blow away some Gibson guitars because quality and respect for the payer is in their (PRS, etc.) credo. You go as far as to specifically point me out via one of my quotes I take full credit for and am in no way going to recant what I wrote. I am right, guitars take a break in period, and again, no proof what the real issue is with the OP since there is 0% evidence what the real issue was.... For all I know, he said there were issues that were not really there...

So you are only trolling me at this point in time and have negativity to spread about Gibson being that you even mentioned the state of Gibson as a company briefly. So before you start talking about the discussion being about ALL GUITARS having QC YOU approve of and say it is not about breaking in a new guitar, seems more par for the course to suggest breaking in a new guitar instead of going to PRS's and Schecter's QC blows away Gibson's QC and suggesting the state of the company. All you are doing by going into Gibson's company details is feeding into the idea - again 0% evidence from OP - that this is a Gibson QC issue bottom line, case closed, and for all you know, the nut(s) had NO ISSUES... If the objective truth how to handle a new instrument bothers you and you want someone to "break in" your guitars that you spend thousands for since you expect perfection each and every time, then get a new job, because you're going to need a lot of money and time. Go back to your safe zone pal. Send in a message to Gibson first hand and see how far it gets you if you have issues with their QC.

- Peavey 5150

#34 User is offline   ajay 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:17 PM

They aren't always right with their Maple Grading Standard. Gibson calls this a Plaintop. Also, Joe Walsh has tried every guitar manufacturer, and the only company that he has found that delivered a perfect guitar is Carvin. Joe knows a LOT about guitars, so PRS and Schecter apparently don't deliver all of the goods either. These companies are in business to make money, not deliver a Stradivarius every time. They get them as close as possible using modern mass manufacturing methods, and handle the rest through warranty or returns. If Gibson was putting out crap guitars, they wouldn't be in the hands of at least HALF of the professional musicians all over the world. I hope the OP finds a Les Paul that thrills him, but in order to do that, he will almost always need a professional setup, and should probably have a bone nut cut and installed by a qualified luthier. It is part of the deal if You want Your guitar to kick butt. Good Luck OP!

Attached File(s)

#35 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern Pennsylvania

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:10 PM

View Postajay, on 27 November 2017 - 08:17 PM, said:

They aren't always right with their Maple Grading Standard. Gibson calls this a Plaintop.

Nice plain top!

#36 User is offline   Viktorija Arsic 

• LocationCanada

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:52 AM

View PostDrock4048, on 16 September 2017 - 09:36 PM, said:

Thx Twang. All I want is for my expensive guitar to be right. I've had a ton of inexpensive guitars without cracks in the finish or hardware and I don't feel like a new 2k guitar needs to be immediately repaired. The flame commission made me laugh. That was funny. But seriously, how many flames make it AAA and not a AAAA. Why are so many of you so angry when Ive had a bad experience? I want a Gibson and I don't have unreasonable expectations. I don't have to defend myself as a player. My experience is some people would rather talk about gear and collect "things" instead of playing. That's why I'm a new member. I can't ma ACT if you don't know what stay in tune means. You're not the help I'm seeking. There's no way I can convince you that I can tune or play on a message board. I've tried driving to several stores but no luck finding my model. Megafrog. I'm using the warranty by taking to the store and doing what they suggested. So far I've heard, take it back, get a brand new guitar repaired, and they I have unrealistic expectations of a $2500 guitar, and that I don't know what I'm talking about. Any other ideas?

It's really too bad you've had an awful experience buying your dream guitar. I just wanted to chime in and say firmly that:

• You're not being unrealistic in your expectations for a $2, 500 guitar. Just as a fun fact, I live in Canada so assuming that price is in US dollars, your guitar would cost literally almost twice as much up here in the great white North. So I'm probably even more particular about my guitars than you think you are!
  • Gibson QC has been consistently, intensely terrible since 2015, so your issues are not surprising at all. And not to turn this into a Gibson-bashing fest (I own a 2011 Studio myself) but since they spend so much time marketing their brand for historic quality and divine guitarist magic or whatever, it's pathetic that the expectations you rightly have were not met.

I appreciate you sharing your experience because not only is it informative, but it could help other players of all skill levels be cautious when purchasing specifically from Gibson. I know your experience has only reaffirmed my decision to not buy another Gibson guitar at all, ever again.

Happy playing!
life inspires me, love strengthens me

my guitars:

• 1966 Harmony by Heath H78 (three pickup)
  • 1999 Yamaha C 40
  • 2010 Fender Affinity "Starcaster" Strat
  • 2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio Satin
  • 2014 Breedlove Passport OM/Mme
  • 2017 Epiphone Inspired By 1964 Texan

my pedals:

• Outlaw Effects Six Shooter II Tuner
  • Outlaw Effects Boilermaker Clean Boost
  • TC Electronic Forcefield Compressor
  • BOSS DS-1 Distortion

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)