Gibson Brands Forums

My 1st Les Paul Purchase has been a NIGHTMARE!!! Help!!

Drock4048

It's probably a Nitrocellulose crack, and not the nut itself. I've seen a lot of "cracked nut" posts, and 9 out of ten times the experts on the forum whittle the problem down to acrually be a Nitrocellulose crack. If You think about it, it would be pretty hard to crack one nut, and unbelievably difficult to have fo out of five nuts on a Gibson actually cracked. I think if You did some precise razor blade surgery You could eliminate those cracks in no time at all. Best wishes and good luck though.

Just purchased brand new LP Custom from GC, and no major issues whatsoever. Online purchase and everything... I am very happy with my purchase and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Of course, even for the money, it is going to take some time to break in, but I knew this from experience... people who buy expensive instruments need to understand this and stop expecting absolute, unconditional perfection, because it will never work out that way.

I think it's sad how many people make excuses and exceptions for the poor quality control Gibson offers to it's customers. PRS makes exceptional guitars without all the problems Gibson is experiencing these days. PRS has a reputation of quality and pride - something that Gibson is seriously lacking. Why are we willing to overlook their issues so we can have the logo on our headstocks? I've seen PRS SE and Schecters coming out of World Music in Korea that blow some Gibson's away. Don't get me wrong, I own Gibson, but no customer should have to settle for any guitar that doesn't meet their satisfaction !!!! and we shouldn't shame them when they come to our forum for advise.

Both my SG and my LP had minor tuning issues when I got them. The high e would go sharp on the SG and the LP wouldn't stay in tune. Both were brand new when I got them. A bit irritating but a good setup on both cured them. A cracked nut would be in the same category to me. A bit irritating to be sure but I wouldnt replace the whole guitar over it if I really liked everything else about it

First of all, I don't see how taking time to break in an instrument that happens to cost thousands of dollars is making an excuse. I purchased a 2015 LPC and it rocks, bottom line - absolutely stunning instrument. Lube up the nut slots and hear her sing! Don't make an example out of me like I am shaming the OP or whoever because I am saying what needs to happen... I have made some expensive purchases, and the first signs of smoke don't get me to run back to return it whatever it may be. And how do we know for sure what the OP is complaining about since there is nothing but hearsay anyhow - with some novel to explain discontent of course... If you are like that, then don't buy a musical instrument is all I am saying.

All experience types come to this forum for advice. Just because me and you might not find a nut issue a big deal, to the OP it was, and thus he should be treated with the respect he is entitled to. The OP asked for our opinion on the issue he was experiencing not the discourse he received. All I'm saying is when you lay down hard cold cash for a Gibson, it needs to be right - period. Breaking an instrument in is not what this discussion is about. It's about getting the guitar up to the standard ALL GUITARS should be at when purchased.

• 1 month later...

They aren't always right with their Maple Grading Standard. Gibson calls this a Plaintop. Also, Joe Walsh has tried every guitar manufacturer, and the only company that he has found that delivered a perfect guitar is Carvin. Joe knows a LOT about guitars, so PRS and Schecter apparently don't deliver all of the goods either. These companies are in business to make money, not deliver a Stradivarius every time. They get them as close as possible using modern mass manufacturing methods, and handle the rest through warranty or returns. If Gibson was putting out crap guitars, they wouldn't be in the hands of at least HALF of the professional musicians all over the world. I hope the OP finds a Les Paul that thrills him, but in order to do that, he will almost always need a professional setup, and should probably have a bone nut cut and installed by a qualified luthier. It is part of the deal if You want Your guitar to kick butt. Good Luck OP!

Thx Twang. All I want is for my expensive guitar to be right. I've had a ton of inexpensive guitars without cracks in the finish or hardware and I don't feel like a new 2k guitar needs to be immediately repaired. The flame commission made me laugh. That was funny. But seriously, how many flames make it AAA and not a AAAA. Why are so many of you so angry when Ive had a bad experience? I want a Gibson and I don't have unreasonable expectations. I don't have to defend myself as a player. My experience is some people would rather talk about gear and collect "things" instead of playing. That's why I'm a new member. I can't ma ACT if you don't know what stay in tune means. You're not the help I'm seeking. There's no way I can convince you that I can tune or play on a message board. I've tried driving to several stores but no luck finding my model. Megafrog. I'm using the warranty by taking to the store and doing what they suggested. So far I've heard, take it back, get a brand new guitar repaired, and they I have unrealistic expectations of a $2500 guitar, and that I don't know what I'm talking about. Any other ideas?

It's really too bad you've had an awful experience buying your dream guitar. I just wanted to chime in and say firmly that:

• You're not being unrealistic in your expectations for a $2, 500 guitar. Just as a fun fact, I live in Canada so assuming that price is in US dollars, your guitar would cost literally almost twice as much up here in the great white North. So I'm probably even more particular about my guitars than you think you are!
  • Gibson QC has been consistently, intensely terrible since 2015, so your issues are not surprising at all. And not to turn this into a Gibson-bashing fest (I own a 2011 Studio myself) but since they spend so much time marketing their brand for historic quality and divine guitarist magic or whatever, it's pathetic that the expectations you rightly have were not met.

I appreciate you sharing your experience because not only is it informative, but it could help other players of all skill levels be cautious when purchasing specifically from Gibson. I know your experience has only reaffirmed my decision to not buy another Gibson guitar at all, ever again.

Happy playing!

Archived