Gibson Brands Forums

Test Track Instrumental of Pickup

BluesKing777

Not enough to leave well enough alone....I removed the Fishman Rare Earth Blend soundhole pickup from my Lowden O22 and thought I would try it in my Cargill custom.

Totally different! For one, the guitar is a small body, and two, the pickup is way, way lower from the strings than the Lowden. (so not as full and loud).

But I like it a lot, so here is a short instrumental I called "Attack Of the Birds" as I was attacked by a bird while riding my pushbike last Thursday! Whack, got my helmut! Wobbled a little on the bike in a bit of shock then headed for the hills as fast as I could.

This little tune should reflect that [biggrin]

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/o-i-c-777c-1

BluesKing777.

Not enough to leave well enough alone....I removed the Fishman Rare Earth Blend soundhole pickup from my Lowden O22 and thought I would try it in my Cargill custom.

Totally different! For one, the guitar is a small body, and two, the pickup is way, way lower from the strings than the Lowden. (so not as full and loud).

But I like it a lot, so here is a short instrumental I called "Attack Of the Birds" as I was attacked by a bird while riding my pushbike last Thursday! Whack, got my helmut! Wobbled a little on the bike in a bit of shock then headed for the hills as fast as I could.

This little tune should reflect that [biggrin]

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/o-i-c-777c-1

BluesKing777.

LOVE this, BK! What a wonderful tone that setup has. Is it all just REB or did you use a condenser for extra air? How much of the REB mic was in the mix? Sorry for all the questions! This sounds so much better than my standard Rare Earth Humbucker.

LOVE this, BK! What a wonderful tone that setup has. Is it all just REB or did you use a condenser for extra air? How much of the REB mic was in the mix? Sorry for all the questions! This sounds so much better than my standard Rare Earth Humbucker.

Thanks Jinder!

REB direct to mixer plus a tweak of reverb..... I don't mind the humbucker but I would rather use an undersaddle with Aura. But with the REB mic, I would go with it!

Removable! Usable on all my guitars! Sold. Bad news for live work is I started with mic blend on 100% which can be a touch 'hollow' - then added enough humbucker to get a 'fuller' sound, probably about 30%.......would probably scream like a pig facing a speaker. Most reviews have a 50% mix, a new one on Peghead Nation now.

I think the Fishman in black is easier on the eyes, disappearing in the soundhole a bit, compared to the Baggs ones stand out like, u know.

Big things to consider is distance from your particular guitar's strings to the soundhole - they all vary and a larger gap means quiter sound. I would love to hear a RE Blend on a J200, would be perfect....

BluesKing777.

Thanks for the info! I considered the REB but ended up going for the Aura and Matrix Infinity combo. I'm really happy with it, I have the Matrix in my SJ200, SJ100 and Hummingbird and it really works beautifully, especially with the Mahogany 100 and the 'Bird. I'll put one in my Texan and Dove soon, although the Dove is mainly a studio/writing guitar at the moment.

Love the playing, can't stand the tone of that pickup though. Metallic, typical magnetic sound hole pickup sound which I've never been a fan of. These pickups kind of make every acoustic guitar sound the same, be it a $300 guitar or a $3,000 guitar.

Thanks for the replies, Jinder and SB!

Of course, the very biggest plus of the Fishman Soundhole pickup with mic is that I can install/remove it to any of my guitars (with a soundhole - not so good with my Nationals [mellow] )

The pickup is a soundhole pickup with a mic on a little boom arm and in the recording I had about 70% mic in the mix and can barely hear the humbucker. The guitar has ebony back and sides, and I have tuned down very low - it can have a metallic sound without the pickup!

Next, I will put the pickup in a guitar (of mine) that has an undersaddle pickup and I will run a quick comparison of the guitar through the Aura box and the Fishman REB. The ideal guitar would be my Martin D18E Retro with inbuilt Aura, (best Aura I have heard) but I am a bit scared the boom mic of the REB might knock the Aura electronics when I install it in the soundhole.....so I may have to sacrifice the J45! (I haven't tried the REB in the J45 as I have been really happy with the pickup to the Aura box sound.....also uses a lot more guitar leads)

BluesKing777.

Thanks for the info! I considered the REB but ended up going for the Aura and Matrix Infinity combo. I'm really happy with it, I have the Matrix in my SJ200, SJ100 and Hummingbird and it really works beautifully, especially with the Mahogany 100 and the 'Bird. I'll put one in my Texan and Dove soon, although the Dove is mainly a studio/writing guitar at the moment.

Hey Jinder. I notice you have a 67 J45. I have a 65 j45,and just decided to install a pickup. I have a Lyric in my d-28 and am happy with the sound, but I'm really not too happy with dealing with batteries. I play through a lr Baggs "Venue" so not sure I really need an active pickup. I want something that sounds, of course, as natural as possible. There are so many choices out there. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Archived