Gibson Brands Forums

Some More Pickup Test Tracks

BluesKing777

So, to word this..err...will take longer than recording it. [confused] Hope I type it right....

I fingerpicked a couple of blues progressions 7 times with different pickups or configurations each time using my 2010 Gibson J45 Standard.

1 Fishman Rare Earth Blend soundhole pickup with 100% of the internal boom mic.

2 Fishman Rare Earth Blend soundhole pickup with 100% of the magnetic pickup.

3 Fishman Rare Earth Blend soundhole pickup with 50% each of the magnetic pickup and the attached mic.

4 Fishman Rare Earth Blend soundhole pickup with 30% of the magnetic pickup and 70% of the attached mic. (I usually just roll the blend control until I hear a bit of bottom end come in.)

Change pickups.....

5 Baggs Element undersaddle that came with the guitar.

6 Baggs Element undersaddle that came with the guitar run through my Fishman Aura Spectrum DI with 50% J45 Aura sound image.

And a free bonus track: [biggrin]

7 Irig Acoustic Stage with little pick shaped mic that attaches to the soundhole and a preamp with preset settings. I used 'warm' setting. This may not sound the best, but wow, it is easy to install! Just clip it

Here we go, then:

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/j45-pickups777

BluesKing777.

Yes, thanks Lars, I liked that one the best too.

It could be the 'impossible dream' to use loud and live - it IS a mic and all the mic things will happen, which is why they make the humbucker to use - they don't feed back as soon.

Oh, the recording was all done with eq flat. My friend would get his super eq preamp and carve it up into 3000 pieces and put it back together in a usable format. And you could do a simpler eq carve of each pickup track to improve and remove parts.

But either way, I am thinking the Fishman REB mic section works better with a bigger guitar like the J45 - I didn't like the boxy sound when I tried it on my L-0, probably because inside the L-0 would be 'boxy'!

BluesKing777.

Archived