Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES-335 Finish Haze - Fixes?

timmilesmusic

Hey everyone,

I love this forum so far and I have asked a few questions and had. nothing but great responses. So here is one more for the experts.

My 335 is only a few years old, it's 2015 and is a sunburst finish. It is covered in fine swirls. Similar to what you find on a car after it has been trough those automatic car washes one too many times. I have tried Gibson restorative finish polish, guitar scratch remover and virtuoso on it. These improved it slightly but it is still very bad. Seems the previous owner must have not taken great care of it. Aside from the swirls, there's no dents, chips or scratches though. Any suggestions on taking care of these swirl marks?

I should note in natural daylight they are no visible it seems to be artificial light that brings them out. Maybe I'll have to live with them! But any suggestions would be great :)

it may just require more elbow grease.. one of my pals does restoration and he will some time us an electric hand buffer, not sure how heavy duty it is.

I've used Scratch X (Meguires). sometimes it works like a charm sometimes, only marginally improves the condition. but it sounds as though you have probably used equivalent products with so-so results.

While I totally understand your concern, and wanting to make it "like new," or as close as possible,

I'd really just keep it clean, and PLAY the HELL out of it! Doesn't sound like it was (necessarily)

neglected, as much as just PLAYED, and wiped down afterward. That happens, especially, if the cloth

is not 100% cotton, or other material that will not scratch "Nitro" finishes.

When you first mentioned "hazing" I envisioned the "nitro haze" that occurs, when sweat gets into the

clear coat, and "fogs" it. That initial "fog" goes away, but often leaves a residual "haze." Which

often tends to remain, somewhat, even after polishing. But that's only around areas that your arm

rests on, generally.

Short of a professional deep cleaning, or "refinishing," there's not a lot you can do, that you haven't

already done, by your description. I really wouldn't stress out, over it. Just gives it more "character!"

CB

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my 2005 Ebony ES-335. I play it out quite often, I always wiped it down and used Gibson polish on it without much effect on the haze from my arm. Reading other posts, I picked up some Virtuoso Cleaner. It worked really well, about 95% of it gone.

I think having the Ebony finish, the haze shows up more. I also have a 70's 345 and a 60's 330, no haze at all and I played those quite often since I had them too. I really think the finish on the older guitars is much better than the newer ones. That could be why the newer guitars are more susceptible to sweat stains, etc.

A good silicone free polishing compound like Sratch X and a white cotton T-shirt. Polish in circular fashion with enough pressure. I've used a number of polishing car compounds and currently have used Turtle Wax's Premium Polishing Compound. It just requires lots of hand polishing. Or if you have a car buffer that works well with caution...just use quick very light pressure since it polishes quickly.

If hazing is tough to remove with the polish, another method I have used is Scotch Brite grey 7448 pads. Using light pressure can polish quickly, then use the compound for the glossy look.

On the other hand, I have also used 7448 pads to just break the shine on new nitro. msp_thumbup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived