Gibson Brands Forums

Removing Soundhole Label ??

duluthdan

My J-45 TV is getting well used for everything. Traveling, campfire play, hauled around everywhere. It is getting a nicely well worn look. It has the bright orange label inside of it that is now kind of appearing out of place. how can I safely remove it, without destroying it or the guitar?

I am also going to put the pick guard back on - either the original, or from some tigerstripe I just ordered. 3M adhesive sheets, I ordered 4, because I know I will screw it up at least twice. :rolleyes:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont understand why it "looks out of place"? My 1974 J-50 is beat to #$@! and still has the original orange label which has some nasty stains on it. Looks perfectly at home in there and I wouldn't dream of removing it. Maybe you just need to "distress" the label to make it look more at home? [biggrin]

I would moisten, not soak, an old fashioned pipe-cleaner with naphtha and stick it inside that little tunnel next to the back-seam -

then gently work from there.

I have removed the labels from my "vintage reissue" Gibsons, simply because I like the cleaner look without them. Naphtha on a piece of cotton rag, to gently dampen the label, works perfectly. Let it sit for about a minute, then slowly lift the label off. I save my labels in the case.

Lars

It's your guitar and you can do as you like but I don't understand how a label inside the soundhole is such a bad thing.Gibson labels are as much a part of the guitar as the name on the headstock IMHO.Just a thought. It's kind of like getting a tattoo-only in reverse.

Interezting topic, it really is.

One of those details that has to do with some deeper inexplicable sense of taste'n'feel.

I can see the brand new orange label in my pale and dark-red F-bird being slightly 'loud'. Fits the H-bird better, but wouldn't it be cooler without.

Absolutely prefer a white label in my J-45 Std. and wouldn't like an orange lasso-label inside my old CW.

Very personal thoughts/choices and I'm a bit in both camps.

Understand why people would want their inner backs clean, but also respect the guitars as they come.

Interezting topic, it really is. .

I think if the label INSIDE your guitar is annoying you then maybe you need a week off work or something

A little time to yourself , reflect on the world and think about things and what really matters

Can’t be seen when you’re playing , unless you face a mirror whilst playing ... is that what you do ?

Two weeks off work maybe

I think we're being a little harsh on Dan here. Perfectly legitimate for him to want to remove his label for a cleaner front-on visage.

Last night I saw Karen Elson opening for Ryan Adams...she was playing a refinished '60s Everly Bros J180 with a natural top, cherry stained back and sides and a modern "flubber" Hummingbird pickguard.

The entire guitar offended my visual senses...to me it looked ridiculous, a Doverly Brothingbird. But it was clearly the way she wanted it to be, and I'll be damned if it didn't sound great too. Removing a label is VERY small fry compared to what that guitar had been subjected to!

I think if the label INSIDE your guitar is annoying you, , ,

Honestly, I believe it can be compared to caring for the hue of the bindings, sun-burning out a vague removed guard tan-line, visual contact w. the full rosette or not, the head-stock decal or even, , , , , the semi-weird interest in smells.

It's all a part of gettin' the small personal corner of the world - our own little stamp-collection - right.

Diving into these themes is in fact taking a break in itself - an innocent therapy exercised between the lines.

The finer sphere of digging these guitars, playing them, the zooming in, the nerdiness, this Board. .

I highly doubt that removing the label will "destroy" the guitar as you put it, given the amount of use it's had, simply removing the label won't hurt anything, but if it were me I'd just leave it as is. Seems like you have a bit too much free time on your hands to be worrying about stuff like this!

Diving into these themes is in fact taking a break in itself - an innocent therapy exercised between the lines.

The finer sphere of digging these guitars, playing them, the zooming in, the nerdiness, this Board. .

Exactly, this board is all about time off from the pressures of life outside of guitars. For me at least, being nerdy about all things guitar, including labels, is part of relaxing. The guitars as objects, are almost as big a part of this hobby as the mostly sub-par music I manage to get out of them [biggrin]

Lars

I sorta like the no lable, neck block ink stamp and no headstock stamping on Gibsons that are supposed to be replicas or reissues. I guess the TV models do not fall into the Legend and RI categories.

The TV seems to be more of a, to borrow an Epiphone designation, Inspired By.

Archived