Gibson Brands Forums

Removing Soundhole Label ??

duluthdan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We used to remove postage stamps from envelopes by holding it over a steaming kettle.!!! I'll get my coat!!!

That's true, Mick; that just might do the job without chemicals. Maybe just a steamed towel just a bit on the label. However, we don't want to risk steaming off the glue holding the back strip. It also doesn't take much to stain the bare wood (!)

Why do you have a favorite color? What's wrong with the other ones?

I don't see how that relates to my post that you quoted. I asked why he felt the label looked out of place. That implies a relationship between two objects: the label and the guitar. It's not a question of a "favorite color", it's a question about whether two things are in harmony with each other.

But whatever, it's his guitar and of course he has every right to do whatever he pleases with it.

If I was to actually start wearing down a guitar and naturally making it look road worn, I could see removing a bright new looking label and storing it away. Just my preference. I’d probably get a replacement label and make it look faded and stained.

Looks as if some have trouble understanding why one would wanna remove the label. Taste and style are individual themes.

But Mister Threadhost himself actually gives the reason in post #1.

The guitar is gettin' mojoed and the protected paper inside the box begins to fall out of balance.

Fair enough (said the member who removed a flora-fauna pick-guard last fall). msp_wink.gif

I personally enjoyed showing someone the inside label of one of my Gibsons when he asked what model and year guitar I was playing during a break at a gig last Sunday. And, I know when people ask me when I play my faded cherry sunburst 2006 Gibson J-45 CS 1964 Reissue if it's an original one from the 60s, I enjoy showing them the Custom Shop logo on the back of the headstock to be up front with them when I tell them that it's a reissue of a 1964 one, and not the original item. So I can't really first hand understand why anyone would want to take a label off.

On the other hand, I was in a sketchy used item store the other day and was appalled when I saw a Gibson Songwriter label glued on the inside of a guitar that clearly was not a Gibson Songwriter that also had a sprayed over black headstock not shaped like a Gibson's with a Gibson decal on it (placed way too high on the headstock to boot)...selling for $500 with a sales ticket on that in small typed print said "Gibson Copy". As if that was truth in labeling.

Now y'a know why I can't see any reason to remove an inside label.

Just my 2 cents.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I think if the label INSIDE your guitar is annoying you then maybe you need a week off work or something

A little time to yourself , reflect on the world and think about things and what really matters

Can't be seen when you're playing , unless you face a mirror whilst playing ... is that what you do ?

Two weeks off work maybe

It is not your business to be concerned about why he doesn't want the label. I personally love the orange labels, only one of my 4 new Gibsons has a white label..

I personally love the orange labels, only one of my 4 new Gibsons has a white label..

While drama unfolds by the European voting-jars, it's nice to be able to take a break.

Here's my home-modified CW lasso-label - No, they never came like that.

~ L8DEnxC.jpg

This topic is interesting for an insight into what makes us all see the world in different ways.Some of the comments were not what I might have expected but-that's life.I said my piece which goes something like; it's not as if a label in a sound hole is akin to Minnie Pearl and her ubiquitous price tags.Cheers.

Murphy aged acoustic labels = $500. I just don't understand the trend. I want all my sh-it to look as new as possible.

Don't play it, stick it in a glass case and just look at it. It's like buying a really nice hammer or chainsaw and just admiring it and never using it. All depends on why you own guitars; collector, player, etc. Neither is right or wrong, just sayin'. But if you're a player you're guitars are going to get bumps and bruises from use.

This topic is interesting for an insight into what makes us all see the world in different ways.Some of the comments were not what I might have expected but-that's life.I said my piece which goes something like; it's not as if a label in a sound hole is akin to Minnie Pearl and her ubiquitous price tags.Cheers.

Yes, some members feel the need to belittle others opinions and pretty much just be a smart a$$. I think I have most of them blocked and it makes life on the forum much more pleasant.

While drama unfolds by the European voting-jars, it's nice to be able to take a break.

Here's my home-modified CW lasso-label - No, they never came like that.

~ L8DEnxC.jpg

Well, they were close, but how much more trouble would it have been to complete the package, by seeing to it that the CW reissue sported a proper lasso label:

ebJDE0Q.png

While on the subject of labels, some other faves:

ynQojZ2.png

The lyre mandolin label- Gibson's roots were about seeking innovations from the start. Ok, the lyre mando didn't really take off, and it's probably a good thing. Roger Siminoff tried recreating one in the seventies. . . well, it was worth a shot: http://siminoff.net/gibson-lyre-label/

Here's a beauty (anyone's guess as to Orville's middle name- ) "104 E. Main St., Kalamazoo"

4zcJBPX.png

Well, they were close, but how much more trouble would it have been to complete the package, by seeing to it that the CW reissue sported a proper lasso label:

Two very beautiful old labels there. Regarding the lasso, Bozeman took a shot in connection with the Sheryl Crow.

They got the rope right, , , , eeehh, but it caught some strange new things. .

https://i.ytimg.com/...xresdefault.jpg

Dan has been around on the forum and , gentleman that he is , will know that my comment was flippant and merely boys ribbing each other

If he wants to paint the inside of his guitar luminous yellow I’ll hold the paint tin. I’ve nothing but respect for the man regardless of what he does.

I’ll be more serious from now on and perhaps some knickers will come untwisted

If it’s none of my business what he does then why post the thought publicly on a forum ? Hmm ?

Someone should go and research the sonic effects of having the label , perhaps there’s a noticeable difference between the orange and white ones ?

Thatd be super interesting to hear

Yeah. Knotted Knickers Not Nice. Usually the result of putting them on incorrectly, and not tongue-in-cheek responses to Internet Questions and Comments.

I considered asking here if the dotted "i" on the headstock added unnecessary weight and expense, but realized some folks might think I wasn't serious and submit flippant responses.

For non-Gibson specific questions, which some might read as whimsical, like "How can I accessorize my guitar case?" or, should I wind my speaker.amp wire clockwise or counter-clockwise, probably the AGF is a better choice.

Archived