Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone PR-200 EB

Steverz

I have already checked the "ID Instrument" page for this serial number, but it does not exist.

The Serial Numbers start with the letter "B" and work through the alphabet and some start with two letters or numbers. But, none start with the letter "A". I have attached a photo from inside the guitar.

Make: Epihpone (acoustic)

Model: PR-200 EB

Serial Number: A6080372

Repeat: The issue is that none of the serial number designations start with the letter "A". They start with "B" or another letter or number, but nowhere is there an "A" to start the serial number.

I have written Epiphone twice withOUT a reply. So I hope someone here can give me some insight. Thanks.

post-5082-081343900 1505847499_thumb.jpg

In Epiphone, The Complete History by Walter Carter it says that on Korean made Epiphones from 1993 onward, the serial number means.

1st letter=manufacturer code

The number following the initial letter is the year it was made such as a 4 or 94 = 1994

The next two digits=the month, such as 06 =June

The next four digits=the instrument ranking, such as 1234

The book I have stops in 1995 and it shows PR200's being made then, so they probably were also made in 1996.

Based on this coding...

A=some kind of manufacturing code

6=1996

08=August

and the remaining four digits is the instrument ranking (the number in the production)

This is all a guesstimate that your guitar falls into this methodology. Due to lack of any other, this seems to be a pretty good guess as PR200s per the book seem to be from the mentioned era.

Good speculation if nothing else.

Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Ps. I believe there is a later edition of the Walter Carter book. Perhaps someone has an updated one past 1995 with more info.

Jeff: Thanks for the effort. You might be right. But, it's that "A" at the beginning of the serial number that is the problem. Almost every letter of the alphabet from "B" to "Z" plus double-letters is/was used, but no "A". Here is what I found for Epiphone, and as you will see, the letter "A" for a/the factory code does not appear (same thing from the Carter book I found online, no "A"):

FACTORY LETTER CODES

For Epiphone serial numbers that begin with a letter(s), this list identifies the factory & country where produced:

B - Bohêmia Musico-Delicia (Czech Republic)

BW - ____?____ (China)

CI - Cort (Indonesia)

DW - DaeWon (China)

EA - QingDao (China) = Epiphone Acoustic

ED - Dongbei (China) = Chinese Dongbei means North-east.

EE - QingDao (China) = Epiphone Electric

F - Fuji-gen (Japan) = Elite/Elitist models (See: Epiphone Japan Serial Numbers)

F - Qingdao (China) = Les Paul Standard '59 / '60 / Tribute Models (See: F-Serial used on LP Std'59/'60 models and Tribute/Plus models)

F/FN - Fine Guitars (Korea) = non-Japanese models

FC - ____?____ (China 2000's) Possibly "Global Fine Supply Ltd."

FC - Fuji-Gen (Japan 1990's)

H - _______ (China?) Found on a 1995 El Nino

G/GG - Identified as early modern Masterbilt acoustics (Epiphone says they have no record of G serials)

GR - Grand Reward (Farida, Guang Dong) China, Seen on some early Masterbilt acoustics

GP - ____?____ (Korea) found on a BB King Lucille from 2001 (verified by Epiphone Customer Service)

I - Saein (Korea)

J - Terada Gakki Seisakusyo (Japan)

J - Unknown. Possibly Jakarta, Indonesia - Found on a 1997 S-310

JK - ??? Korea or Indonesia - Found on a 1999 G-310 Junior

K - Korea Ins. (Korea)

L - Leader Musical Instrument Co Ltd (Korea)

MC - Muse (China)

MR - Mirr factory, China

N - See: FN

O - Choice (Korea)

P/R - Peerless (Korea)

QG - Qingdao Gibson (China) - Interim designation used prior to "EA" & "EE"

S - Samick (Korea)

SI - Samick (Bogor, Indonesia)

SJ - SaeJun (China)

SK - ???

SM - Samil (Korea)

SN - ____?____ (Indonesia)

T - Terada Gakki Seisakusyo (Japan)

U - Unsung (Korea)

UC - Unsung China (China)

WF - ____?____ (China) found on an Accu Bass Junior from 2001

X - ____ (China) - Early to mid 1990's serial number label - Verified by Epiphone Customer Service. Seen on "Epi" brand guitars.

Y - Korea (seen on a PR775CE)

Z - Zaozhuang Saehan (China)

In Epiphone, The Complete History by Walter Carter it says that on Korean made Epiphones from 1993 onward, the serial number means.

1st letter=manufacturer code

The number following the initial letter is the year it was made such as a 4 or 94 = 1994

The next two digits=the month, such as 06 =June

The next four digits=the instrument ranking, such as 1234

The book I have stops in 1995 and it shows PR200's being made then, so they probably were also made in 1996.

Based on this coding...

A=some kind of manufacturing code

6=1996

08=August

and the remaining four digits is the instrument ranking (the number in the production)

This is all a guesstimate that your guitar falls into this methodology. Due to lack of any other, this seems to be a pretty good guess as PR200s per the book seem to be from the mentioned era.

Good speculation if nothing else.

Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Ps. I believe there is a later edition of the Walter Carter book. Perhaps someone has an updated one past 1995 with more info.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, a reply from Gibson/Epiphone. Here is what they said about this unusual serial number: A6080372.

They said for this particular model (PR-200-EB) the Serial Number was "non-conventional". The "A" stands for "Acoustic guitar". The first number "6" means the guitar was made in 1996. The rest of the numbers "080372" was the batch number. They said they sold many of these guitars worldwide and the PR-200-EB was an "entry level guitar". Mystery Solved .... .

I think we can assume it's Korean-made. Not too sure if we knew the specific factory, we'd really know much more regardless. Interesting search, though. The main thing is enjoy the guitar!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived