Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Tribute 2017 vs 2018

generic

I'm about to order Les Paul Tribute and I'm wondering (since it's going to be my first Gibson) if it's worth getting 2018?

Soundwise - 2018 has no weight relief, does that make any difference in the sound/sustain? Gibson says weight relief adds to sustain.

What's your opinion on that?

Go play one first before you commit to it.

Sure, if I will have that possibility :-) I do believe that I'll have to ask my shop to get me the one I want and just play it before I buy, there might be no option to test both at the same time though.

IMHO there are other more crucial factors to sustain like type of pickups, string action, stop piece adjustment...

Pickups are the same, string action, stop piece, bridge etc. can be adjusted, so that is not a problem. I can even replace the bridge. I'm just asking about things that I can't change once guitar is bought :-)

In theory, the non weight relief should sustain more and have a bit more bass to it. The guitar comes with a soft case versus a chintzy gig bag but it costs more. I own a 2017 model and like it a lot. I would just go with the better deal. The 2017 model.

In theory, the non weight relief should sustain more and have a bit more bass to it. The guitar comes with a soft case versus a chintzy gig bag but it costs more. I own a 2017 model and like it a lot. I would just go with the better deal. The 2017 model.

I'm asking, because I'm sending my 2017 Tribute back tomorrow - it had broken neck and now I'm thinking if I should go for the same or take 2018 ;-) Dilemma :D

1505957295[/url]' post='1882472']

I agree. Save $100.

What do you guys think of the 2018 Tribute with 490r/498t? Too hot?

My '81 V has Dirty Fingers and it's pretty hot and has a massive tone and it's one of the hottest Gibson pickups. Great thing about it is that I can back the volume way off to 2 or 3 to get a clean-ish tone, bring it up a couple notches to a nice crunch or take it all the way up for screaming sound. My 2007 V has the 490T and R pickups and they're pretty hot as well but sound great backed off just a bit. I love the Burstbucker Pro's in my LP Standard though. Great pickups, good output and tone. I'll back them off the volume just a little, turn the tone down just a little because they're pretty bright

Gibson 490R and 498T is the best HBs combo IMHO. You can play Blues, Funk, Metal, they sound awesome [thumbup]

I think I'll probably like them as well. However, my idea of a Les Paul tone is Slash, and he plays Alnico II pickups.

It's academic at this point, but a re-fret of my Epi LP is half the retail price of the 2018 Tribute. On the other hand, I'm super happy with the ProBuckers on the Epiphone.

I’m also looking to buy a new Gibson Tribute Goldtop. I noticed that on Sweetwaters website that both ‘17 ( with 9 hole weight relief ) and the ‘18 Tributes ( without ) weigh about the same

8lbs - 8lbs 10 oz. I thought the weight relief would shave off a more noticeable amount of wood that the two year models would be different. I know all body’s are different and can have different density’s but if it’s this close why bother? I’m leaning toward the solid body 2018, prefer the pickup combo.

I’m also looking to buy a new Gibson Tribute Goldtop. I noticed that on Sweetwaters website that both ‘17 ( with 9 hole weight relief ) and the ‘18 Tributes ( without ) weigh about the same

8lbs - 8lbs 10 oz. I thought the weight relief would shave off a more noticeable amount of wood that the two year models would be different. I know all body’s are different and can have different density’s but if it’s this close why bother? I’m leaning toward the solid body 2018, prefer the pickup combo.

My 2017 Tribute has classic weight relief with the P90 pickups. The sound and sustain is really good at 8lbs 15oz. I haven't tried the 2018's yet.

Archived