Gibson Brands Forums

Everlybird or Hummingbrother?

JuanCarlosVejar

Folks,

For anyone who is wondering about Karen Elson's modified Everly bros guitar here is a picture:

IMG_6169_zpso81f1xqq.png

Here's another (the person playing it isn't Karen) :

IMG_6163_zpsla66qntr.jpg

One point where I maybe disagree with Jinder is about the refinish (a few of the EB'a came with natural tops an cherry b/s lback in the 60's)

Personally I love those vintage EVerly models and also love the hummingbird ... So in my eyes this is beautiful.

JC

At first glance OK with me, actually pretty nice. Did Jinder notice/mention the adjustable ceramic or tusq saddle.

But thinking twice I believe she should have ordered a custom guard.

The folklore/pop-art works fine there, but is loaded with so much more than just the flora-fauna.

Yet I wouldn't be the one to tell her, , , unless of course she reads this minor card.

Can we hear it ?

At first glance OK with me, actually pretty nice. Did Jinder notice/mention the adjustable ceramic or tusq saddle.

I like the look of the guitar, but that's a pretty funky bridge.

(I look the look of the girl, too, whoever she is.)

Folks,

For anyone who is wondering about Karen Elson's modified Everly bros guitar here is a picture:

IMG_6169_zpso81f1xqq.png

Here's another (the person playing it isn't Karen) :

IMG_6163_zpsla66qntr.jpg

One point where I maybe disagree with Jinder is about the refinish (a few of the EB'a came with natural tops an cherry b/s lback in the 60's)

Personally I love those vintage EVerly models and also love the hummingbird ... So in my eyes this is beautiful.

JC

Is that David Bowie?

While I do not have a clue who Karen Elson is, I do have a friend who owns (or owned as I have not seen him in years), if I recall, a 1963 Gibson Everly Brothers with a natural top and cherry stained body and only one Everly Bros. style pickguard.

You know, it's a good thing there are so many styles of guitars to choose from. What doesn't push one person's buttons will quite possibly be the ultimate axe for someone else.

Although the Everly model sports my all-time favorite J-185 size & shape, the pinless bridge, star inlays, giant pickguards, and prevalent black finish, are personally all major turn-offs. Add to that, the fact that the few '60s Everly examples I've played were not very memorable, and you've got a guitar that does little for me - but will probably represent the gold standard in another person's hands.

Conversely, the standard J-185 appointments in a natural finish, apart from the iron cross bridge inlays, are absolute acoustic guitar perfection in my book (and luckily, my 2012 J-185 does not have the iron crosses!). Opening the case is exciting every time, and that's what makes this stuff so much fun.

You know, it's a good thing there are so many styles of guitars to choose from. What doesn't push one person's buttons will quite possibly be the ultimate axe for someone else.

Although the Everly model sports my all-time favorite J-185 size & shape, the pinless bridge, star inlays, giant pickguards, and prevalent black finish, are personally all major turn-offs. Add to that, the fact that the few '60s Everly examples I've played were not very memorable, and you've got a guitar that does little for me - but will probably represent the gold standard in another person's hands.

Conversely, the standard J-185 appointments in a natural finish, apart from the iron cross bridge inlays, are absolute acoustic guitar perfection in my book (and luckily, my 2012 J-185 does not have the iron crosses!). Opening the case is exciting every time, and that's what makes this stuff so much fun.

Spot on .

One man's trash is another's treasure .

Personally I like both the Everly and J 185 features.

JC

Archived