Gibson Brands Forums

Bee Three git show in town

AnneS

Show is in Asheville this weekend, my stomping grounds. Anybody else headed this way?

Me, I'm gonna go touch some stuff...

If I am tantalized, I'll send out an APB and a flare. Otherwise, I'll report back later with an overview.

Isit still put on by gary burnette?

Yes, it's Gary's show (that ol' horse trader, that he is [tongue] ) He does know how to pick 'em, and he wasn't foolin' when the card on the soon-to-come-home-with-me '49 LG-2 declared it to be a real sounder. . . 'played many LG-2's, Banner & more modern ones that day at the Philadelphia show; it was the dry, opened up sound that made the '36 L-00 look like a one-trick pony.

Anne- sorry you weren't closer for the Fall Philly show in Nov; maybe we coulda talked a few forum regulars in the region to make the trip for some pickin'. In lieu of that, I'm still on an extended search for a non-hyper red Hummingbird maple- if you could keep your eye out, that would be great. Thx.

The king of prussia show is a good one been there a few time with a table. Last time gruhn was beside us jim dance was accross from us. Chinery was buying from myself and greg. I went 100.000 in the hole in less than a day buying up martins and gibsons. It was a blast

Yes, it's Gary's show (that ol' horse trader, that he is [tongue] ) He does know how to pick 'em, and he wasn't foolin' when the card on the soon-to-come-home-with-me '49 LG-2 declared it to be a real sounder. . . 'played many LG-2's, Banner & more modern ones that day at the Philadelphia show; it was the dry, opened up sound that made the '36 L-00 look like a one-trick pony.

Anne- sorry you weren't closer for the Fall Philly show in Nov; maybe we coulda talked a few forum regulars in the region to make the trip for some pickin'. In lieu of that, I'm still on an extended search for a non-hyper red Hummingbird maple- if you could keep your eye out, that would be great. Thx.

"non-hyper red Hummingbird maple" it is.

Any particular year(s) you know of?

One of my goals this weekend will be to play some 'birds. Not a huge square fan, and (sorry if I disappoint) not a fan of the guards, but...for the cost of my time, I close my eyes and let my ears dominate the browsing session.

The king of prussia show is a good one been there a few time with a table. Last time gruhn was beside us jim dance was accross from us. Chinery was buying from myself and greg. I went 100.000 in the hole in less than a day buying up martins and gibsons. It was a blast

That's a deep soundhole, if I read your decimal point as a comma.

It is good fun- great people watching- the aged rock boomers looking at the electrics; I'm sure there's a song there, somewhere. At the Philly show last July, David Bromberg was trolling the sea of guitars with a youngster, and small talking guitar minutia from booth to booth with the same search pattern through the room with us. Paul Reed Smith was there, making the rounds, just chatting guitars- it was fun.

"non-hyper red Hummingbird maple" it is.

Any particular year(s) you know of?

One of my goals this weekend will be to play some 'birds. Not a huge square fan, and (sorry if I disappoint) not a fan of the guards, but...for the cost of my time, I close my eyes and let my ears dominate the browsing session.

"Later on, when the crowd thins out (~)" is a good time to give a listen, sans electric Hendrix riffsters. And most are willing to let you take a prospect to a quiet area, as well.

2007 there was a run of Quilts made for GC; a likely candidate. Suppose something blasphemous could be done to a contemporary red 'Bird to de-escalate the redness if a stellar one turned up. And don't be scared by the folk artsy pickguard; it took a long time and many guitars for me to come 'round to the Hummingbirds; the sound of a big box guitar, with the honesty of mahogany mixed in with the sweetness of it's short scale. Have fun.

dc7BuZf.png

ekHRr3x.png

You ever watch the vultures as the guitars and cases start making there way in.

A fairly common greeting heard at the shows: "What's in the case?". It's not advertised much, but there is $1 off of admission if you bring in something to sell. A win/win: you get a little off of the admission cost, and with people carrying around cases, it looks like things are hopping in guitar sales. For all of those guitars, it's always interesting to take note of how few cash transactions you actually see taking place- I usually see no more than 1 or 2. (although there is much dealer to dealer trades/sales going on the night before)

Pulling the trigger on a '36-'37 Kalamazoo "senior" that's been x-braced by David Shepherd. Hits a sweet spot for me...

That's a very cool guitar. . . can't wait to see the pics, and to hear . . . I guesss now you're going to be doing some of the material normally done by Mr. Blues King- but you're gonna need a new blues gal handle ; ).

Also cool that D. Sheppard is already done with the x-brace conversion. . .

Archived