Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on Les Paul S.M

TBThompson

Hello! I'm new to the forum and wanted to see if anyone had input.

I'm looking at buying my first electric (historically intermittently play acoustic) and will be meeting someone to look at a 1980 Les Paul S.M. this weekend. For an electric I'm not sure what to look for with the bridge or when I take the panel off the back. Do you have any suggestions?

It's in excellent original condition with a little wear on the 1st fret board. Does fret board wear impact the playability of an electric? If so how substantial and is it costly to repair? I'm really set on buying a great condition vintage Gibson for my electric player and was previously looking at an ES until I found this. ThanKS in advance for the advice!!

If the price is good and it all works, you should BUY THIS GUITAR IMMEDIATELY.

Bridge looks good. TP-6 tailpiece. Can't remember, but even the brass nut may be original.

I'm not the expert, hope they will chime in on this but it's the weekend.

No the fret wear is nothing serious at all unless it stops the string ringing; I would only observe that someone played a lot of C or A minor chords.

These model LPs don't come up too often. Looks like a fine piece to me.

S.M. = Solid Mahogany. No weight relief. Get it.

I'd like it. I have a solid mahogany LP Custom.

[thumbup]

I don't want to poop on a parade, but I'm going to poop all over this one.

HOW MUCH?

If you don't say that nobody can help you.

This guitar has been around the sales block quite a few times.

The TP6 is not original.

I see an early Studio with dots and bound neck, not an SM.

I don't know about that odd tummy cut on the back, it might have been and it may not have, I just don't remember it.

Be careful, and above all, HOW MUCH? I know where you can buy that guitar right now, Sunburst 1982 Studio, all original, great shape, dots and bound neck, under 1200.

rct

I didn't think early Studios had bound bodies, but.....

Original or not the TP-6 is a nice touch IMO. You should be able to tell if it's solid mahogany when you take off the backplate.

I know I've read about these guitars before somewhere but can't trace it now. Not that many made, they had the dot neck and perhaps even a brass nut.....

If the price is good, it still looks ok to me. But 'great condition vintage Gibsons' are a high price these days, and if you want one that is absolutely certifiable you will need more $$$ and to buy from a reputable vintage dealer.

Thanks for the input. He is asking 1800 for it, but is willing to negotiate. I've see two on Reverb and they are asking over 2k for them. Attached is a screen shot of some info I found on another forum re:the original specs of the 1980 S.M. This guitar has S.M. on the neck plate. In regard to the laundry, these are pics the dude took. He doesn't play and inherited this from his father. Dude might not be tidy but it looks like his dad took pretty good care of this guitar

post-87925-092449100 1506123035_thumb.png

Thanks for the input. He is asking 1800 for it, but is willing to negotiate. I've see two on Reverb and they are asking over 2k for them. Attached is a screen shot of some info I found on another forum re:the original specs of the 1980 S.M. This guitar has S.M. on the neck plate. In regard to the laundry, these are pics the dude took. He doesn't play and inherited this from his father. Dude might not be tidy but it looks like his dad took pretty good care of this guitar

I havent seen the pics or read the sales add, but 1800 is in the ball park for these guitars, and they dont come up too often for sale. The TP-6 bridge and the tummy cut is original on this model.

Guest Farnsbarns

Well, 1800 sounds astronomical to me. And please don't be fooled, an 80s Gibson is second hand, not vintage. The fact they aren't made any more has some impact because if you've gotta have one it's gonna be an old one but it isn't a vintage guitar it's a used, second hand, part worn, pre loved, whatever else you want to call it, guitar.

Regardless of how good the bridge might be asking a premium because something is old and out of production makes no sense when it's not original. I don't think the nut is original either.

I don't see any pics?

I think he is quoting in dollars. I'd expect to pay £1344 or thereabouts for it as they are quite rare in fact. And the brass nut (surprisingly) probably is original - see screen shot of the info the OP posted....anyway he'll have bought it or not by now... :-k

Archived