Gibson Brands Forums

"A Mess Of Blues"

BluesKing777

Thanks KC!

Yes, I am all around very pleased - guitar AND gadgets.

The attached mic is the main part of the pickup that I am using, basically installing a mic in the soundhole of any of my guitars that take my fancy that particular day. The little bit of mag pickup in the mix gives it a touch of 'fullness' - the mic can sound a bit 'hollow' on its own. I don't like leaving it in the guitar as the lead hanging out of the soundhole is a nuisance and the pickup is also in the way of using my Humidipak system in the soundhole......but it is fine to leave that in the headstock end of the case for a couple of days....

So I wouldn't permanently install the pickup because of those reasons but I am pleased the sound and the 'portability' of it.

I imagine I would use the Baggs Anthem in a similar way - mostly bias the mic section except if volume is required. A friend has the Anthem, loves the mic part but not the undersaddle part, but can't say enough about how 'useful' it is live. I guess I would prefer the Anthem in a permanent situation to my Fishman REB above, but you know..horses for courses.

BluesKing777.

Thanks George!

I was just playing the same setup again, can't put it down, but added a smidgeon more mag pickup to the sound blend and Voila! Jazz, Latin style leads - very nice, tunes and vocal lines from the same book I have 'Mess Of Blues' in.... great for Charley Christian type of things! (Of which I know - none).

BluesKing777.

Thanks FB!

The slur teardrop thingy is my version of Gary Davis ideas, except he does bass strings usually.

And I thought you would be going for the Sydney footy team, not Richmond? Hmm, not my team but you could easily guess which team I first noticed when I moved here all those years ago. (I was actually on my way to Sydney but my car broke down fairly permanently right at the border! True!

BluesKing777.

Thanks Mafy!

Well, I woke this morning and the weather is totally different so I am nervous about not having my Humidipak in the soundhole, so I am taking the pickup out in a minute.....

I mean this Lowden S35 is just such a special guitar that there is a temptation to put it in wraps - replacement new cost would be about the same as a new car or 2, so I don't know what I was thinking fiddling around with pickups going in an out the soundhole and screwdrivers and leads sticking out! [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Now, in relation to the last post, here is a little addendum that could come under the "There Is Always Something, Isn't There?" Rule.

So as I said before, I headed off to remove the Fishman pickup, which I did. And put the Humidipak back in the soundhole.

Now I read somewhere where a Lowden O25 owner had just dowloaded an O25 image from the Fishman Aura gallery for his Aura box. No, can't be, I thought, as I assumed there would be no Lowden images in there as they are mostly Martin, Gibson, Taylor and a few others.....so in a mildish panic, I tried to remember which of 5 pc's in the house I had loaded the Fishman Aura gallery and would it still be there....no, not the 1st one, not the 2nd, aha the 3rd in the Better Half's login...ha ha, sorry but the downloaed thing has been eventful in the past for various reasons as you can't see the online gallery without having the App and your Aura box plugged in. PITA, really, just publish an online list will ya?

So 3 Lowden images were there for downloading, unfortunately no O22, no S35, no LSE1 but a O25 (rosewood/cedar), S25.. same wood and another one I had never heard of with Sitka top. OK, I will give it a try.

So all done, headed to music room, replugged all in and grabbed the S35 and set the S25 image up. Very nice except for a 'boinnggggg' noise on the 2nd string. Adjusted everything twice but still a 'boinnngggg'.

So grabbed the LSE1 Lowden and tried the Sitka and all good except the same thing....2nd string doinnggg....

Grabbed the J45, set up related image, all fine, thanks, phew.

So I listened harder to the undersaddle pickup only direct to mixer, and I think both have a slight kaboinggg and the Aura is highlighting it.

(Both pickups were in the guitars and I have no idea who, what, where.)

Rats!

Like I said, there is always something. They would have been way easier than installing the soundhole, but.......

BluesKing777.

Archived