Gibson Brands Forums

What Do You Think Of These?

BluesKing777

Wonder about nitro finish compatibility?

I don't really like the way it is fixed to the body. For such a high price i expected better, and for sound, hard to judge on youtube.

I wonder that too, could always put a piece of nitro safe tape on the pads. I imagine the company have already tested and I assume it is safe, but who knows.They say it is safe.

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/microphones/dvote/4099g-instrument-microphone-for-guitar

I was reading (written) user reviews of the thingo and one guy brought up an interesting point - he said, if you sing it will pick it up and it will pick up everything. I have had that with another gadget and it isn't a good 'picking up your singing' - it sounds like you are in a hollow log somewhere over that way....

The little internal boom mic on my Fishman Rare earth Blend pickup is pretty good - doesn't get much of a vocal, same with my iRig Acoustic Stage gadget, though both these would be nowhere the sound quality of any DPA top of the line products.

For an example of a possibly imaginary problem, I would have the DPA on my guitar and then to sing I have a choice of my Shure SM58/57, my Neumann KM184 or a Rode NT1A or Rode K2.....all very different and maybe not that compatible with the DPA sound. And the next thing, I would be saving up for a DPA vocal mic, if they make them, I assume they do....

BluesKing777.

The DPAs are fine if you're on a silent stage with in ear monitors and can avoid bleed between the guitar and vocal, but introduce foldback and a band or accompanists and it becomes a muddy, feedback prone nightmare without pro monitor and FOH engineers.

These are, though, a great solution for hard to amplify instruments like resonators when you don't want to be mic-bound. I'd rather blend a 57 with a mag pickup for a gig with a reso. I use a Krivo Resobucker with my '30s fiddle edge Dobro which works beautifully with a 57 in for a little air.

The DPAs are fine if you're on a silent stage with in ear monitors and can avoid bleed between the guitar and vocal, but introduce foldback and a band or accompanists and it becomes a muddy, feedback prone nightmare without pro monitor and FOH engineers.

These are, though, a great solution for hard to amplify instruments like resonators when you don't want to be mic-bound. I'd rather blend a 57 with a mag pickup for a gig with a reso. I use a Krivo Resobucker with my '30s fiddle edge Dobro which works beautifully with a 57 in for a little air.

Hey, thanks Jinder, very informative! So we may as well take the Neumann (KM184) and hear the people chatting in the next room as I play?

Now resos.....use to struggle with the 57 on my metal Dobro in bigger places - sounded fab out front but couldn't get any level back...ok until they blast the vocal through....wow, awful.

Now my luthier recommended the Schatten pickup for reso on my tricone and M14 wood body single cone, very nice but here is a trick for you....once you get electricty running, plug in a small percent in your Aura. Just plugging into it makes some kind of reso magic - in the Spectrum it has reso but woodies, but I prefer just a small amount of dread.

Instead of spending all that money for mic, I plugged my S35 with undersaddle in to the Aura PLUS put the iRig system on it and ran each to a channel of my mixer. Sounds superb, but leads running everywhere. Looks like a whisky still in my music room.

BluesKing777.

Archived