Gibson Brands Forums

Some history of my R7

saturn

After the Photobucket scandal of a few months ago, I lost track of a lot of my old digital photos. I went back and consolidated photos from a few different old hard drives. The good thing about digital photos is that they have a time stamp, so I was able piece together some memories of a timeline that had become kind of foggy to me. Most of these photos of the R7 were posted here at earlier times when they were hosted on PB, but I thought I would post them again for my own memory and maybe someone else might find it interesting.

This photo was taken by me the day we brought the guitar back to his house and according to the File Info it was taken on September 7, 2008 at 4:13pm. Notice the Gibson Custom sticker is on the pick guard and the plastic cap wasn't yet screwed onto the toggle switch.

7UCqtJd.jpg

At 5:33 I took this picture with Ed holding the guitar and the Custom sticker was removed and the cap was screwed onto the toggle switch. Ohh Ahh. rolleyes.gif

W659Am1.jpg

A few years later in 2010, Ed and I posed at a gig with each others guitars. Him with my Studio and me with his R7. Even though he played drums in the band he liked to bring his guitars for me to play. Notice he removed the pick guard at some time and I don't know what ever happened to it.

GSA8Fqq.jpg

Lastly is the photo I took about a week after he passed away when the guitar officially became mine. It's dated June 15, 2014 and tucked under the strings is the photo above I took on the day he bought it. That photo stays in the case to this day.

bORVSaW.jpg

Putting these old photos together puts things in perspective for me and just drives home how fast time flies by.

Well, since I'm telling boring personal stories, I'll tell a longer one about that photo above with Ed and I both posing.

That night turned out to be the final gig we ever played with our band at that time named Eclipse. We never broke up officially, but our gigs dwindled away because the places we played regularly stopped having live music. The BMI thing was too much hassle for them.

Anyway, in Eclipse we had a really good female singer, but she couldn't make that gig. We didn't know at the time it would be the final gig. A friend of the band Chuck sat in with us. Since Carol sang about 60% of our songs, we had to totally change our set list and ended up doing a bunch of songs with Chuck that we never even rehearsed. In the second set, we pulled out "La Grange". You know that part where the instruments all stop playing and there's a drum break? Well something happened and we didn't come back in right away. Ed played the drum break again, and again etc until he was into a full fledged drum solo. msp_unsure.gif like Bonham or something. It dragged on so long I was visibly uncomfortable and leaned over to Mike on bass and said "WTF is he doing?" He just shrugged. After what seemed like an eternity the drum solo mercifully came to an end. msp_thumbup.gif We said something like "Hey let's hear it for Ed on the drums" and there was some half-hearted applause. We went on with the set and forgot all about it. Until we went on break again and Ed came up to us with a concerned look asking why we left him hanging out there on La Grange???? Here we thought he was blowing off steam and wanted to play a big solo, but he was really waiting for us to all come back in, which we never did. msp_biggrin.gif He was more embarrassed than us. When I realized the confusion I couldn't stop laughing, especially looking at the truly distressed look on Ed's face. smile.gif

I remember you posting when he suddenly passed away - during a rehearsal wasn't it?

And it's that long ago already......

Good stuff, best wishes.

Yeah. that was 3 years ago in June. A bunch of us were over his house jamming in the basement. We just finished "Sympathy For The Devil" and everyone was telling each other

what a great job they did blah blah blah. I was standing next to Ed's drum kit with his Gold Top strapped on, and out of the corner of my eye something moved. I turned to see him hitting the floor, and thought he just slipped. When I reached down to help him up he wasn't responding and his arm was locked stiff. I quickly removed the guitar and leaned it against his flat screen TV and asked everyone else to help. Ed had an old school friend down on his luck named Ron who was staying at his house while he was getting his life back on track. Ron came down with nitro glycerin pills and I put some under his tongue. Ron called 911 and Steve and Joe started CPR and mouth-to-mouth. Ron was flipping out, yelling at 911 dispatcher to hurry because Ed was the only one who believes in him and all this crazy stuff, so Dave had to take the phone from him and rationally tell 911 what is happening. Unfortunately none of it worked.

A few days later, when a lot of us were back at his house to get our stuff that was left there, his mom and cousins told us to take whatever music stuff we wanted. What was left was going in to probate and they didn't want to deal with it and would rather see his friends use it than sell it off to strangers. I felt a little icky, but you know damn well I was getting that Les Paul. I also ended up with his conga drums and some pedals.

He had a real nice Sonor drum set, which seemed to be worth a lot of money. I tried selling them for the family hoping to get $2000 to $1500, but after about a week and no luck they decided to put them in an estate sale. I think they ended up selling for $450 msp_cursing.gif We all kicked ourselves for not pitching in and buying the drum set and just keeping them set up at Steve's house for when we play there.

If you think this is a long story, just know that I'm leaving out hundreds of details, and odd coincidences. rolleyes.gif

For his memorial service, I made 2 of those slide shows with a bunch of old photos. Most were band shots. I gave the DVDs to his family and uploaded the files to Youtube. One was set to the music of "You're My Best Friend" by Queen and The Beatles medley from Abbey Road. Youtube muted the audio on that one for Copyright issues, so I deleted it. For some reason they left this one alone. eusa_think.gif

I remember too. I think I may have been the one to suggest the TRC because I had one made for the Les Paul I inherited from my father in law, Joe. I also have a small picture of him pasted to the inside of the control cavity cover.

Yeah Surf, I think it was you who suggested the TRC. Thanks again. I posted a pic awhile ago in the "Saturday I'll Use This" thread, but here it is again.

RkPyOIT.jpg

Looking at pics again, I notice that in the photo I took when I got the guitar, the original TRC is upside down. So somewhere along the way either Ed or someone else messed with the truss rod. eusa_think.gif

Yeah Surf, I think it was you who suggested the TRC. Thanks again. I posted a pic awhile ago in the "Saturday I'll Use This" thread, but here it is again.

RkPyOIT.jpg

Looking at pics again, I notice that in the photo I took when I got the guitar, the original TRC is upside down. So somewhere along the way either Ed or someone else messed with the truss rod. eusa_think.gif

I saw it, man - turned out great. I'm sure Ed is loving your tribute and loving the fact that you are playing the guitar regularly!

Also some people flip the TRC for fun (not sure why) so he may have done that and not actually adjusted the TR.

Archived