Gibson Brands Forums

circa 1968 Epiphone Riviera

fredcapo

A friend showed me what looks like a circa 1968 Epiphone Riviera, blonde, with witch hat knobs, paralelogram markers, standard humbucking pickups and stop tail piece. It has a 3 or 5 piece maple neck with volute, epiphone kalamazoo label and impressed serial number beginning with 2xxxxxx.I thought it was nice but not knowing much about the Rivieras, did not closely examine it... now that I did a search, seems like they mostly shipped with mini humbuckers and frequensator tailpieces. Could this be a factory deviation? Anyone see another? Thanks.

Note corrected serial number and other info.

A friend showed me a circa 1968 Epiphone Riviera, blonde, with paralelogram markers, standard humbucking pickups and stop tail piece. Epiphone kalamazoo label and six digit impressed serial number beginning with 4xxxxx. I thought it was nice but not knowing much about the Rivieras, did not closely examine it... now that I did a search, seems like they mostly shipped with mini humbuckers and frequensator tailpieces. Could this be a factory deviation? Anyone see another? Thanks.

If it's really a 1960's example, I think it's very likely that somebody modified it at some point with the full size humbuckers and the stop tailpiece. If that's the case, then the vintage value would be diminished considerably.

Edited my post on Sept 27 due to OP's edit (the actual serial number is much different than the original number given by the OP).

Im going to get it to look over in a few days. I just spoke with Walter Carter, who thought it was unlikely original. The serial number seems to jive with 1968 and the witch hat knobs. But all bets are off till I get a hold of it in a few days. Thanks for your interest.

Looked at the guitar again today, and added some new corrected info to the original post above. I am still unsure, but thinking it could be a hybrid usa and japanese product...

Some features:

Witch hat knobs, multi piece neck with volute, gibson nibs on frets, label says kalamazoo,

Not sure if poly finish, have not examined pots or pickups.

Here is a link to some photos:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1729169477385088&id=1670077719960931

Thanks for interest.

Archived